enabe

Naturalized USC (divorcee) , K-1 Question

14 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I married my ex-husband in the Philippines right after I obtained my American Citizenship (I'm a naturalized US Citizen from the Philippines).  Unfortunately, we ended up divorcing here in California a couple years later.  It's been a while since we've separated and I have met someone else in the Philippines that I'd like to spend my life with.  Problem is my CENOMAR will show that I am currently married in the Philippines.  Do I need still need to go to court and wait 1-1.5 year (that's a conservative estimate but Philippine bureaucracy might set me back a couple more years) for the recognition of divorce decree to proceed with a K-1 filing?

I have been reading conflicting accounts saying that the naturalized American Citizens from the Philippines were still being asked to show a CENOMAR for the K-1 process.  How correct is this?   Thanks in advance.

44 minutes ago, enabe said:

Hi all,

I married my ex-husband in the Philippines right after I obtained my American Citizenship (I'm a naturalized US Citizen from the Philippines).  Unfortunately, we ended up divorcing here in California a couple years later.  It's been a while since we've separated and I have met someone else in the Philippines that I'd like to spend my life with.  Problem is my CENOMAR will show that I am currently married in the Philippines.  Do I need still need to go to court and wait 1-1.5 year (that's a conservative estimate but Philippine bureaucracy might set me back a couple more years) for the recognition of divorce decree to proceed with a K-1 filing?

I have been reading conflicting accounts saying that the naturalized American Citizens from the Philippines were still being asked to show a CENOMAR for the K-1 process.  How correct is this?   Thanks in advance.

I myself was divorced here in california, which i married my ex-wife in the Philippines. The only route u can take is K1 which i did as well and now we are on the process for ROC. U need to include also the divorce decree when u file. U dont need to include ur cenomar as far as i know.

N-400:

08/04/2018 - Online Application Completed!

ROC @ CSC:

06/08/2018 - Mailed Application at USPS.

06/09/2018 - Delivered at USPS P.O. Box.

06/25/2018 - Check has been cashed.

06/25/2018 - NOA1 (USPS).

03/08/2019 - Case Txt/Email Notification for activity.

03/08/2019 - Fingerprint Waived.

03/18/2019 - Letter Notification Received for Biometrics waived.

06/03/2019 - Received Biometrics appointment notice  (usps). (notice date 05/24/2019)

06/04/2019 - Sent request to reschedule biometrics appt for 1 day delivery using usps since wife is out of the country.

06/05/2019 - ASC center received request to reschedule biometrics.

07/23/2019 - We ordered your new card online status!

07/24/2019 - Case Approved online status.

07/31/2019 - Received Green Card!

6 minutes ago, GaRaS said:

I myself was divorced here in california, which i married my ex-wife in the Philippines. The only route u can take is K1 which i did as well and now we are on the process for ROC. U need to include also the divorce decree when u file. U dont need to include ur cenomar as far as i know.

Thanks so much for your reply. I was worried that I would have to do a court proceeding for the divorce then include my own cleared Cenomar. Wheww.

Just now, enabe said:

Thanks so much for your reply. I was worried that I would have to do a court proceeding for the divorce then include my own cleared Cenomar. Wheww.

Only problem is i am still married in the Philippines and im not gonna spend for P200k, just to have it annulled or divorce. Lastly u need to have a lot of evidence for the K1. My story was,  before we took the k1 route and i know i need to have a solid evidence that my relationship to my current wife was real/solid, i had her applied for tourist visa. When she was at embassy for the interview, she was ask who is the person that she is going to see. And she mentioned my name and ask what was her relationship to me which she mentioned BF. Then the consul look up my name and found that i was still currently married at that time while my divorce is ongoing. She was denied right away. Fast forward we took the K1 route since i was divorced at that time already, we have a lot of evidence and got approved.

N-400:

08/04/2018 - Online Application Completed!

ROC @ CSC:

06/08/2018 - Mailed Application at USPS.

06/09/2018 - Delivered at USPS P.O. Box.

06/25/2018 - Check has been cashed.

06/25/2018 - NOA1 (USPS).

03/08/2019 - Case Txt/Email Notification for activity.

03/08/2019 - Fingerprint Waived.

03/18/2019 - Letter Notification Received for Biometrics waived.

06/03/2019 - Received Biometrics appointment notice  (usps). (notice date 05/24/2019)

06/04/2019 - Sent request to reschedule biometrics appt for 1 day delivery using usps since wife is out of the country.

06/05/2019 - ASC center received request to reschedule biometrics.

07/23/2019 - We ordered your new card online status!

07/24/2019 - Case Approved online status.

07/31/2019 - Received Green Card!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
30 minutes ago, GaRaS said:

K1 is not the only option.  OP can marry her fiance in Hong Kong or Singapore or anywhere else outside the Philippines, then file for CR1 ☺️

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 hours ago, enabe said:

Hi all,

You are a naturalized USC?  Are you also a dual citizen now?      

Primary.  Enter the Philippines using your U.S. passport.

You have two ways to process (without the recognition of divorce or annulment process).    1) Get a Legal Capacity to Marry Affidavit from the embassy, plus present a copy of your divorce decree with the CENOMAR when you apply for the marriage license*.  Then complete the IR/CR-1 visa route.   2) Petition your fiancee for a K-1 visa and get married in the USA, of course including a copy of your divorce decree with the paperwork.

*USC can not apply for recognition of divorce or annulment, they simply provide a copy of the divorce decree at the local registry when getting married.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

7 hours ago, Hank_ said:

You are a naturalized USC?  Are you also a dual citizen now?      

Primary.  Enter the Philippines using your U.S. passport.

You have two ways to process (without the recognition of divorce or annulment process).    1) Get a Legal Capacity to Marry Affidavit from the embassy, plus present a copy of your divorce decree with the CENOMAR when you apply for the marriage license*.  Then complete the IR/CR-1 visa route.   2) Petition your fiancee for a K-1 visa and get married in the USA, of course including a copy of your divorce decree with the paperwork.

*USC can not apply for recognition of divorce or annulment, they simply provide a copy of the divorce decree at the local registry when getting married.

No not a dual but I did get married in the Philippines and it was registered there. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I was able to get my cemomar cleared in a very short time. My wife was a US citizen at the time we divorced. I sent my gf there a copy of my divorce judgement and a copy of my ex-wife naturalization certificate. She gave to lawyer and within 30 days it was clear. 

Timeline
56 minutes ago, enabe said:

No not a dual but I did get married in the Philippines and it was registered there. 

No issue that you were married in the Philippines.   Same applies

You are not a Philippine citizen, you are a USC, do bring your U.S. passport to the local registry when you apply for the marriage license if marrying in the Philippines is your plan.

You have two ways to process (without the recognition of divorce or annulment process).   

1) Get a Legal Capacity to Marry Affidavit from the embassy, plus present a copy of your divorce decree with the CENOMAR (if it is asked for) when you apply for the marriage license*.  Then complete the IR/CR-1 visa route.   

2) Petition your fiancee for a K-1 visa and get married in the USA, of course including a copy of your divorce decree with the paperwork.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
49 minutes ago, Commish10 said:

I was able to get my cemomar cleared in a very short time. My wife was a US citizen at the time we divorced. I sent my gf there a copy of my divorce judgement and a copy of my ex-wife naturalization certificate. She gave to lawyer and within 30 days it was clear. 

Hmm ?   Something fishy there and it is not the open market

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
1 hour ago, Commish10 said:

You were married in the Philippines or USA?

If in the USA, did you complete ROM?

If you married in the Phils or in the USA and completed ROM and there is no record on file .. its for sure a fish market smell.

Oh .. ask the mods to remove your pics as that has personal information.  

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Two post removed for personal information~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.