Jump to content
W.Rominger

Name change on passport

6 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

my passport name is a translation from Chinese name and i am thinking adding my English name on it to make my future life in the US easier.

If i use English name+ Chinese name (eg. Winnie Wei, Wong ) on marriage certificate. would they allow it? or the first name has to be exactly the same as on my passport?

Some online article suggest to add the English name in  "as known" name column on my passport.. but i am also worried it might affect on my on going K1 application since i will then have to change passport, and add a different name on it.

 

has anyone gone through this before? 

 

Edited by W.Rominger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, W.Rominger said:

my passport name is a translation from Chinese name and i am thinking adding my English name on it to make my future life in the US easier.

If i use English name+ Chinese name (eg. Winnie Wei, Wong ) on marriage certificate. would they allow it? or the first name has to be exactly the same as on my passport?

 

Are you asking about changing your name on your non-US passport or on your marriage certificate?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ate said:

 

Are you asking about changing your name on your non-US passport or on your marriage certificate?

 

Not married yet. so ... both? 

i would like to change name on my non-US passport. and i read some article says marriage certificate could be a name proof for changing name on IDs like passport and greencard.

so i was wondering if i get to add my English name in my name when register for marriage certificate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, W.Rominger said:

Not married yet. so ... both? 

i would like to change name on my non-US passport. and i read some article says marriage certificate could be a name proof for changing name on IDs like passport and greencard.

so i was wondering if i get to add my English name in my name when register for marriage certificate

Name changes allowed at time of marriage very by local state rules.  Some allow only change of surname,  others allow any or all names to change.   Check the rules in the location you are going to be married in


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Name changes allowed at time of marriage very by local state rules.  Some allow only change of surname,  others allow any or all names to change.   Check the rules in the location you are going to be married in

OMG thank you thank you 

super helpful info 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

~~Moved to the Country portal, from K1 P&P - as the OP is asking about her Chinese passport.~~

 

 

Once you get your passport showing your English name. I would just tell the person at the clerks office that is your name in English and fill it all out like that. Don't confuse them saying it is a name change because they most likely won't allow it. Also when starting the AOS put down your English name and then your Chinese name in the section that says other names used. 


Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×