Leney

English the Official Language of the USA?

English the Official Language?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Support a Bill to Make English the Official Language of the USA?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know

31 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Would You Support a Bill to Make English the Official Language of the USA?

Was just curious after reading this: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69708

Edited by Leney

I-130 Filed - Sept. 15, 2006

129-F Filed - Oct. 27, 2006

I-130/129F Approved - Jan. 10, 2007

K3/K4 Visas Approved - May 4, 2007

~~~~Hubby and Son PoE Newark - May 27, 2007~~~~

EAD filed for Hubby - June 6, 2007

EAD NOA for Hubby - June 13, 2007

AoS filed for Hubby and Son - June 15, 2007

EAD for Hubby APPROVED! WOW!!!!!! - July 19, 2007

AoS Interview for Hubby and Son in Philadelphia - Friday, September 14, 2007 - APPROVED!

10 Year Green Cards Received!!!! - October 12, 2007

Done until naturalization!

m_7dc3c15c2e1d0eafb3d8770777862202.gif

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Would You Support a Bill to Make English the Official Language of the USA?

Was just curious after reading this: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69708

yer darn tootin!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I always thought english was the national language here :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

My answer is yes, english should be the official language.

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

I'm going to say "don't know". Other than a purely symbolic declaration - I wonder what the practical purpose of such a bill would actually be.

I mean - what are we talking about here?

Check here

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Heck yeah......

12/03/2005: Married

10/13/2006: Interview Approved

10/26/2006: POE: EWR (ARRIVED) [/size]

182 days from filing to Visa in Hand!!![/color]

AOS/EAD

01/22/2007: Sent to The Lockbox.....let the games begin.....again

02/02/2007: NOA1's for both....the waiting game officially begins

02/15/2007: Biometrics appt.

04/11/2007: EAD APPROVED!! YI-HAW

04/21/2007: Received SSN#

05/23/2007: AOS Interview -------> APPROOOOOOVED!!!!!!

05/29/2007: Received Welcome letter

06/04/2007: Green Card in Hand!!!

122 Days from filing AOS to Green Card in Hand!!!

REMOVING CONDITIONS

05/21/2009: Filed to Remove Conditions

6/18/2009: Biometrics Done

09/14/2009: Approved!!!

Citizenship

2/15/2011: Filed N-400

3/28/2011: Biometrics <-- Done

5/09/2011: Naturalization Interview <--- APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5/09/2011: Swearing in Ceremony (We're Done)

MY HUSBAND IS NOW A US CITIZEN

Proudmomwife.gifI_love_my_baby_boy.gif

3051_1113026182751_1139795553_30500807_687968_s.jpgZackie.jpgthumb_3051_1113025702739_1139795553_30500806_7039703_s.jpg

Twenty-seven states already have laws making English their official language. According to the Census Bureau, eight in 10 U.S. residents speak only English.

~USA Today

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Twenty-seven states already have laws making English their official language. According to the Census Bureau, eight in 10 U.S. residents speak only English.

~USA Today

I’d be interested to know ‘which’ states have done this, and what impact their various policies have had.

So basically we’re talking about doing away with the requirements for government agencies to support multiple languages support.

From that article at least, it seems a little contradictory to me… On the one had they’re making the case that states pay large sums of money on court translator fees – while a few paragraphs down saying that multi-language assistance would still be offered to non-english speaking defendants and victims of crime. Also that the 911 system would continue to cater different languages; and that Govt employees would still would continue to provide multi-language assistance.

Given that we’re really talking about Spanish here (and it really is a second language in the US) – its unlikely that this would make much of a difference to increase the adoption of English. All we’d really be addressing are official support to non-standard languages other than Spanish – which have comparatively far fewer native speakers in the US. So what would it really achieve?

Perhaps I'm being too cynical here - but it seems to me that a lot of support for this is tied to kneejerk reactionism for illegal immigrant problem from Mexico. I honestly can't see it making much of a difference to the linguistic diversity of the country, or reducing people's reliance on spanish.

I'm not so certain it's a knee-jerk reaction since apparently it has been brought up in nearly every session for the last 20 years. And it's certainly not unique to the US, many other countries have either passed or are considering passing an official language.

Curious - what's the official language in other countries?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I'm not so certain it's a knee-jerk reaction since apparently it has been brought up in nearly every session for the last 20 years. And it's certainly not unique to the US, many other countries have either passed or are considering passing an official language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_offic...ages_by_country

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Well as I see it - the biggest push for this sort of thing is primarily because of the increasing number of people who only speak spanish (which is by far the biggest immigrant group). So it might sound great on paper - but I'm not certain we'd save as much money as we're claiming, as the only people who would really be affected by it would be smaller immigrant groups.

I'm not against it BTW - just don't think it would be much more than a symbolic gesture.

~USA Today

I’d be interested to know ‘which’ states have done this, and what impact their various policies have had..

(in Alabama, American Samoa, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Guam, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Utah, Virginia, and Wyoming)

Hawaiian (in Hawaii)