Jump to content
Texas2016

Applied for I-751 and now we are almost divorced :-(

20 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Good morning everyone,

 

my husband and I filed jointly for the I-751. At the end of this month, we will have our court date for our divorce. I am sad, stressed and anxious. Since we were still married on January 1st, 2019, we were thinking that we have to file our taxes together, however I just found out that we could also do our taxes as married filing separately. I do not know what would be best to do from an immigration point of view. Once I have the divorce decree, I will send that to USCIS together with an affidavit from a mutual friend, a letter from me explaining what is going on and a letter from out marriage counselor. Do you guys know what would be best to do in regards to filing taxes and if I should add any more documents to the second package I am sending?

 

In the initial application, I included loads of pictures, shared bank accounts / credit cards, mortgage, apartment lease etc.

 

Let me know. Thanks everyone for your help in advance.

Edited by Texas2016

K1 visa process

2016-02-07: I-129f sent;
2016-02-12: I-129f text received;
2016-04-06: (54 days): NOA2 :dancing:;
2016-04-11: NOA2 hardcopy;
2016-04-25: NVC received;
2016-04-26: Case number received;
2016-05-11: Medical Appointment at Knightsbridge medical, London;

2016-06-24: K1 interview at US embassy in London --> Approved! :dancing:;

2016-08-04: POE at Atlanta airport;
2016-08-22: Got married;

Filing for AOS, EAD and AP from K1 visa

2016-09-09: Filed for AOS;
2016-09-11: AOS package delivered at PO box in Chicago;

2016-09-19: Texts and e-mails received for AOS, EAD and AP;

2016-10-01: Received biometrics appointment notice letter - Appointment has been made for 2016-10-11;

2016-10-11: Biometrics appointment;

2016-11-03: Received approval for AP and EAD;

2016-11-18: Received EAD/AP combo card :dancing:;
2016-11-29: I-485 (AOS) approval date :dancing: ;
2016-12-03: Received I-485 approval notice letter;
2016-12-05: Received a notification that my card is mailed to me;
2016-12-07: Received my Permanent Resident card :dancing:;

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do whatever you prefer with your tax situation, it should have no impact on your case as you are going to use a divorce waiver 


Spoiler

 

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2019 at 12:53 PM, Kastrs said:

Do whatever you prefer with your tax situation, it should have no impact on your case as you are going to use a divorce waiver 

So it does not matter whether we file together or separate?


K1 visa process

2016-02-07: I-129f sent;
2016-02-12: I-129f text received;
2016-04-06: (54 days): NOA2 :dancing:;
2016-04-11: NOA2 hardcopy;
2016-04-25: NVC received;
2016-04-26: Case number received;
2016-05-11: Medical Appointment at Knightsbridge medical, London;

2016-06-24: K1 interview at US embassy in London --> Approved! :dancing:;

2016-08-04: POE at Atlanta airport;
2016-08-22: Got married;

Filing for AOS, EAD and AP from K1 visa

2016-09-09: Filed for AOS;
2016-09-11: AOS package delivered at PO box in Chicago;

2016-09-19: Texts and e-mails received for AOS, EAD and AP;

2016-10-01: Received biometrics appointment notice letter - Appointment has been made for 2016-10-11;

2016-10-11: Biometrics appointment;

2016-11-03: Received approval for AP and EAD;

2016-11-18: Received EAD/AP combo card :dancing:;
2016-11-29: I-485 (AOS) approval date :dancing: ;
2016-12-03: Received I-485 approval notice letter;
2016-12-05: Received a notification that my card is mailed to me;
2016-12-07: Received my Permanent Resident card :dancing:;

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Texas2016 said:

So it does not matter whether we file together or separate?

I’m in the same boat as you I did the I-751 married but we heading to divorce and filed my taxes separately it won’t be an issue I guess...let’s keep our fingers crossed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone, I went to an immigration lawyer today and he confused me so much.

 

I was under the impression that I always needed to inform USCIS of any status change such as a divorce even if I was still married at the time of applying for the I-751 form, however this lawyer is saying I should just not do anything and wait for my greencard unless they send me an RFE cause they found out about the divorce. We can then deal with it and send them the divorce decree. I do not understand, this was not what I got from Visajourney or people with similar experiences.

 

Also, he is saying that I should start the application from scratch, because of my name changing back to my maiden name. I thought I could request for this to be changed on my greencard when I send them the divorce decree and if they will not do it, I can pay for a new greencard once I got it. Could someone please help and advice, because I am so confused.


K1 visa process

2016-02-07: I-129f sent;
2016-02-12: I-129f text received;
2016-04-06: (54 days): NOA2 :dancing:;
2016-04-11: NOA2 hardcopy;
2016-04-25: NVC received;
2016-04-26: Case number received;
2016-05-11: Medical Appointment at Knightsbridge medical, London;

2016-06-24: K1 interview at US embassy in London --> Approved! :dancing:;

2016-08-04: POE at Atlanta airport;
2016-08-22: Got married;

Filing for AOS, EAD and AP from K1 visa

2016-09-09: Filed for AOS;
2016-09-11: AOS package delivered at PO box in Chicago;

2016-09-19: Texts and e-mails received for AOS, EAD and AP;

2016-10-01: Received biometrics appointment notice letter - Appointment has been made for 2016-10-11;

2016-10-11: Biometrics appointment;

2016-11-03: Received approval for AP and EAD;

2016-11-18: Received EAD/AP combo card :dancing:;
2016-11-29: I-485 (AOS) approval date :dancing: ;
2016-12-03: Received I-485 approval notice letter;
2016-12-05: Received a notification that my card is mailed to me;
2016-12-07: Received my Permanent Resident card :dancing:;

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Texas2016 said:

Everyone, I went to an immigration lawyer today and he confused me so much.

 

I was under the impression that I always needed to inform USCIS of any status change such as a divorce even if I was still married at the time of applying for the I-751 form, however this lawyer is saying I should just not do anything and wait for my greencard unless they send me an RFE cause they found out about the divorce. We can then deal with it and send them the divorce decree. I do not understand, this was not what I got from Visajourney or people with similar experiences.

 

Also, he is saying that I should start the application from scratch, because of my name changing back to my maiden name. I thought I could request for this to be changed on my greencard when I send them the divorce decree and if they will not do it, I can pay for a new greencard once I got it. Could someone please help and advice, because I am so confused.

Depending on how a lawyer values,

it can be recommended to inform USCIS that you are now separated, or recommended not to provided anything until USCIS obtains your separation. It is risk management that you as a client should be aware.

 

I will go with IF Scenario, hope you bear with me. 

 

If you choose to inform USCIS that you are now separated,

then the chance is that USCIS will be mindful when making determination on your I 751 albeit there is a chance that your submission may not be reached to the ISO who is making determination on your case on time. This is probably the best case, where a ISO determines you deemed to be bona fide marriage and approve your case while your submission to USCIS is not delivered to the ISO on time or even lost, meaning that you did show your proof of burden, and it is USCIS's fault for failure of your submission to the assigned officer who approved your case. 

        If your information is correctly delivered to the ISO who was assigned for your case and the ISO took this information into account, then it is still safe to assume that USCIS viewed your case as a legitimate marriage when entered, and therefore it won't hurt potential hurdle N400 in the future if your final goal is N400. 

 

However, as of 2019, when you submit I 90 to renew your green card, USCIS will not review your case, but if later USCIS decides to review how an applicant obtains Green Card initially during I 90, then it can be another issue even. To give you a background, you will need to submit I 90 in 10 years since green card has only 10 years validity, and the process is I 90. Right now USCIS does not review how one obtains green card, but just issue renew green card upon receipt (and around 6-8 months waiting time). Arguably, there is a chance that USCIS will start to review how one obtains green card during I 90 in the future, and then start to ask questions why and how an applicant obtains, and if things are not cleared, it can be great challenge, considering USCIS does not have unified policy, but depends on each individual ISO's background and life philosophy albeit immigration by nature is very flexible and it is hard to enforce a unified policy.

 

 

Another option you can do is, 

if you choose not to inform to USCIS (such as your lawyer recommended), there is 50/50% chance USCIS might be aware of your separation. 

 

If USCIS is aware of your separation by whatever means they have, the chance is you will be requested RFE that you must respond back within the time frame. Then it goes from there.

If you have strong case, you may be approved, but if not, the chance is that you will likely to be requested more rigorous review, and potentially in-person interview. So that is what your lawyer meant by "If USCIS issues a RFE, we will do something, but if not, we will just be silent and just enjoy the benefit of doubts". 

 

Another if is that

if USCIS approves you without knowing that you are separated, then it can be a little bit issue during N400 (after 5 years of CG anniversary, you can apply for citizenship) if your final destination is to become a USC that you will likely to get questioned since during N400, you would need to submit whether or not you are married, and divorced before, and all documentations with time stamp, and if it is a shrewd USCIS officers who are familiar with I 751 and N400, then question goes back to how you obtain GC initially, and further determine if your marriage was legitimate or not during N400. 

 

In the past, USCIS did not care how an applicant initially obtained GC, but around 2010s, all ISOs are required to review how an applicant acquired GC during N400 review, so the chance is that they will start to wonder why you did not submit the information on your current separation since they can verify with time stamped documentation. 

 

So hope it helps and, you as a client, should be able to make choice. Like I said, it is your risk management that you might want to take or not. 

Depending on specifics of the case, you can choose differently, and therefore no body can choose except you. Best luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, xillini said:

Depending on how a lawyer values,

it can be recommended to inform USCIS that you are now separated, or recommended not to provided anything until USCIS obtains your separation. It is risk management that you as a client should be aware.

 

I will go with IF Scenario, hope you bear with me. 

 

If you choose to inform USCIS that you are now separated,

then the chance is that USCIS will be mindful when making determination on your I 751 albeit there is a chance that your submission may not be reached to the ISO who is making determination on your case on time. This is probably the best case, where a ISO determines you deemed to be bona fide marriage and approve your case while your submission to USCIS is not delivered to the ISO on time or even lost, meaning that you did show your proof of burden, and it is USCIS's fault for failure of your submission to the assigned officer who approved your case. 

        If your information is correctly delivered to the ISO who was assigned for your case and the ISO took this information into account, then it is still safe to assume that USCIS viewed your case as a legitimate marriage when entered, and therefore it won't hurt potential hurdle N400 in the future if your final goal is N400. 

 

However, as of 2019, when you submit I 90 to renew your green card, USCIS will not review your case, but if later USCIS decides to review how an applicant obtains Green Card initially during I 90, then it can be another issue even. To give you a background, you will need to submit I 90 in 10 years since green card has only 10 years validity, and the process is I 90. Right now USCIS does not review how one obtains green card, but just issue renew green card upon receipt (and around 6-8 months waiting time). Arguably, there is a chance that USCIS will start to review how one obtains green card during I 90 in the future, and then start to ask questions why and how an applicant obtains, and if things are not cleared, it can be great challenge, considering USCIS does not have unified policy, but depends on each individual ISO's background and life philosophy albeit immigration by nature is very flexible and it is hard to enforce a unified policy.

 

 

Another option you can do is, 

if you choose not to inform to USCIS (such as your lawyer recommended), there is 50/50% chance USCIS might be aware of your separation. 

 

If USCIS is aware of your separation by whatever means they have, the chance is you will be requested RFE that you must respond back within the time frame. Then it goes from there.

If you have strong case, you may be approved, but if not, the chance is that you will likely to be requested more rigorous review, and potentially in-person interview. So that is what your lawyer meant by "If USCIS issues a RFE, we will do something, but if not, we will just be silent and just enjoy the benefit of doubts". 

 

Another if is that

if USCIS approves you without knowing that you are separated, then it can be a little bit issue during N400 (after 5 years of CG anniversary, you can apply for citizenship) if your final destination is to become a USC that you will likely to get questioned since during N400, you would need to submit whether or not you are married, and divorced before, and all documentations with time stamp, and if it is a shrewd USCIS officers who are familiar with I 751 and N400, then question goes back to how you obtain GC initially, and further determine if your marriage was legitimate or not during N400. 

 

In the past, USCIS did not care how an applicant initially obtained GC, but around 2010s, all ISOs are required to review how an applicant acquired GC during N400 review, so the chance is that they will start to wonder why you did not submit the information on your current separation since they can verify with time stamped documentation. 

 

So hope it helps and, you as a client, should be able to make choice. Like I said, it is your risk management that you might want to take or not. 

Depending on specifics of the case, you can choose differently, and therefore no body can choose except you. Best luck

Hi Xillini,

 

thank you so much for assisting me with this. My original plan was to send over the divorce decree to the USCIS since the DMV and the Social Security Office are also already aware of this. I was going to attach a letter in which I request to change my application to a waiver one and I have an affidavit letter from my ex-husband and a really good mutual friend in which they state what happened etc. I will most likely also have another affidavit from his mother and one other friend.

 

In my letter, I would also include a request to change my name on the card.

 

What do you think?

 

I heard if you do not tell USCIS in time, it will be considered fraud.

 

Kind regards,

 

Texas2016


K1 visa process

2016-02-07: I-129f sent;
2016-02-12: I-129f text received;
2016-04-06: (54 days): NOA2 :dancing:;
2016-04-11: NOA2 hardcopy;
2016-04-25: NVC received;
2016-04-26: Case number received;
2016-05-11: Medical Appointment at Knightsbridge medical, London;

2016-06-24: K1 interview at US embassy in London --> Approved! :dancing:;

2016-08-04: POE at Atlanta airport;
2016-08-22: Got married;

Filing for AOS, EAD and AP from K1 visa

2016-09-09: Filed for AOS;
2016-09-11: AOS package delivered at PO box in Chicago;

2016-09-19: Texts and e-mails received for AOS, EAD and AP;

2016-10-01: Received biometrics appointment notice letter - Appointment has been made for 2016-10-11;

2016-10-11: Biometrics appointment;

2016-11-03: Received approval for AP and EAD;

2016-11-18: Received EAD/AP combo card :dancing:;
2016-11-29: I-485 (AOS) approval date :dancing: ;
2016-12-03: Received I-485 approval notice letter;
2016-12-05: Received a notification that my card is mailed to me;
2016-12-07: Received my Permanent Resident card :dancing:;

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Anyone else have thoughts about it? I really need advice whether my original plan is good.

Edited by Texas2016

K1 visa process

2016-02-07: I-129f sent;
2016-02-12: I-129f text received;
2016-04-06: (54 days): NOA2 :dancing:;
2016-04-11: NOA2 hardcopy;
2016-04-25: NVC received;
2016-04-26: Case number received;
2016-05-11: Medical Appointment at Knightsbridge medical, London;

2016-06-24: K1 interview at US embassy in London --> Approved! :dancing:;

2016-08-04: POE at Atlanta airport;
2016-08-22: Got married;

Filing for AOS, EAD and AP from K1 visa

2016-09-09: Filed for AOS;
2016-09-11: AOS package delivered at PO box in Chicago;

2016-09-19: Texts and e-mails received for AOS, EAD and AP;

2016-10-01: Received biometrics appointment notice letter - Appointment has been made for 2016-10-11;

2016-10-11: Biometrics appointment;

2016-11-03: Received approval for AP and EAD;

2016-11-18: Received EAD/AP combo card :dancing:;
2016-11-29: I-485 (AOS) approval date :dancing: ;
2016-12-03: Received I-485 approval notice letter;
2016-12-05: Received a notification that my card is mailed to me;
2016-12-07: Received my Permanent Resident card :dancing:;

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@username_takendo you have any thoughts about it?


K1 visa process

2016-02-07: I-129f sent;
2016-02-12: I-129f text received;
2016-04-06: (54 days): NOA2 :dancing:;
2016-04-11: NOA2 hardcopy;
2016-04-25: NVC received;
2016-04-26: Case number received;
2016-05-11: Medical Appointment at Knightsbridge medical, London;

2016-06-24: K1 interview at US embassy in London --> Approved! :dancing:;

2016-08-04: POE at Atlanta airport;
2016-08-22: Got married;

Filing for AOS, EAD and AP from K1 visa

2016-09-09: Filed for AOS;
2016-09-11: AOS package delivered at PO box in Chicago;

2016-09-19: Texts and e-mails received for AOS, EAD and AP;

2016-10-01: Received biometrics appointment notice letter - Appointment has been made for 2016-10-11;

2016-10-11: Biometrics appointment;

2016-11-03: Received approval for AP and EAD;

2016-11-18: Received EAD/AP combo card :dancing:;
2016-11-29: I-485 (AOS) approval date :dancing: ;
2016-12-03: Received I-485 approval notice letter;
2016-12-05: Received a notification that my card is mailed to me;
2016-12-07: Received my Permanent Resident card :dancing:;

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @username_taken. Thank you so much for your long explanation. It really means a lot!

 

Just to respond to what you said:

 

- We ended up filing taxes together, because this was still before our divorce court date.

 

I originally filed for the I-751 on September 11th, 2018. They received it on September 13th, 2018 and they cashed the check on October 9th, 2018.
The NOA1 date is October 19th, 2018. It was an amicable divorce on most levels, because we still love each other, however it is just not possible to work things out sadly. I received our final decree on February 28th, 2019.

 

Since we are no longer married at this point, I am going to be sending USCIS the divorce decree, a letter from me explaining the situation and requesting for the change to a waiver application plus the name change. I also will include a letter from our marriage counselor and a couple affidavits. I will not actually fill out a new form or pay another fee, such as you advised.

 

I will also include our latest tax return and a couple more pictures from us from August and September of 2018. You have a great point about the fact that if I switch to a waiver, my ex spouse is no longer involved in the process, but if I include his affidavit that I am then opening up a door that I may not want to open. We are definitely on okay terms now, but you are right. It may change at some point. You never know. I do have the file with what he wrote, signed and dated in my e-mail, so if needed, I can always bring that to the interview. There should however be no doubt about our marriage, because it was as real as it gets. This one is going to take a long time to get over to be honest.

 

Since I already have the divorce decree since last Thursday, I am going to be sending it to USCIS this week. Just to be sure, I am sending this to the California Service Center, correct?

 

Thank you again so much username_taken. I really am grateful for all your knowledge and help!


K1 visa process

2016-02-07: I-129f sent;
2016-02-12: I-129f text received;
2016-04-06: (54 days): NOA2 :dancing:;
2016-04-11: NOA2 hardcopy;
2016-04-25: NVC received;
2016-04-26: Case number received;
2016-05-11: Medical Appointment at Knightsbridge medical, London;

2016-06-24: K1 interview at US embassy in London --> Approved! :dancing:;

2016-08-04: POE at Atlanta airport;
2016-08-22: Got married;

Filing for AOS, EAD and AP from K1 visa

2016-09-09: Filed for AOS;
2016-09-11: AOS package delivered at PO box in Chicago;

2016-09-19: Texts and e-mails received for AOS, EAD and AP;

2016-10-01: Received biometrics appointment notice letter - Appointment has been made for 2016-10-11;

2016-10-11: Biometrics appointment;

2016-11-03: Received approval for AP and EAD;

2016-11-18: Received EAD/AP combo card :dancing:;
2016-11-29: I-485 (AOS) approval date :dancing: ;
2016-12-03: Received I-485 approval notice letter;
2016-12-05: Received a notification that my card is mailed to me;
2016-12-07: Received my Permanent Resident card :dancing:;

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2019 at 12:46 PM, Texas2016 said:

thank you so much for assisting me with this. My original plan was to send over the divorce decree to the USCIS since the DMV and the Social Security Office are also already aware of this. I was going to attach a letter in which I request to change my application to a waiver one and I have an affidavit letter from my ex-husband and a really good mutual friend in which they state what happened etc. I will most likely also have another affidavit from his mother and one other friend.

 

 In my letter, I would also include a request to change my name on the card.

 

What do you think?

 

I heard if you do not tell USCIS in time, it will be considered fraud.

 

Personally, I would still send the cover letter detailing why marriage fall apart and supporting documentation such as divorce decree. 

Living in America, no body wants to take the risks (I learned it hard way), and USCIS, as one of the stringent and conservative government institution, hates those kind of uncertainty and risks. 

 

While I do not agree with "fraud" if one does not send the new updates in marriage, this is too risky especially given that you already notified DMV and SSA, where it is likely that USCIS will access the information, meaning that USCIS will be aware that you are separated and the question goes to why there is no updates, narrowing down that this can be potential fraud. 

 

On the mean time, what your lawyers recommend also makes it sense. If USCIS does not know you are separated, why bother? 

 

But again in your specific case, I would still send since it sounds you have strong case such as affidavit from your ex's family member

If you have documented therapy session, that will seal the deal with cover letter. Because USCIS recognizes that marriage not always succeed, if applicant shows reasonable efforts to save the marriage, it will convince ISOs a lot if you have. 

 

Hope the best luck, and please updates it later. 

 

 

There are arguably 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good evening Xillini,

I really appreciate it and I will keep everyone updated.

Have a good rest of your day.

 

Texas2016


K1 visa process

2016-02-07: I-129f sent;
2016-02-12: I-129f text received;
2016-04-06: (54 days): NOA2 :dancing:;
2016-04-11: NOA2 hardcopy;
2016-04-25: NVC received;
2016-04-26: Case number received;
2016-05-11: Medical Appointment at Knightsbridge medical, London;

2016-06-24: K1 interview at US embassy in London --> Approved! :dancing:;

2016-08-04: POE at Atlanta airport;
2016-08-22: Got married;

Filing for AOS, EAD and AP from K1 visa

2016-09-09: Filed for AOS;
2016-09-11: AOS package delivered at PO box in Chicago;

2016-09-19: Texts and e-mails received for AOS, EAD and AP;

2016-10-01: Received biometrics appointment notice letter - Appointment has been made for 2016-10-11;

2016-10-11: Biometrics appointment;

2016-11-03: Received approval for AP and EAD;

2016-11-18: Received EAD/AP combo card :dancing:;
2016-11-29: I-485 (AOS) approval date :dancing: ;
2016-12-03: Received I-485 approval notice letter;
2016-12-05: Received a notification that my card is mailed to me;
2016-12-07: Received my Permanent Resident card :dancing:;

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know where I need to send my documents? I originally send it to the California Service Center, however on my 18-month extension I-797 letter it lists the Texas Service Center.


K1 visa process

2016-02-07: I-129f sent;
2016-02-12: I-129f text received;
2016-04-06: (54 days): NOA2 :dancing:;
2016-04-11: NOA2 hardcopy;
2016-04-25: NVC received;
2016-04-26: Case number received;
2016-05-11: Medical Appointment at Knightsbridge medical, London;

2016-06-24: K1 interview at US embassy in London --> Approved! :dancing:;

2016-08-04: POE at Atlanta airport;
2016-08-22: Got married;

Filing for AOS, EAD and AP from K1 visa

2016-09-09: Filed for AOS;
2016-09-11: AOS package delivered at PO box in Chicago;

2016-09-19: Texts and e-mails received for AOS, EAD and AP;

2016-10-01: Received biometrics appointment notice letter - Appointment has been made for 2016-10-11;

2016-10-11: Biometrics appointment;

2016-11-03: Received approval for AP and EAD;

2016-11-18: Received EAD/AP combo card :dancing:;
2016-11-29: I-485 (AOS) approval date :dancing: ;
2016-12-03: Received I-485 approval notice letter;
2016-12-05: Received a notification that my card is mailed to me;
2016-12-07: Received my Permanent Resident card :dancing:;

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should send it to wherever you filed originally... However if you know (or suspect) your case has been moved it cant hurt to send a duplicate mailing to that service center as well. Just make sure you include certified copies of divorce in both mailings. Use a tracking number as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×