JWaiver_2019

2019 J1 WAIVER TIMELINE - New Applicants

2,060 posts in this topic

On 7/15/2019 at 2:16 PM, eliottreid said:

Your I94 records, passport stamps, flight tickets...etc all work. I didn't have my old passport because we give them back after getting new ones, so I called my embassy and they sent me scanned pictures of the stamps. 

Hi @eliottreid! Unfortunately they don't stamp our passports when you come back in Europe so there is no trace that I was in my home country besides the flight tickets. And there it is also another story as I spend most of my time between two European countries every time I come back to Europe - husband is from a neighboring country to mine. It means that all my flights tickets are not solely to my home country, and that might be an issue.

Hello everyone,

this forum has been very helpful in the process of starting my J1 waiver. Updating my case here and would keep writing future updates too.

-Sent my package to DoS and my embassy on July 1, 2019 using USPS overnight.

- Both packages got delivered on 2nd.

- My consulate sent me NOC copy on 8th

-DoS page got updated on July 16th

-Just now saw another update of No objection statement received. 

32D1D984-9552-4758-93FE-07328264CF50.jpeg

Edited by Tulip987

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
On 7/20/2019 at 4:02 PM, Tulip987 said:

My NOS was update July 07, we are somewhat on similar timeline. Keep us posted and I will do the same.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Tulip987 said:

Sure! Based on timelines shared here, I think we should get next update towards mid to end August. 

That time would be great, keeping my fingers crossed.

6 hours ago, Sunshine33 said:
On 7/20/2019 at 4:02 PM, Tulip987 said:

My NOS was update July 07, we are somewhat on similar timeline. Keep us posted and I will do the same.

I might as well share my timeline. Submitted all documents on June 11, and got all docs on DoS system on July 02. If times here are somewhat accurate, I should receive some update in the next 3 weeks or so.

image.png.0a740daf170b57e1a2e4f31161e34322.png

Timeline
1 hour ago, waiver_req said:

I might as well share my timeline. Submitted all documents on June 11, and got all docs on DoS system on July 02. If times here are somewhat accurate, I should receive some update in the next 3 weeks or so.

Thank you so much for sharing your timeline. Our timelines are just days apart.

That's my expectation too mid august for another update.

2 hours ago, waiver_req said:

What is form g-28? Your case seem to have updated quite fast! All documents and NOS on same day. Hoping next update too comes fast for all of us. 

1 minute ago, Tulip987 said:

What is form g-28? Your case seem to have updated quite fast! All documents and NOS on same day. Hoping next update too comes fast for all of us. 

Form G-28 is for Attorney representation. My Country's Embassy was really fast at sending the NOS. they had essentially submitted it on the same day I requested, hence both the NOS and ds-3035 packets must have been received on the same day.

1 minute ago, waiver_req said:

Form G-28 is for Attorney representation. My Country's Embassy was really fast at sending the NOS. they had essentially submitted it on the same day I requested, hence both the NOS and ds-3035 packets must have been received on the same day.

thats great! Normally people don’t hire attorney for no objection waiver, unless it is some complicated case of government funding etc. Did you receive government funding? 

On 7/15/2019 at 12:34 AM, tendrementchoco said:

Hi @Coco8! Thanks for your input.

Who was your sponsor, US government funding of any kind? I contacted both Fulbright in the US (never answered) and my home-country Fulbright (they did answer favorably but never told me they were reached by DOS). I am going to contact the university who hosted me just in case.  I wonder who they are trying to reach, it would be so much easier if I knew. Still waiting here...

Regarding the days spent in my home country I don't have records besides flights and some bank statements. I don't know if that would be accepted. 

Yes, flights would be accepted.

The waiver branch contacts the Fulbright section within the Department of State. Fulbright always says no to any waiver request. So you should start putting together the information to prove that you were almost 2 years in your country already. The 2 years start to count from the time you stopped being on J1, so if you switched to F1 after J1, any vacation to your country counts towards the 2 years. 

I don't know your case, but the DS 2019 should list Fulbright as your sponsor. I think a lot of people get confused that Fulbright in your home country is not actually Fulbright; is just some random administrative people who organize stuff for the Embassy and DOS. Most of them are not DOS employees and sometimes not even Americans. Also, not all of their scholarships are Fulbright scholarships. That was just my rant of the day, sorry.

Edited by Coco8

Filed: Other Country: Guatemala
Timeline

Hey thanks everyone for sharing.

I'm sharing also my journey any feedback helps.

Non Objection [research scholar j1 no gov fund, no patient contact]

I got approved an H1B based on my ds19 (it was marked as not e212 subject) to start a position at BU

Got it and went to my embassy when they told me there was a confusion and I should get a Waiver.

Sent all my paperwork on June 14 (DS3035 and embassy paperwork for NOC)

my embassy filed the NOC on 19 of june

The check was cashed on June 22  

Unfortunately the tracking of my NOC was never updated so I asked them to send it again (they did on fax on July 11)

Finally my case was updated with all documents EXCEPT NOC received on last Friday June 19

I'm missing my NOC so I send an email.

I'm wondering if someone had something similar? I'm just worried because I understand the timeline starts until you have all the documents. 

Thanks 

37 minutes ago, mibarillas said:

Hey thanks everyone for sharing.

I'm sharing also my journey any feedback helps.

Non Objection [research scholar j1 no gov fund, no patient contact]

I got approved an H1B based on my ds19 (it was marked as not e212 subject) to start a position at BU

Got it and went to my embassy when they told me there was a confusion and I should get a Waiver.

Sent all my paperwork on June 14 (DS3035 and embassy paperwork for NOC)

my embassy filed the NOC on 19 of june

The check was cashed on June 22  

Unfortunately the tracking of my NOC was never updated so I asked them to send it again (they did on fax on July 11)

Finally my case was updated with all documents EXCEPT NOC received on last Friday June 19

I'm missing my NOC so I send an email.

I'm wondering if someone had something similar? I'm just worried because I understand the timeline starts until you have all the documents. 

Thanks 

Is it possible that duplicate NOS would have caused some confusion? Anyway, looks like you have done everything possible to track it. They should reply to your email sometime. Also, there doesn’t seem to be a set pattern. For some people NOS received has taken 2-4 weeks to update. I remember someone has shared a similar case in this forum on initial pages. 

Edited by Tulip987

Timeline
6 hours ago, Tulip987 said:

thats great! Normally people don’t hire attorney for no objection waiver, unless it is some complicated case of government funding etc. Did you receive government funding? 

I am using an attorney too because I didnt find this forum before I started the wavier process. If I had this forum before I would not have used an attorney. I could have done this on my own if I had all the information I got from this forum.

20190722_235930.jpg

Edited by Sunshine33
To add imagine

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.