Jump to content
Rianne

Affidavit of Support

14 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, 

 I am confused with affidavit of support. 

Me and my husband file,” married jointly filing return”. So when I petition my parents, does my husband needs to sponsor also? 

(Id like to petition my parents without my husband as a cosponsor). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Rianne said:

Hello everyone, 

 I am confused with affidavit of support. 

Me and my husband file,” married jointly filing return”. So when I petition my parents, does my husband needs to sponsor also? 

(Id like to petition my parents without my husband as a cosponsor). 

 No he doesn’t need to co-sponsor. I sponsored my mom by myself even my wife and I file taxes jointly 

Edited by USS_Voyager

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

 No he doesn’t need to co-sponsor. I sponsored my mom by myself even my wife and I file taxes jointly 

 

Assuming that OP has enough income on her own to qualify as a sponsor and doesn't need to combine income with her husband to meet the income threshold to support 2 (presumably elderly) immigrants.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

 No he doesn’t need to co-sponsor. I sponsored my mom by myself even my wife and I file taxes jointly 

What do you write on # household if you file just yourself. Right now we have 3 household total ( me, hubby and my daughter). Should I write 3? 

What should I answer? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Rianne said:

What do you write on # household if you file just yourself. Right now we have 3 household total ( me, hubby and my daughter). Should I write 3? 

What should I answer? 

 

5, the three if you and your parents. And your income has to be enough for household of 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

5, the three if you and your parents. And your income has to be enough for household of 5

From our experience.... it is 4 on each I864 as each petition stands alone , and at the time of filing the I 864 each petition is still in the application stage ... not accepted.. so you aren’t already sponsoring any else at that stage 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

From our experience.... it is 4 on each I864 as each petition stands alone , and at the time of filing the I 864 each petition is still in the application stage ... not accepted.. so you aren’t already sponsoring any else at that stage 

Doesn’t it ask “if you’re sponsoring any other immigrant”? I have to look at the form again. It’s been a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

Doesn’t it ask “if you’re sponsoring any other immigrant”? I have to look at the form again. It’s been a while.

Yes but the way it was explained to us was that a petition that is not yet adjudicated isn’t “sponsoring “ yet.  Our son’s I 864s for both my husband and I .... IR5.... processing at the same time through the system and interviewed together at the consulate .... used his household 6.. plus 1. No RFE or pushback from either NVC or CO

Edited by Lil bear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Rianne said:

What income should you have to get approve for  household 5?

If I remember correctly, the Insturctions for completing the I 864 form ... found on the USCIS webpage, tells you were to find the table of household incomes 

Search for I 864P

Edited by Lil bear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2019 at 5:24 PM, Lil bear said:

From our experience.... it is 4 on each I864 as each petition stands alone , and at the time of filing the I 864 each petition is still in the application stage ... not accepted.. so you aren’t already sponsoring any else at that stage 

Lil bear is right. You are a family of 4 on each application. When they ask “are you sponsoring anyone else?” they mean “are you currently/actively/already sponsoring anyone else?” They don’t mean “do you plan/wish/hope to sponsor someone else?” 

 

For the income you need for 4 people, google poverty lines 2019, find 100% for household of 4, and multiply it with 1.25.

 

i hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...