Queeny GD

Can I keep my Maiden Middle name after marriage or it should be my maiden surname that us required to be my middle name after marriage?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi, we just got married this month and we are to go to SSA to change my name on the card. We live in Louisiana and would like to know if I can keep my Maiden Middlename (which is my mom's surname) after marriage instead of my maiden surname when we file for AOS soon.

Say for example my maiden name is: Jane Doe(mother's surname) Smith (father's surname); after marriage I want it to be Jane Doe(mother's surname) Kelly(husband's last name). ?

~ Two identical topics in two additional sections removed. Please do not post more than once on the same issue. It won’t get you any additional responses and will aggravate responders that you can’t keep to just one topic. ~ 

vj moderation 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Yes that is the American way. It might not be recognized in your country so you should be asking ppl in your country rather than on VJ.

Unfortunately, you probably wont be able to change your name at all until you receive your EAD or GC in your new married name. SSA requires your to be changed on your official Immigration documents first so the first step to change your name as an immigrant is to apply for AOS in your new married name. It's not like Americans who change their name on the SSN card first ti change their name. Likely you wont have ANY ID in your new married name for several months and that's completely normal.

You can try at SSA but it's unlikely.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
3 hours ago, Queeny GD said:

Hi, we just got married this month and we are to go to SSA to change my name on the card. We live in Louisiana and would like to know if I can keep my Maiden Middlename (which is my mom's surname) after marriage instead of my maiden surname when we file for AOS soon.

Say for example my maiden name is: Jane Doe(mother's surname) Smith (father's surname); after marriage I want it to be Jane Doe(mother's surname) Kelly(husband's last name). ?

If you're asking if you can change your first or middle name on the SSN then no, not just like that. To officially change your first or middle name you'd have to request a name change, usually this goes via court but that's something state/county specific. After your name is officially changed you can change it on your SSN, EAD/AP, GC etc.

Changing your last name on the SSN to your married name is completely fine, just go to the SSO with your ID, I-94 (valid for at least another 2-3 weeks) and marriage certificate.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Yes that is the American way. It might not be recognized in your country so you should be asking ppl in your country rather than on VJ.

Unfortunately, you probably wont be able to change your name at all until you receive your EAD or GC in your new married name. SSA requires your to be changed on your official Immigration documents first so the first step to change your name as an immigrant is to apply for AOS in your new married name. It's not like Americans who change their name on the SSN card first ti change their name. Likely you wont have ANY ID in your new married name for several months and that's completely normal.

You can try at SSA but it's unlikely.

SSA simply wants to see proof of name change, a marriage certificate will do the job. It's just very important that the I-94 is valid for at least another 2-3 weeks (preferably longer since most people go through manual verification these days and that takes 3-4 weeks).

I changed my name on my SSN before I even filed for AOS with just my MC and there was no problem at all.

18 minutes ago, C90 said:

SSA simply wants to see proof of name change, a marriage certificate will do the job. It's just very important that the I-94 is valid for at least another 2-3 weeks (preferably longer since most people go through manual verification these days and that takes 3-4 weeks).

I changed my name on my SSN before I even filed for AOS with just my MC and there was no problem at all.

And I tried to change my name with over a month left on my I94 and 5 months later I still only have a maiden name card (like many others).

I just didnt want her to assume it was a sure thing that she can get it. Because if your agent follows the rules of SSA, you cant get a name change until after DHS updates your status and name. Those are the rules. You were lucky. She might not be.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Timeline
40 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

And I tried to change my name with over a month left on my I94 and 5 months later I still only have a maiden name card (like many others).

I just didnt want her to assume it was a sure thing that she can get it. Because if your agent follows the rules of SSA, you cant get a name change until after DHS updates your status and name. Those are the rules. You were lucky. She might not be.

Weird, cause my SSA agent said he just had to do manual verification again to change my maiden name to married name and they get a whole lot of immigrants at that office. So it might just be state bound rules (what sounds kinda weird). 

I know multiple people who changed their name before filing AOS with MC since SSO only need proof of name change. Also, I had 2,5 months left on my I-94, so I they had a lot of time to do my manual verification.

Also not saying it's guaranteed she can change it, sometimes manual verification takes so long that the I-94 expires and then you have to wait to EAD or GC

Edited by C90

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.