LiamT7

[K1 Question] Just received NOA2. Want to make sure I understand what will happen next.

26 posts in this topic

yeah, the place youre getting it from acts as the certifier, so need to do anything else, you receive the legit birth certificate and youre ready to go !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Zoeeeeeee said:

Ah, ok, I see! It comes like that! I’ve ordered mine in the same way, but it’s not here yet (ordered 18th feb, so I’m expecting it any day). I thought you’d taken it to a professional to be certified (like when you have photos certified for a passport) which confused me - thanks for clarifying.

No problem, it was very easy to get a certified copy. I thought it would have been a bit more difficult to get mine as I was born in Greece, but I had no issues :) 

Timeline
20 hours ago, LiamT7 said:

So I had no idea where my birth certificate was so I applied a copy by going to https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate. It took around a week to get it and when I received it, it states clearly that it is a certified copy.

I have attached a picture of it below. 

20190315_191503.jpg

You were born in Greece right? So your birth certificate is in Greek. I was born abroad too, somewhere in the Middle East. Can I also request for that document? Or no? Assuming I wasn’t born in a European country. I’m really not sure how it works, man. Being born in a foreign country seems to make things too difficult.

My plan was to translate my birth certificate to English and provide them with that. Would that not be enough then?? If anyone else can help I’d appreciate that too.

6 minutes ago, VanillaCats said:

You were born in Greece right? So your birth certificate is in Greek. I was born abroad too, somewhere in the Middle East. Can I also request for that document? Or no? Assuming I wasn’t born in a European country. I’m really not sure how it works, man. Being born in a foreign country seems to make things too difficult.

My plan was to translate my birth certificate to English and provide them with that. Would that not be enough then?? If anyone else can help I’d appreciate that too.

is this what you need to apply for ?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/overseas-birth-certificate

Timeline
1 minute ago, VanillaCats said:

Even though I was born in Greece, my parents decided to only get me British citizenship, so my birth certificate is a British one that went through the British Consulate in Athens, Greece. Still a British birth certificate, just filed abroad. I know that any documents in a foreign language have to be translated to the language of the consulate/embassy you are going through. To request for your birth certificate, I assume it would either be a case of finding the contact details for that department of your birth certificate country, or failing that, contact your nearest consulate/embassy of that country.

Timeline
Just now, skjourney said:

If you have a British birth certificate that was filed abroad, then yes this is correct. Otherwise, it would have to go through the government of your birth country.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, LiamT7 said:

Even though I was born in Greece, my parents decided to only get me British citizenship, so my birth certificate is a British one that went through the British Consulate in Athens, Greece. Still a British birth certificate, just filed abroad. I know that any documents in a foreign language have to be translated to the language of the consulate/embassy you are going through. To request for your birth certificate, I assume it would either be a case of finding the contact details for that department of your birth certificate country, or failing that, contact your nearest consulate/embassy of that country.

Oh right. I have dual citizenship of both Britain and my birth country. I don’t have a british birth certificate. I already have my foreign birth certificate in my hand, it’s sort of like a mini passport in terms of appearance. Should I just get that translated? Would that be enough for the interview you think?

i know for the UK birth certificate you need the longer type which lists both parents names. I had the short form and had to apply for a copy of the long form.

Timeline
1 minute ago, VanillaCats said:

Oh right. I have dual citizenship of both Britain and my birth country. I don’t have a british birth certificate. I already have my foreign birth certificate in my hand, it’s sort of like a mini passport in terms of appearance. Should I just get that translated? Would that be enough for the interview you think?

Ah okay. In that case, if you want to order a copy of your British birth certificate, I ordered my overseas filed one at https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate. In regards to the translation, I have read in multiple places that any foreign documents that you need to take to the interview need to be professionally translated. If you go to https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/u-s-passports/u-s-passport-faqs/supporting-documents/, it tells you here what needs to be done with foreign birth certificates.

It states "Written translations by an accredited translator are required for any documents not in English."

3 minutes ago, skjourney said:

i know for the UK birth certificate you need the longer type which lists both parents names. I had the short form and had to apply for a copy of the long form.

Yes, this is important too. I did not know there were the two kinds, but when I ordered mine, I got the long form with my parents' names.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
27 minutes ago, LiamT7 said:

I know that any documents in a foreign language have to be translated to the language of the consulate/embassy you are going through. 

They have to be translated into English, the language of the United States, because you are applying for a US visa. The way you said that sounds like if you were interviewing in Spain your English documents would need to be in Spanish, etc. Not sure if that was what you meant.

29 minutes ago, LiamT7 said:

In regards to the translation, I have read in multiple places that any foreign documents that you need to take to the interview need to be professionally translated. If you go to https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/u-s-passports/u-s-passport-faqs/supporting-documents/, it tells you here what needs to be done with foreign birth certificates.

That link you provided is under US citizen services, which you aren't. You need to be in the Visa section on your K1 instruction page> Required documents.

Documents do not need a paid professional translation service. They must be signed and "certified" by the translator who writes a statement that includes two things:

• The translations are accurate and complete; and

• He or she is competent to translate from the foreign language into English. 

If your birth certificate was in German, you could use anyone fluent in both English and German...maybe the German teacher you know down the road for example. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Wuozopo said:

They have to be translated into English, the language of the United States, because you are applying for a US visa. The way you said that sounds like if you were interviewing in Spain your English documents would need to be in Spanish, etc. Not sure if that was what you meant.

That link you provided is under US citizen services, which you aren't. You need to be in the Visa section on your K1 instruction page> Required documents.

Documents do not need a paid professional translation service. They must be signed and "certified" by the translator who writes a statement that includes two things:

• The translations are accurate and complete; and

• He or she is competent to translate from the foreign language into English. 

If your birth certificate was in German, you could use anyone fluent in both English and German...maybe the German teacher you know down the road for example. 

That’s what I was planning to do. One of my family friends is translating for me. Would that be enough then for my birth certificate? They would accept it and I don’t need to provide anything else?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.