Jordancc

K-1 Visa Financial Support

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi,

I was just wondering.
My fiancé and I are getting ready to start filling out the I-129F form, and getting all the extra's together.

However, currently she is unemployed as of not too long.

She is looking now for another job - so hopefully that won't take too long at all.

My question is - would she need to be employed BEFORE we send off the forms, will this cause a problem in future for this application and also does it matter if there is an employment gap for her?

Thank you,

Jordan

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

You won't need this kind of information for probably 8 months. Her financial documents (Form I-134 and proof of income) will be taken by you to your interview in London.   They are interested in current income, so if she finds a job and provides an employer letter stating she makes enough that should be sufficient for a London interview. She can also find somebody else to provide financial sponsorship if she fails to find work before your interview. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

"Unemployed" is never a good start to marriage planning.  Hopefully, she will have sufficient income to support you during the 6 months you will also be unemployed after arriving on a K-1.    Have you considered a CR-1 visa which would allow you to work immediately?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

The immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, PLANNING, time, patience, and MONEY.........

Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.

K-1
    Slightly faster arrival in the US (currently about 3 months sooner)    
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 5-6 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 5-6 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.

CR-1
    Slightly slower arrival in the US (currently about 3 months later)

Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.

Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

Issues aren't to do with money as such, as I'll be saving more the entire time and have a good deal of savings myself. She also has savings which can be used. The issue is more to do with the fact 'savings' alone aren't sufficient and she will need to be actually employed at the time. Thanks for the help guys, I have no doubt she'll be re-employed in more than enough time

Timeline

What I'm mostly worried about - is do they look for a stable set of pay packets for example dating back x months and if so, there won't be sufficient evidence unless my fiancé manages to secure a new job VERY SOON? If say, the employment began in March - would that be good enough? Not really sure what they look for in terms of proof of pay.

Timeline
29 minutes ago, Jordancc said:

What I'm mostly worried about - is do they look for a stable set of pay packets for example dating back x months and if so, there won't be sufficient evidence unless my fiancé manages to secure a new job VERY SOON? If say, the employment began in March - would that be good enough? Not really sure what they look for in terms of proof of pay.

I am extremely familiar with K1 interviews in London for 10 years. They are not that hard-nosed on the support issue. They do not demand a certain length history of employment. A letter from her new employer stating her job, salary, and that it is a full time position would be enough. They do not require income proven five different ways like you will read in this K1 forum. They do not require a tax return for K1s if you have another or better way to prove income.  Try would allow you to sponsor yourself if you had significant savings...tens of thousands. 

3 hours ago, missileman said:

The immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, PLANNING, time, patience, and MONEY.........

Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.

K-1
    Slightly faster arrival in the US (currently about 3 months sooner)    
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 5-6 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 5-6 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.

CR-1
    Slightly slower arrival in the US (currently about 3 months later)

Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.

Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.

The fees add up too!

K-1 Fees

$535 - USCIS Filing Fee

$265 per person - DS-160 (Visa Application)

$200 to $400 - Medical Fee

$1,225 per person - AOS Fee (Includes EAD/AP if filed together)

$750 per child under 14

$680 per person - ROC Fee

$640 per person Naturalization Fee

$85 per person Biometric Fee for Naturalization

$3,430 plus medical (K-1)

$2,895 plus medical (K-2 over 14 years old)

$2,420 plus medical (K-2 14 years old and younger) 

CR-1 Fees

$535 - USCIS Filing Fee

$120 - Affidavit of Support Fee

$325 - DS-260 (Visa Application)

$200 to $400 - Medical Fee

$220 - USCIS Immigrant Fee

$680 - ROC (if married less than 2 years at POE)

$1,925 plus medical (per person if married more than 2 years when filing)

$2,605 plus medical (per person if married less than 2 years at POE)

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
3 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

$1,925 plus medical (per person if married more than 2 years when filing)

$2,605 plus medical (per person if married less than 2 years at POE)

Never mind...I see....Thanks..

Edited by missileman

1 minute ago, missileman said:

Where did you get these numbers?

$535 - USCIS Filing Fee

No ROC for married over 2 years at POE

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
3 hours ago, Jordancc said:

Issues aren't to do with money as such, as I'll be saving more the entire time and have a good deal of savings myself. She also has savings which can be used. The issue is more to do with the fact 'savings' alone aren't sufficient and she will need to be actually employed at the time. Thanks for the help guys, I have no doubt she'll be re-employed in more than enough time

Many K-1 posters have said that the 6 month period of unemployment is difficult......not only because of the money, but because the new immigrant can not drive, work, etc.....they report that the period of idleness is very difficult psychologically.

1 minute ago, John & Rose said:

$535 - USCIS Filing Fee

No ROC for married over 2 years at POE

Thanks.  I initially thought it meant the medical costs were different...my bad....

3 minutes ago, missileman said:

Many K-1 posters have said that the 6 month period of unemployment is difficult......not only because of the money, but because the new immigrant can not drive, work, etc.....they report that the period of idleness is very difficult psychologically.

Thanks.  I initially thought it meant the medical costs were different...my bad....

We add $327 to the for the Philippines.  Medical is the one variable.

I just wanted the OP to see that maybe he should at least be aware of all the costs.  They dont happen at once but it is pricy.  Mine is times 3 for the CR-1.

Edited by John & Rose

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
12 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

I am extremely familiar with K1 interviews in London for 10 years. They are not that hard-nosed on the support issue. They do not demand a certain length history of employment. A letter from her new employer stating her job, salary, and that it is a full time position would be enough. They do not require income proven five different ways like you will read in this K1 forum. They do not require a tax return for K1s if you have another or better way to prove income.  Try would allow you to sponsor yourself if you had significant savings...tens of thousands. 

You can sponsor yourself? O_O 

Say I have 500k USD in my bank account (beneficiary) would they care about a sponsor?

Timeline
7 hours ago, purem4g1c said:

You can sponsor yourself? O_O 

Say I have 500k USD in my bank account (beneficiary) would they care about a sponsor?

You'd still need an American fiancé as a petitioner and a proveable strong relationship.  But you could sponsor yourself financially (for London) if he/she didn't meet the income requirements.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
9 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

You'd still need an American fiancé as a petitioner and a proveable strong relationship.  But you could sponsor yourself financially (for London) if he/she didn't meet the income requirements.

Mhm, my fiance is American, although I am using Montreal (canada) consulate. :) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.