Bella1115

Can i file for AOS after 90 days?

7 posts in this topic

I arrived here in the states last February 10 and got married on March 7. We’re in the process of gathering the documents for my adjustment of status. However, we will be moving to a different apartment on August 08. We are planning to submit my aos application after we move so we wont be having any problem to change the address, will that be okay? Or do i really need to submit it within 90 days as well? Hope you can help me out here guys. Thank you!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

On the K-1, you are authorized to be in the  US for 90 days.

You can file for AOS late after the 90 days.  HOWEVER, between the time that your 90 days on the K-1 are over and when USCIS gets your I-485, you will be out of status.  You can be detained by US immigration and face deportation.  Immigration court will let you file for AOS.

Until you file the I-485, you will be at risk.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, Bella1115 said:

I arrived here in the states last February 10 and got married on March 7. We’re in the process of gathering the documents for my adjustment of status. However, we will be moving to a different apartment on August 08. We are planning to submit my aos application after we move so we wont be having any problem to change the address, will that be okay? Or do i really need to submit it within 90 days as well? Hope you can help me out here guys. Thank you!

you can submit your aos application later as long as you fulfill the very important requirement within 90 days(get married) youll be fine. although you will have no legal status until you submit your aos application..

im not sure if you have to explain in the form why you file late though.

hope you'll have time to submit your application and just update your new address to uscis website when you already move.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I wouldn't delay and just submit. If you move, just inform USCIS. EAD/AP processing times are already increasing more than ever before and it'd be in your best interests not to delay processing. 

Good luck ❤️ 

Edited by jakejon

10 minutes ago, Bella1115 said:

We are planning to submit my aos application after we move so we wont be having any problem to change the address

Go ahead and file the AOS and when you move update your address.  You don't really want to slow down the process.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

If you don't file for AOS, then you can't file for an EAD or AP. 

If you file after moving on August 8, then you are looking at not being able to work (no EAD) or travel internationally and be able to return to the US until 2020.  

File now and update your address when you move.  There are consequences to not filing quickly.  The longer it takes you to become legal, then the longer will be before you can legally work or visit home and be able to return to the US.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
31 minutes ago, Bella1115 said:

Follow the advice of others here but if I can add that I opened a PO Box for mailing only and thats what USCIS has. In case I moved, which I did, my mail will still be going to the same address. Of course then you can update physical address but at least mail wont get missed.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

10685284_10203853223303551_1747007237_n.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.