Deagle

Travel activity and N400

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Does the person's travel activity affect the process time of their N400 application, or could it add hurdles? I should be able to file N400 this year in November, but I have 2 weeks vacation from work. I am thinking if I should stay in the US this year and maybe travel after applying. I moved to the US in 2015 and I made 3 trips already to Lebanon in the Middle East. The visits were for 2 weeks long each.

On my last trip, coming back to the US was terrible. I was detained for 5 hours at the airport and they took my phone and I was asked like a billion questions. But after 5 hours the office gave me the passport, green card and cellphone back and said sorry but he was just doing his job and that I am free to go.

Does it matter if I travel this year or not? what about if I travel to different country for vacation, like Mexico or Canada for vacation?

Thank you

The immigration process caused me PTSD.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
18 hours ago, Deagle said:

Hi everyone,

Does the person's travel activity affect the process time of their N400 application, or could it add hurdles? I should be able to file N400 this year in November, but I have 2 weeks vacation from work. I am thinking if I should stay in the US this year and maybe travel after applying. I moved to the US in 2015 and I made 3 trips already to Lebanon in the Middle East. The visits were for 2 weeks long each.

On my last trip, coming back to the US was terrible. I was detained for 5 hours at the airport and they took my phone and I was asked like a billion questions. But after 5 hours the office gave me the passport, green card and cellphone back and said sorry but he was just doing his job and that I am free to go.

Does it matter if I travel this year or not? what about if I travel to different country for vacation, like Mexico or Canada for vacation?

Thank you

There is no straight forward answer to it, but you're always under watchful eyes of Big Brother. Also, I can confirm visit to countries like Mexico, Canada, Europe, Asia definitely won't affect as long as you're visiting these only for leisure / vacation/ tourism based on personal experience. 

I personally doubt that travelling affect in any ways to N-400 cases, except you can't control questioning / scrutiny at airports. 

N-400 Application Timeline :

Application sent via mail - April 15th  (Field office Dallas, TX)

NOA Receipt date - April 17th

Biometrics receipt - April 22th (appointment scheduled for May 14th)

Biometrics completed - May 7th (Early Walk-in)

Biometrics completed - May 7th (Early Walk-in)

Interview scheduled notification - November 12th (via email - waiting to receive letter in mail for actual Interview date)

Interview completed & Case approved - November 17th

Naturalization Ceremony (in January 2020 - waiting on notice)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Lebanon
Timeline
5 hours ago, love_my_wife said:

It is unfortunate that you got detained for 5 hours. If Lebanon is your home country, there should not be any issues in N400 if you go to Lebanon again. Travelling to Mexico, Canada or any country is same.. However, few countries that are associated with terrorism and conflicts can cast doubt if you go there and the security check part may get delayed if you go to those countries... Otherwise, travel doesn't affect your N400.

Yes, it was very unpleasant experience. I am sure it happens with a lot of people.

36 minutes ago, sharin said:

There is no straight forward answer to it, but you're always under watchful eyes of Big Brother. Also, I can confirm visit to countries like Mexico, Canada, Europe, Asia definitely won't affect as long as you're visiting these only for leisure / vacation/ tourism based on personal experience. 

I personally doubt that travelling affect in any ways to N-400 cases, except you can't control questioning / scrutiny at airports. 

I hope not. I would like to use my 2 weeks vacation from work and go somewhere nice.

The immigration process caused me PTSD.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.