IsabelleFredrick

Visiting SA once married - need SA visa to enter SA ?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

Hi

Once Im married, will I lose my SA citizenship, and have to apply for a SA visa to enter SA to visit family?

Same for kids? 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Heidi888 said:

Hi

Once Im married, will I lose my SA citizenship, and have to apply for a SA visa to enter SA to visit family?

Same for kids? 

You don't get US citizenship the moment you get married, it takes years before you can apply for that. So no, you won't lose it cause that would mean you wouldn't have any nationality anymore.

You have to adjust your status once your married to become a permanent resident and get a work/travel permit tho, it's wise to educate yourself on the process after K1 (see guides on this website and info on the USCIS website)

Edited by C90

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

A quick Google search indicates that you can retain your SA citizenship if you apply to retain that citizenship BEFORE you acquire foreign citizenship.  Keeping in mind that simply coming to the US on a K1 visa does not grant you US citizenship, you will not have the opportunity to lose your SA citizenship right away in any case.  At the very earliest that it can become is an issue is when you to go apply for citizenship, so at a minimum 3+ years from gaining permanent resident status.

So - check the requirements via the SA Embassy/Consulate, and you'll be fine...

14 hours ago, Heidi888 said:

Hi

Same for kids? 

Hello,

If you apply for US citizen when the time does come you will have to apply to keep South African citizen BEFORE you apply for US citizenship. It's called 'Letter of Retention'

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
14 hours ago, Heidi888 said:

Hi

Same for kids? 

No.  Marriage to a US citizen does not grant you US citizenship.  You will remain a SA citizen.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline
On 2/18/2019 at 4:48 AM, Heidi888 said:

Hi

Same for kids? 

@Heidi888 I came across 2 interesting articles about retaining SA citizenship once you apply for US citizenship (few years down the line after getting married): 

--> https://www.thesouthafrican.com/south-african-citizenship-dual-nationality/

--> https://www.nwivisas.com/nwi-blog/south-africa/does-south-africa-allow-dual-citizenship/

It seems you have to apply to retain your SA citizenship, you don't automatically just keep it indefinitely. Also important to know later down the road (when you have 2 passports) is that (if you're still also a SA citizen) it is illegal to enter or leave SA with your US passport - you have to use your SA passport on the SA side.

Good luck! :)

6 hours ago, Mel & Llew said:

@Heidi888 I came across 2 interesting articles about retaining SA citizenship once you apply for US citizenship (few years down the line after getting married): 

--> https://www.thesouthafrican.com/south-african-citizenship-dual-nationality/

--> https://www.nwivisas.com/nwi-blog/south-africa/does-south-africa-allow-dual-citizenship/

It seems you have to apply to retain your SA citizenship, you don't automatically just keep it indefinitely. Also important to know later down the road (when you have 2 passports) is that (if you're still also a SA citizen) it is illegal to enter or leave SA with your US passport - you have to use your SA passport on the SA side.

Good luck! :)

Yes, you have to apply to keep it if you also want US Citizenship. It's called Letter of Retention. Just make sure you have that letter before you apply for US Citizenship.

On 2/17/2019 at 6:48 PM, IsabelleFredrick said:

Hi

Same for kids? 

It will be years before you are eligible for US citizenship.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.