Insulder1

K1 question

6 posts in this topic

Hi, I was married to foreign spouse before and ended in divorce went thought adjustment of status, instead of k1,,   and am wanting to Apply for k1 visa now for someone new I met  and traveled to visit.  The first spouse I was married for 3 years but just recently the divorce is final,  I am considering hiring a attorney I did the entire adjustment of status application with previous spouse my self with no issues,  but read there is more denials now,, is there any benefit in a attorney other can filing the correct documents accurately?  And if I only traveled to meet my new fiancé once is this enough or do I need multiple visits?   Thanks

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you can only file a K1 if you are a US citizen. 

As for meeting once, it is possible but probably depends on how much evidence you have and where they are from.

Edited by Sarah&Facundo

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
8 hours ago, Insulder1 said:

Hi, I was married to foreign spouse before and ended in divorce went thought adjustment of status, instead of k1,,   and am wanting to Apply for k1 visa now for someone new I met  and traveled to visit.  The first spouse I was married for 3 years but just recently the divorce is final,  I am considering hiring a attorney I did the entire adjustment of status application with previous spouse my self with no issues,  but read there is more denials now,, is there any benefit in a attorney other can filing the correct documents accurately?  And if I only traveled to meet my new fiancé once is this enough or do I need multiple visits?   Thanks

Please fill out your timeline, since some answers depend on the country where your fiancé is from.

Yes, you can fill out a new K1 application. No attorney needed, it's pretty DYI if you have a straight forward case (previous filing is still pretty straightforward) An attorney will only fill out the forms for you and charge you a buttload of money.

Only met once depends completely on the country, how long ago it was, if there's an age difference etc. In general, the more face to face time you had the better.

If your fiancé is from, lets say, Nigeria then 1 time meeting is almost a guaranteed denial. Please let us know the situation so this question can be answered more accurate.

13 hours ago, C90 said:

Please fill out your timeline, since some answers depend on the country where your fiancé is from.

Yes, you can fill out a new K1 application. No attorney needed, it's pretty DYI if you have a straight forward case (previous filing is still pretty straightforward) An attorney will only fill out the forms for you and charge you a buttload of money.

Only met once depends completely on the country, how long ago it was, if there's an age difference etc. In general, the more face to face time you had the better.

If your fiancé is from, lets say, Nigeria then 1 time meeting is almost a guaranteed denial. Please let us know the situation so this question can be answered more accurate.

Thank you yes we met once 2 weeks ago but communicated through Skype 4 months prior with text records, she is from Dominican Republic, I traveled to meet here and kept pictures recipts, boarding passes etc, yes the form looks pretty straight forward would, I include my ex spouse on the affidavit of support  even though we are divorced?  Since she is a green card holder and the support on the form lasts 10 years?      I was thinking to go back and visit again for more evidence if needed I was reading on this.   Thank you for reply 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

You will not need to submit the affidavit of support with the I-129f petition, but when adjusting status. 

If you have another affidavit of support it remains legally binding until that individual becomes a US citizen or has earned or can be credited with 40 qualifying quarters (credits) of work in the United States (about 10 years). If your ex loses her lawful permanent residency status and leaves the US it can be terminated. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.