Jump to content

I-864: Joint sponsor or household member

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I am an American citizen bringing my British husband over. I have no income and my mother is signing the affidavit of support. I am currently living with my husband in the UK while studying a masters here. Our British address is the one I have registered with USCIS. I can prove domicile at my mother's house, however, through bank statements and car registration. 


My question is, should my mother fill out the I-864 as a joint sponsor, or the I-864A as a household member?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, aleful said:



the i864, since you don't currently live with her



And because you cannot combine your zero income with hers.  I-864a is for combining income or for spouse's filing joint tax returns, even if one has no income.  You provide your own I-864 as primary sponsor as well.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.