Jump to content
NihonJim

ID / visa status after AOS

7 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Just curious, once your 90 days for the K1 is over, you are no longer in status for the K1 visa.  From what I've heard, the I-797 from USCIS when they receive your I485 gives you permission to stay, but does that mean my wife needs to carry that around until she has her green card?  What exactly should she be carrying around for ID/visa status once the 90 days is over?

 

Currently waiting for SSN, then we need to do a name change (already got married, but court clerk screwed us and didn't change her name), then change name for new SSN card, then submit 485 package.  Can we submit 485 package while we are waiting for her new SSN card (with new name), or should we wait to have it in our hands first?

 

Thanks for the help :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NihonJim said:

Just curious, once your 90 days for the K1 is over, you are no longer in status for the K1 visa.  From what I've heard, the I-797 from USCIS when they receive your I485 gives you permission to stay, but does that mean my wife needs to carry that around until she has her green card?  What exactly should she be carrying around for ID/visa status once the 90 days is over?

 

Currently waiting for SSN, then we need to do a name change (already got married, but court clerk screwed us and didn't change her name), then change name for new SSN card, then submit 485 package.  Can we submit 485 package while we are waiting for her new SSN card (with new name), or should we wait to have it in our hands first?

 

Thanks for the help :)

Nothing, just her passport but that's to identify herself if she needs to (at a bar, getting pulled over etc) No one will ask about immigration status and if they do they should have acces to that system them selfs.

 

You can submit I-485 while SSN with her new name is pending, it won't affect anything. SSN and USCIS are 2 different 'companies'. Just make sure to write her SSN down on the I-485 before sending it off (since it seems you already have the SSN) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, C90 said:

Just make sure to write her SSN down on the I-485 before sending it off (since it seems you already have the SSN) 

Not quite yet.  We applied on the 18th last month, but were told they couldn't verify something, so to call them back in 4 weeks.  That will be next Friday.  I'm hoping the number shows up this week or sometime next so we don't have to call and beg them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NihonJim said:

Not quite yet.  We applied on the 18th last month, but were told they couldn't verify something, so to call them back in 4 weeks.  That will be next Friday.  I'm hoping the number shows up this week or sometime next so we don't have to call and beg them.

That's pretty normal now a days, its manual verification. Mine took 3 weeks, some take longer, some take shorter.

If you don't have her SSN on time, there's a section on one of the forms (I think it's the I-765) that asks if she has a SSN and if she wants one. You could tick 'no' on both and explain on the last page of the form that you applied but are still waiting for her SSN. It's not a big deal and shouldn't result in a RFE or denial.

Edited by C90

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, C90 said:

That's pretty normal now a days, its manual verification. Mine took 3 weeks, some take longer, some take shorter.

If you don't have her SSN on time, there's a section on one of the forms (I think it's the I-765) that asks if she has a SSN and if she wants one. You could tick 'no' on both and explain on the last page of the form that you applied but are still waiting for her SSN. It's not a big deal and shouldn't result in a RFE or denial.

Or they could tick yes, explain the situation and if they dont get approved for the SSN now, it will come shortly after the EAD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, C90 said:

Nothing, just her passport but that's to identify herself if she needs to (at a bar, getting pulled over etc)

 

Hope everyone has a drivers license if they get pulled over as well :)


Adjusting from TN to GC as spouse of USC

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-11: Case is ready to be scheduled for interview

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - approved 

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expires 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×