Rotnkid

K1 visa DS-160 question regarding intended date of arrival

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

I am in the process of filing out the DS 160 application form and I am stuck in the ‘travel information’ page. I selected the ‘purpose of trip to the US’ as fiancé and filled in the application receipt number. The next question regarding whether I have made specific travel plans, I answered as ‘no’;  but it still asks me to put in an estimated intended date of arrival. Is this a normal question which every k1 applicant encounters or did I do something wrong here. If this is to be filled in, please let me know how an estimated date is normally filled in.

Any help/ information in this regard is appreciated.

Thanks 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Rotnkid said:

Hi,

I am in the process of filing out the DS 160 application form and I am stuck in the ‘travel information’ page. I selected the ‘purpose of trip to the US’ as fiancé and filled in the application receipt number. The next question regarding whether I have made specific travel plans, I answered as ‘no’;  but it still asks me to put in an estimated intended date of arrival. Is this a normal question which every k1 applicant encounters or did I do something wrong here. If this is to be filled in, please let me know how an estimated date is normally filled in.

Any help/ information in this regard is appreciated.

Thanks 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/forms/ds-160-online-nonimmigrant-visa-application/ds-160-faqs.html:

Most questions are mandatory and must be answered in the spaces provided. You may leave spaces blank when the questions are marked “optional.” You may answer a question with “Does Not Apply,” when that question does not apply to you; however, all other questions must be answered. The system will not allow you to submit an application with any mandatory questions left unanswered. If you do not complete a mandatory question, the system will display an error message and require you to answer the question before continuing with the application. If you do not answer questions that apply to your circumstances and/or purpose of travel, the system will not accept your application.

So yeah, you have to fill out every question, except when it says optional. You can just fill out an estimated date, the consulate will understand that you don't know the exact date yet since you don't know when your visa is going to be issued. They won't hold this against you. Also, you can see an example of the DS-160 via https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/PDF-other/DS-160_Example.pdf

Timeline

I filled my ds-160 out yesterday. I put July 31, 2019 because that is the date my lease ends on my apartment :P

My K1 Visa Timeline:                                                                 My AOS Timeline:

NOA1 - June 15, 2018                                                                NOA - Nov. 8, 2019

My K1 visa interview - April 3, 2019 = APPROVED!! :D       EAD & AP approved - Feb. 6, 2020

Visa on hand - April 8, 2019                                                      EAD/AP combo card & SSN card in married name received - Feb. 13, 2020

US entry - July 31, 2019                                                             Green card interview scheduled - August 11, 2020

Our wedding day - Oct. 14, 2019 ❤️                                        Green card interview - September 10, 2020 = APPROVED! :D

Green card received - September 16, 2020

My ROC Timeline

NOA - July 14, 2022

Fingerprints Were Taken NOA - August 2, 2022

Timeline

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I just wanted to make sure that this question regarding intended date of arrival was showing up for every k1 applicant and that I did not mess up something in my drop down selection.  I will figure out a date then to fill it in. By the way NicoleM, I liked your reason for choice of date 😜

8 minutes ago, NicoleM said:

I filled my ds-160 out yesterday. I put July 31, 2019 because that is the date my lease ends on my apartment :P

21 minutes ago, C90 said:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/forms/ds-160-online-nonimmigrant-visa-application/ds-160-faqs.html:

Most questions are mandatory and must be answered in the spaces provided. You may leave spaces blank when the questions are marked “optional.” You may answer a question with “Does Not Apply,” when that question does not apply to you; however, all other questions must be answered. The system will not allow you to submit an application with any mandatory questions left unanswered. If you do not complete a mandatory question, the system will display an error message and require you to answer the question before continuing with the application. If you do not answer questions that apply to your circumstances and/or purpose of travel, the system will not accept your application.

So yeah, you have to fill out every question, except when it says optional. You can just fill out an estimated date, the consulate will understand that you don't know the exact date yet since you don't know when your visa is going to be issued. They won't hold this against you. Also, you can see an example of the DS-160 via https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/PDF-other/DS-160_Example.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.