Sam Kay

Over 120 days, No Green Card.

26 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hey everybody. 

My husband got CR-1 visa approval in August 2018. We paid the visa fee on September 12th, and entered the US on October 25th 2018. It has now been well over 120 days, and still no sign of his green card. He got his SSN shortly after arriving. He has the I-551 in his passport with 1 year endorsement, but his work is still badgering him for his actual green card. I have called, put in requests, and contacted the Ombudsman but we are still waiting for a response. I put in my request with the USCIS weeks ago and was told I'd hear a response on March 21st 2019 , but heard nothing. Even though he has been approved, and has the I-551 in his passport, I am still worried something is wrong. Any advice? Has anyone gone through anything similar? Thanks in advance for your help. 

Well, that is a long time. I don't think something is wrong, it's just somehow they didn't get the green card to him. As far as work is concerned, he is authorized to work for 1 year, so they can badger all they want, but he is authorized to work.

Did you try to make an appointment at the nearest USCIS center?

It is definitely strange. I sponsored my Mom for IR5. She enter 11/11/18, green card received 3 weeks later. 

Timeline
Just now, USS_Voyager said:

Well, that is a long time. I don't think something is wrong, it's just somehow they didn't get the green card to him. As far as work is concerned, he is authorized to work for 1 year, so they can badger all they want, but he is authorized to work.

Did you try to make an appointment at the nearest USCIS center?

It is definitely strange. I sponsored my Mom for IR5. She enter 11/11/18, green card received 3 weeks later. 

Yeah, the work thing sucks because I know they're wrong about it, it has just been a real pain in the ###. Thanks for saying you don't think something is wrong, that is comforting. Making an appointment is surely what our next step has to be, I was just hoping that somehow it could be resolved using the website to put in a request for it. Thanks for your help and advice!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
28 minutes ago, Sam Kay said:

Yeah, the work thing sucks because I know they're wrong about it, it has just been a real pain in the ###. Thanks for saying you don't think something is wrong, that is comforting. Making an appointment is surely what our next step has to be, I was just hoping that somehow it could be resolved using the website to put in a request for it. Thanks for your help and advice!

have you gone to the website and tracked the green card to see what the status is online?

Timeline
Just now, Khallaf said:

have you gone to the website and tracked the green card to see what the status is online?

Yeah, for the longest time it said that they received our payment and we should get the green card within 120 days, and if we haven't we should put in a request that we never got our card. I did this about a month ago. Now it says that on March 21st, they have accepted our request and that it is in process. I'm so frustrated with all the waiting! Thanks for your response.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Sam Kay said:

Yeah, for the longest time it said that they received our payment and we should get the green card within 120 days, and if we haven't we should put in a request that we never got our card. I did this about a month ago. Now it says that on March 21st, they have accepted our request and that it is in process. I'm so frustrated with all the waiting! Thanks for your response.

I feel for you, all though we didn't have to wait that long my husband got his in less than a month after he entered USA we paid it last October he came in just after our 2nd wedding date, and he ended up with a 2 year conditional, now we have to get it fixed.  He has a bio metric appointment next Tuesday to get the updated 10 year green card. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Khallaf said:

I feel for you, all though we didn't have to wait that long my husband got his in less than a month after he entered USA we paid it last October he came in just after our 2nd wedding date, and he ended up with a 2 year conditional, now we have to get it fixed.  He has a bio metric appointment next Tuesday to get the updated 10 year green card. 

I think maybe part of the problem is that We filed overseas at the USCIS office in Seoul, South Korea, so it has made everything so much more complicated. Good luck with the bio appointment! I hope it all goes well. 

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi

I had a similar problem when I arrived in the USA. I had to email the USCIS asking for an update on my physical green card. I arrived in the USA in September 2016 and about 4-6 weeks later my Green Card came in the post. 

I know it can be a bit stressful as some employers do not always understand that the stamp in your passport is your temporary green card until you receive the physical card.

All the best.

~~moved to general immigration discussion from IR1/CR1 process and procedures.  Topic is not visa specific~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
On 3/24/2019 at 3:35 AM, Empress200735 said:

Hi

I had a similar problem when I arrived in the USA. I had to email the USCIS asking for an update on my physical green card. I arrived in the USA in September 2016 and about 4-6 weeks later my Green Card came in the post. 

I know it can be a bit stressful as some employers do not always understand that the stamp in your passport is your temporary green card until you receive the physical card.

All the best.

Thanks so much for your response! That makes me feel better to know you went through something similar. Hopefully know that I've reached out to them I will hear good news about it soon. Thank you!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Albania
Timeline
On 3/22/2019 at 10:16 AM, Sam Kay said:

Hey everybody. 

My husband got CR-1 visa approval in August 2018. We paid the visa fee on September 12th, and entered the US on October 25th 2018. It has now been well over 120 days, and still no sign of his green card. He got his SSN shortly after arriving. He has the I-551 in his passport with 1 year endorsement, but his work is still badgering him for his actual green card. I have called, put in requests, and contacted the Ombudsman but we are still waiting for a response. I put in my request with the USCIS weeks ago and was told I'd hear a response on March 21st 2019 , but heard nothing. Even though he has been approved, and has the I-551 in his passport, I am still worried something is wrong. Any advice? Has anyone gone through anything similar? Thanks in advance for your help. 

You need to pay for it. My nephews had a similar situation. It’s about $200 to $300. We were all suprised that we had to do this last step as it is new. 

Timeline
Just now, Jay and Hime said:

You need to pay for it. My nephews had a similar situation. It’s about $200 to $300. We were all suprised that we had to do this last step as it is new. 

I paid for it on September 12th, before we even entered the US. 

Timeline
Just now, Sam Kay said:

I paid for it on September 12th, before we even entered the US. 

It is new. It’s the same situation. My nephews just came and they paid for it as well. But, there’s another fee you need to pay for immigration to release it. As I said, this is a new step. I had my mom, dad, myself and my son all come to the US years ago  and received our green cards within 4-6 weeks. But, this is a new thing. My nephews just came 2 months ago and need to do this step. Not only them but a co-worker of mines husband who just came in December 2018 as well. Good luck! 

It is new. It’s the same situation. My nephews just came and they paid for it as well. But, there’s another fee you need to pay for immigration to release it. As I said, this is a new step. I had my mom, dad, myself and my son all come to the US years ago  and received our green cards within 4-6 weeks. But, this is a new thing. My nephews just came 2 months ago and need to do this step. Not only them but a co-worker of mines husband who just came in December 2018 as well. Good luck! 

Unfortunately immigration is all about making money 💰 

Timeline

I'm confused. Is it the immigrant visa fee? We were told if we paid it before we enter the US, it would be fine. When I look at our case status online, it says we paid our immigrant visa fee and our card should come in the mail within 120 days. It didn't say anything about a different fee to pay. Where can I pay this new fee? Thanks for your help!

Timeline
On 3/22/2019 at 10:16 AM, Sam Kay said:

Hey everybody. 

It’s separate from the immigration fee. Let me get the letter from my sister and tell you more. Because this was all new to us. I will write back later today. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.