Jaimekr08

Case reopened for consideration after AOS approval

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi all,

I'm curious if anyone is in a similar situation..

On 1/31 my husband and I had our AOS interview and were approved the next day (we received the approval letter in the mail as well).  However, a few weeks later we received a notice saying that our case had been "Reopened for reconsideration of the previous decision". We made an infopass appointment and they said the immigration officer who interviewed us didnt reopened the case, but it was due to a production error for the card itself. Its been over a month since our status changed and they have given us no timeline and it seems like we are stuck between status'... they also canceled our EAD renewal because they said we are still technically approved....

Has anyone else heard/is in the same situation??

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

So they are saying your husband is technically an LPR, but they are having problems producing the proof of that status?  I would go back down to USCIS then and demand (nicely) an I551 stamp.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
19 minutes ago, LizM said:

When does your current EAD expire?

Our EAD expired Dec 2018, however, we have the 180 extension based on our renewal filed in September 2018. In June 2019, the extension would officially terminate.

Just now, Jaimekr08 said:

Our EAD expired Dec 2018, however, we have the 180 extension based on our renewal filed in September 2018. In June 2019, the extension would officially terminate.

Gotcha, at least it's nice that you have some time to figure it out. But I would suggest the same thing as the other poster, go demand a stamp, since he was approved.

h

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

So they are saying your husband is technically an LPR, but they are having problems producing the proof of that status?  I would go back down to USCIS then and demand (nicely) an I551 stamp.

Good Luck!

Pretty much. 3 officers have told us he is still approved, however, without any formal document I'm not sure it really matters. We have asked if there is something they can provide while we are in limbo and they keep saying no. One officer we met with took our phone numbers and said he would request an expedite for the card, but still nothing from him. Thankfully we made an infopass appt a few weeks ago RIGHT BEFORE they stopped taking appointments, so I'll ask for the I-551 stamp. Hopefully that helps!! Thank you!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, LizM said:

Gotcha, at least it's nice that you have some time to figure it out. But I would suggest the same thing as the other poster, go demand a stamp, since he was approved.

Yeah, thankful we have been on top of things so that we aren't so time crunched.. but at the same time 3 months is like nothing for USCIS when processing times are like 6! Ha! Just sucks to be in this weird limbo land that seems uncommon.. One officer said the GC printer was broken and thats why we are delayed - like I'm sure there is more than one printer in the US!

My friend is in exactly the same spot - approved but then reopened for a couple weeks now. Their case is very simple and no red flags or anything...might be the same issue?

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
1 hour ago, geowrian said:

My friend is in exactly the same spot - approved but then reopened for a couple weeks now. Their case is very simple and no red flags or anything...might be the same issue?

Yeah likely! If infopass appointments are still available in their field office, Id highly recommend going. The Officer told us that there are constantly production issue, generally due to production putting an incorrect expiration date. Seems to be some disconnect between the two different groups though so they can't reach out to them? Its all very odd... After 3 weeks without the card, you can also put in a Service Request. We did that a few weeks ago but originally weren't sure if we could since we didn't know if we were still technically "approved", but the officer encouraged us to.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.