AlexKissley

Im in the Philippines, how to file tax!

43 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Loren Y said:

I just found this with a quick google search, and it says it doesn't lock you into a filing status when you request an extension, so you may be able to just do it for yourself and fix it when you file later. says you both need an extension in this example off the turbo tax question and answer guide, but he doesn't technicly need to file yet, so I think if you select single on the extension you can change it when you actually file. I was hoping to make this easy for you, I will let you know..

An extension will not lock you into a filing status, but be sure you have a paper copy of both extensions you filed, in case there is an issue with the IRS because you filed under a single extension.

If you expect a refund, it will not matter which extension you file under, as the penalty for failure to file is based on the balance you owe, and if you do not owe, there is no penalty.

If you owe, be sure you have paid in as good of an estimate as you can by April 17, 2018.  The extension is for time to file, not time to pay.

I wonder if this wont get me in trouble later on (filing single). I dont want to mess my husband’s petition. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
16 minutes ago, AlexKissley said:

I wonder if this wont get me in trouble later on (filing single). I dont want to mess my husband’s petition. 

I don't think so, because if you read the second paragraph, you didn't have any income, so it's very doubtful you will owe any taxes, and it says it's only a problem if you file single when you owe money because of the penalty that can be assessed. This is your situation below...

If you expect a refund, it will not matter which extension you file under, as the penalty for failure to file is based on the balance you owe, and if you do not owe, there is no penalty.

So, since you will not owe, you might actually get a refund, I'm sure you are safe to request an extension as single, because you are not filling as single, just requesting a extension as single. Then like you said, spend the next few months getting the ITIN number, and file via mail/ paper return as MFJ or MFS, and you should not have a problem. This is how I see it, but I should have a more definitive answer in the next 5 hours or so.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline
6 hours ago, AlexKissley said:

Heard back from the CPA again, and I had it pretty much right. He said 99% of people request an extension based on their status the last time they filed their taxes. He is assuming you just got married not too long ago, and the last time you filed your taxes you did it as single, so request the extension as single, and you will be fine.

I said any other options? He said not really, your best bet is to file the extension as single no matter what because you really don't have much of a choice without an ITIN number or social right now, and you need an extension. He has never heard of anyone ever having any problems based on how they listed their status when they requested their extension. He agreed that it is not filing your taxes in any way, you are just asking for more time to file, so there is no way he knows of you can get into trouble unless you are maliciously trying to avoid paying taxes by requesting an extension, and even then he has a few clients that request an extension every year in early April because they always owe money every year, and they don't have the 2-3 thousand dollars every in April when it's time to file because they get their big bonus from their employer in like June. So every year they buy themselves a few months time with an extension instead of doing the smart thing and keeping a few thousand dollars from their bonus one year, and use it to pay their taxes next year. He says they are just young kids making more money than they know what to do with, and buying new boats and cars to impress the ladies is more important than paying the Government, so they skate buy until bonus time and take care of it then. He warns them every year that it is going to backfire sooner or later, but these kids now a days...LOL.

I would request the extension as single, and continue with your plan to get the ITIN and in a few months actually file your taxes via Paper filing, and mail service, and you will be fine. he said chances of it causing a problem are very slim unless you request an extension then don't file at all, and that is going to get you red flagged and you becoming the IRS scapegoat of the week.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

14 hours ago, Loren Y said:

Heard back from the CPA again, and I had it pretty much right. He said 99% of people request an extension based on their status the last time they filed their taxes. He is assuming you just got married not too long ago, and the last time you filed your taxes you did it as single, so request the extension as single, and you will be fine.

I said any other options? He said not really, your best bet is to file the extension as single no matter what because you really don't have much of a choice without an ITIN number or social right now, and you need an extension. He has never heard of anyone ever having any problems based on how they listed their status when they requested their extension. He agreed that it is not filing your taxes in any way, you are just asking for more time to file, so there is no way he knows of you can get into trouble unless you are maliciously trying to avoid paying taxes by requesting an extension, and even then he has a few clients that request an extension every year in early April because they always owe money every year, and they don't have the 2-3 thousand dollars every in April when it's time to file because they get their big bonus from their employer in like June. So every year they buy themselves a few months time with an extension instead of doing the smart thing and keeping a few thousand dollars from their bonus one year, and use it to pay their taxes next year. He says they are just young kids making more money than they know what to do with, and buying new boats and cars to impress the ladies is more important than paying the Government, so they skate buy until bonus time and take care of it then. He warns them every year that it is going to backfire sooner or later, but these kids now a days...LOL.

I would request the extension as single, and continue with your plan to get the ITIN and in a few months actually file your taxes via Paper filing, and mail service, and you will be fine. he said chances of it causing a problem are very slim unless you request an extension then don't file at all, and that is going to get you red flagged and you becoming the IRS scapegoat of the week.

Im more worried NVC finding out why i filed single. Ive been filing MFS for the last 3 years. Paper filing. I just cant do it now because im outside US

Timeline

Im more worried NVC finding out why i filed single. Ive been filing MFS for the last 3 years. Paper filing. I just cant do it now because im outside US

You are not officially filing your taxes, just requesting an extension. How did you file the last 3 years without a ITIN? 

Maybe you can request an extension via paper then. Might have to next day air the paperwork to the IRS, but you would have an extension filed at least. That might cover you.

My CPA said there should be a tax person in the Philippines that can help. He says there are a lot of expats that use a CPA outside the country to do their taxes. Have you looked for a local US tax guy?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

You have 3 options:

1.  Find a tax consultant there in PI.

2.  Request an extension as suggested by @Loren Y.  It does not affect your FILING status or 

3.  File from PI per this address:

image.png.c79535c8ddceac3d37896c1a288e8d91.png

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

On 3/30/2019 at 1:02 AM, Loren Y said:

Again, thank you! I do really appreciate this! 

Timeline
8 hours ago, AlexKissley said:

Again, thank you! I do really appreciate this! 

You're welcome, happy to help. Looks like missleman had a couple other options. You could probably file as usual and use that address he had. Good luck with the taxes.

On 3/31/2019 at 8:53 PM, Loren Y said:

You're welcome, happy to help. Looks like missleman had a couple other options. You could probably file as usual and use that address he had. Good luck with the taxes.

So I filed an extension and I put single so i can proceed with it. My problem now is Im about ready to submit my affidavit of support for my husband. I included tax transcript 2016 & 2017. Will they look for 2018 transcript? Should I include the letter that Im getting an extension for 2018? Thank you

Timeline
20 minutes ago, AlexKissley said:

So I filed an extension and I put single so i can proceed with it. My problem now is Im about ready to submit my affidavit of support for my husband. I included tax transcript 2016 & 2017. Will they look for 2018 transcript? Should I include the letter that Im getting an extension for 2018? Thank you

As long as you submit it before April 15th, they won't be looking for 2018. After April 15 they will be looking for 2018. I would keep proof of the extension handy in case down the line they ask about it.

On 4/3/2019 at 6:53 PM, payxibka said:

Do you even have a tax liability for 2018?

How would you know? 

This tax is really confusing. Thats why i always go to a tax preparer

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, AlexKissley said:

How would you know? 

This tax is really confusing. Thats why i always go to a tax preparer

You yourself said no income in 2018.  No income,  no income tax

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.