Ualbert

Wife/Mon of US Citizens applying for B2visa after abandoning green card

6 posts in this topic

Good morning!
After doing research in the forum, I could not find a similar case so I will try to briefly expose my mother-in-law's situation and hope to hear your opinion about it.
She wants to come to the US to visit her children that are US Citizens. She is still married to their father (naturalized US Citizen in the 1990's), although they have been separated since the mid 1990's but are still officially married. Never really got divorced. She had a green card that was abandoned in the early 2000's and haven't returned it yet which I assume is the first step to take.
She has no intention to live in the US but also doesn't work or own property in her home country as she is supported by her mother that is sick and she currently takes care of.
Would it be advised for her to come to the US with the intention of divorcing her husband or can she prove she is not willing to stay without doing so? What would be the options or next steps she should/could take?
Thanks!
Alex

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I 407 for officially rescinding GC.

She should tell the truth as to why she wishes to visit.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

7 hours ago, Boiler said:

I 407 for officially rescinding GC.

She should tell the truth as to why she wishes to visit.

Hi Boiler! She really only wants to visit her children cause she misses them, both moved to the US in the last 2 years! There is no intention on her part to stay in the US. I wonder if the fact she is still married to their father could cause her problems getting the tourist visa.

Thanks for your reply.

Alex

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Well I guess it could, if she wants to visit her only option is to apply.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

She'll have to disclose the USC husband on the ds160 and be truthful about her intentions at the interview. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.