Jaxpo

Philippines claiming I-551 stamp is not permanent residency.

11 posts in this topic

My 17 year old daughter will be flying to the U.S. for good at the end of March. For some reason the DSWD is claiming the needs travel clearance even though their own website says permanent residents of another country do not need it. 

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/faqs/travel-req  (number 7-6) 

https://ncr.dswd.gov.ph/faqs/travel-clearance-for-minors/ 

I showed them the U.S. immigration website that shows that the I-551 is permanent residency but they don't care. They claim it only means it's in process...

https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/temporary-i-551-stamps-and-mrivs 

At this point it isn't even a matter of getting the required documents for DSWD....it is a matter of principal. They are wrong and simply will not admit it. Their last response was "you should get it just in case." I mean really? Is that how Philippine agencies do their jobs? When you are wrong and someone proves it to you, say "just in case." 

/Rant Off

If you know that your daughter doesn't need DSWD travel clearance, why are you even talking with DSWD?  Have you talked with Bureau of Immigration instead, to get written confirmation that airport immigration officers will let her board her flight without the travel clearance?

The BI Travel Requirements list states that minor children with proof of unexpired visa for permanent residence outside the Philippines are exempt from the DSWD-issued Travel Clearance.  BI should know what an I-551 stamp means.

If you haven't talked to BI, then you're talking to the wrong people.  It's the immigration officers who matter in your daughter's case.  Talk to them, not DSWD.

Edited by Ate
removed link already listed by OP

16 minutes ago, Ate said:

If you know that your daughter doesn't need DSWD travel clearance, why are you even talking with DSWD?  Have you talked with Bureau of Immigration instead, to get written confirmation that airport immigration officers will let her board her flight without the travel clearance?

The BI Travel Requirements list states that minor children with proof of unexpired visa for permanent residence outside the Philippines are exempt from the DSWD-issued Travel Clearance.  BI should know what an I-551 stamp means.

If you haven't talked to BI, then you're talking to the wrong people.  It's the immigration officers who matter in your daughter's case.  Talk to them, not DSWD.

Throughout my wife's annulment process and the visa process the Philippines agencies have made one mistake after another. It took over 3 years just for my wife's annulment to be complete and finalized due to so many mistakes made by the local registry and NSO (now called PSA). Every time they made a mistake we had to get their mistake corrected, and then wait 2-3 more months. I've never seen anything like it.  So my wife wanted to double check with DSWD in regard to this matter because we no longer trust anyone in the Philippines to do their job correctly.

We did talk to BI, they were just as clueless. They said to call airport immigration, which we did. They wouldn't answer the phone most of the day and when they finally did, they said this was a "re-entry visa' therefore required DSWD clearance. There is NOTHING anywhere about a re-entry anything. They are completely making this up. When challenged about  it,  they just kept saying my daughters permanent residency isn't completed until she receives the physical green card. They are so wrong and simply will not admit it.  They refuse to call U.S. immigration because "they know and don't need to."  It is beyond frustrating. 

2 hours ago, Jaxpo said:

We did talk to BI, they were just as clueless. They said to call airport immigration, which we did. They wouldn't answer the phone most of the day and when they finally did, they said this was a "re-entry visa' therefore required DSWD clearance. There is NOTHING anywhere about a re-entry anything. They are completely making this up. When challenged about  it,  they just kept saying my daughters permanent residency isn't completed until she receives the physical green card. They are so wrong and simply will not admit it.  They refuse to call U.S. immigration because "they know and don't need to."  It is beyond frustrating.

Guess what?  I called airport immigration.  I don't know which airport your daughter will be flying from, so I just got in touch with NAIA Terminal 3, Immigration (Departures).  Here's their 24/7 number: 877 7888 extension 8128.  Somebody answered after 2 rings and I was never put on hold.  I got the information I needed from the BI officer in about 5 minutes.

I made up a story about having a 17-year-old niece needing to fly unaccompanied to the US tomorrow.  I said she has an immigrant visa and I asked if she needed DSWD travel clearance.  The guy I talked to said no, she just needs a CFO sticker.  I said she already traveled to the US but came back for school stuff and now she's moving to the US for good.  He asked if she has a green card.  I said it hasn't been issued yet but she has a CR2 visa with an I-551 stamp on it.  He said that's fine, they don't need travel clearance for her.  He said they only look for travel clearance for minors with B1/B2 visa.

The immigration officer on the phone didn't seem clueless at all.  He seemed very familiar with US visa types and with I-551 stamps.  He also said that they don't issue written certificates as they need to evaluate each passenger at the point of exit.  He seemed quite willing to help and listened patiently to my rambling questions.

So, when your daughter goes to the airport, I suggest you make sure she has a print-out of the pages you linked, in case her immigration officer needs reminding.  Print the BI Travel Requirements page with the relevant exemption (item 7.6) highlighted.  Print the USCIS page that explains what an I-551 stamp is.  But tell her not to show the pages unless she gets questioned about her visa.

And if you want to call them yourself, be nice.  People here are generally reasonable.  But if you talked to the people you said you talked to, with the same contempt that's obvious from your posts above, I'm not surprised that they gave you a hard time.  Your experiences so far may have been frustrating, but you should know by now that people can get offended and become defensive if you "challenge" them or insinuate that they don't know how to do their jobs (even if they actually don't).  They can find ways to make life difficult for you if they smell even a whiff of "America is so great, the Philippines sucks" attitude.  (For future reference, look up "Amor Propio".)

Good luck.

18 minutes ago, Ate said:

Guess what?  I called airport immigration.  I don't know which airport your daughter will be flying from, so I just got in touch with NAIA Terminal 3, Immigration (Departures).  Here's their 24/7 number: 877 7888 extension 8128.  Somebody answered after 2 rings and I was never put on hold.  I got the information I needed from the BI officer in about 5 minutes.

I made up a story about having a 17-year-old niece needing to fly unaccompanied to the US tomorrow.  I said she has an immigrant visa and I asked if she needed DSWD travel clearance.  The guy I talked to said no, she just needs a CFO sticker.  I said she already traveled to the US but came back for school stuff and now she's moving to the US for good.  He asked if she has a green card.  I said it hasn't been issued yet but she has a CR2 visa with an I-551 stamp on it.  He said that's fine, they don't need travel clearance for her.  He said they only look for travel clearance for minors with B1/B2 visa.

The immigration officer on the phone didn't seem clueless at all.  He seemed very familiar with US visa types and with I-551 stamps.  He also said that they don't issue written certificates as they need to evaluate each passenger at the point of exit.  He seemed quite willing to help and listened patiently to my rambling questions.

So, when your daughter goes to the airport, I suggest you make sure she has a print-out of the pages you linked, in case her immigration officer needs reminding.  Print the BI Travel Requirements page with the relevant exemption (item 7.6) highlighted.  Print the USCIS page that explains what an I-551 stamp is.  But tell her not to show the pages unless she gets questioned about her visa.

And if you want to call them yourself, be nice.  People here are generally reasonable.  But if you talked to the people you said you talked to, with the same contempt that's obvious from your posts above, I'm not surprised that they gave you a hard time.  Your experiences so far may have been frustrating, but you should know by now that people can get offended and become defensive if you "challenge" them or insinuate that they don't know how to do their jobs (even if they actually don't).  They can find ways to make life difficult for you if they smell even a whiff of "America is so great, the Philippines sucks" attitude.  (For future reference, look up "Amor Propio".)

Good luck.

These are the numbers we were given to call. They are filled with endless ringing telephones, constant "transfers" to dropped calls, and people with no idea what they are talking about. Feel free to have fun with them if you think we were getting bad information simply because we were being rude to them, which we weren't. 

CEBU DSWD Numbers we were given after contacting them on their facebook page. 

+63 032 233 8785

+63 032 233 0261

Immigration Numbers that no one answered but were the numbers we were given to call. 

Cebu Airport Immigration

+63 032 340 2473

+63 032 340 2486

With that said, I did call the number you provided here. The lady at first did not understand but when I mentioned their website saying that it was not needed,  she agreed the DSWD is wrong and the clearance is not needed. I then called back again asking for the CEBU airport number. They gave it to us but said they could answer my question so I explained it again to a different person and she said the same thing. The clearance is not needed. She said whoever at DSDW is telling you it is, is wrong. You are correct they were nice and not clueless. However, that was a completely different experience than we received at the numbers I posted above. She also confirmed that Manila and Cebu have the same operating procedures and therefore CEBU should not give my daughter a hard time about it. She said the ONLY way a travel clearance would be needed is if my daughter was traveling to a country that she was not a permanent resident of. 

43 minutes ago, Jaxpo said:

With that said, I did call the number you provided here. The lady at first did not understand but when I mentioned their website saying that it was not needed,  she agreed the DSWD is wrong and the clearance is not needed. I then called back again asking for the CEBU airport number. They gave it to us but said they could answer my question so I explained it again to a different person and she said the same thing. The clearance is not needed. She said whoever at DSDW is telling you it is, is wrong. You are correct they were nice and not clueless. However, that was a completely different experience than we received at the numbers I posted above. She also confirmed that Manila and Cebu have the same operating procedures and therefore CEBU should not give my daughter a hard time about it. She said the ONLY way a travel clearance would be needed is if my daughter was traveling to a country that she was not a permanent resident of.

Glad you finally got to talk to BI personnel with a clue.  I hope your daughter doesn't have a hard time with Cebu airport immigration, like the lady said.  And I hope you update us with your daughter's experience so other families in your situation could be better prepared.

******  Moving from CR-1 forum to Philippines regional forum for more answers ******

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

7 hours ago, Jaxpo said:

My 17 year old daughter will be flying to the U.S. for good at the end of March. For some reason the DSWD is claiming the needs travel clearance even though their own website says permanent residents of another country do not need it. 

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/faqs/travel-req (number 7-6) 

I showed them the U.S. immigration website that shows that the I-551 is permanent residency but they don't care. They claim it only means it's in process...

At this point it isn't even a matter of getting the required documents for DSWD....it is a matter of principal. They are wrong and simply will not admit it. Their last response was "you should get it just in case." I mean really? Is that how Philippine agencies do their jobs? When you are wrong and someone proves it to you, say "just in case." 

/Rant Off

Once you realize the person or people you are dealing with are idiots , then things will get better.

8 hours ago, Jaxpo said:

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/faqs/travel-req (number 7-6) 

/Rant Off

You can rant.   But what they want to see is the physical GREEN CARD ...  Some don't look at the I-551 stamp in the passport as a "green card" ...  

Part of the "danger" of international travel  without the accepted documents.   I do agree there are IDIOTS out there.  

Glad to read you got it handled

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

HandArrow.gif.adeb854ba620933849ae921ca0b44a0c.gif  Link to the Visa Process for Manila Embassy once you have your NOA2 : Click Here

Contact Hank: HERE

K-1 visa approved 21 March 2012

...Citizenship... complete!

I was finally able to talk with Cebu Airport Immigration using one of these numbers: 

+6332 494 7000  ext 7541  or ext 7542  

At first they said the travel clearance is needed. I told them their own website says it is not needed. She said to "hold on a minute." When she came back she said I am right, it is not needed. She said my daughter only needs to present the document showing that she is a permanent resident. I told them that she doesn't have her card yet, only the visa stamp and she said that is all that is needed. Be advised though, the CFO could be needed as well if the minor is over 13 years of age. 

8 hours ago, Jaxpo said:

I was finally able to talk with Cebu Airport Immigration using one of these numbers: 

+6332 494 7000  ext 7541  or ext 7542  

At first they said the travel clearance is needed. I told them their own website says it is not needed. She said to "hold on a minute." When she came back she said I am right, it is not needed. She said my daughter only needs to present the document showing that she is a permanent resident. I told them that she doesn't have her card yet, only the visa stamp and she said that is all that is needed. Be advised though, the CFO could be needed as well if the minor is over 13 years of age. 

CFO is for exiting emigrates only .. those with green card (I-551) are not exiting emigrates.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

HandArrow.gif.adeb854ba620933849ae921ca0b44a0c.gif  Link to the Visa Process for Manila Embassy once you have your NOA2 : Click Here

Contact Hank: HERE

K-1 visa approved 21 March 2012

...Citizenship... complete!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.