Jump to content
Chocobo

Question about AP with EAD

6 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

 

I hope you're all having a good Monday.

 

I have a quick question regarding AP with an EAD.  My husband rec'd his EAD card this past weekend.  We did not file a I-131 with our package as there was no upcoming travel needs for him for the foreseeable future.  In light of that, and some Google image searches I did in our downtime, I fully anticipated seeing language on the EAD card indicating that the card was not able to be used for advanced parole.  However, his card as printed says that we can use it for advance parole.  To me, this seems weird.  Any thoughts?  We wondered if there was a possibility that this occurred due to the fact that he's Canadian.  

 

We have no plans for him to travel any time soon (domestically or internationally), so it's not a big issue.  However, if the event arose, it would be good to know if he COULD travel while the I-485 is still pending.

 

Thanks for any input you all have!  :) 


Petitioner: USC | Applicant: B2 | (c)9 AOS (Marriage)

07/31/18: Filed I-130, I-130A

08/01/18: Delivered Potomac Processing Center

08/07/18: Text/Mail Notifications (for I-130)

08/14/18: Hard Copy NOA (for I-130)

08/24/18: Mailed I-485, I-765, I-864

08/27/18: Delivered

08/31/18: Filed

09/04/18: Text Notifications (for I-485, I-765, I-864)

09/06/18: Hard Copy NOA (for I-485, I-765, I-864)

09/14/18: Biometrics letter rec'd

09/26/18: Biometrics appt completed

10/02/18: Ready for interview to be scheduled.

12/18/18: Form I-130 APPROVED!

01/27/19: EAD Approved and card being printed!

02/02/19: Combo card and SSN card arrived!

...Waiting....

 

4vrsm5.pngN3Zem6.png

 

3cPLm6.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chocobo said:

Hi everyone,

 

I hope you're all having a good Monday.

 

I have a quick question regarding AP with an EAD.  My husband rec'd his EAD card this past weekend.  We did not file a I-131 with our package as there was no upcoming travel needs for him for the foreseeable future.  In light of that, and some Google image searches I did in our downtime, I fully anticipated seeing language on the EAD card indicating that the card was not able to be used for advanced parole.  However, his card as printed says that we can use it for advance parole.  To me, this seems weird.  Any thoughts?  We wondered if there was a possibility that this occurred due to the fact that he's Canadian.  

 

We have no plans for him to travel any time soon (domestically or internationally), so it's not a big issue.  However, if the event arose, it would be good to know if he COULD travel while the I-485 is still pending.

 

Thanks for any input you all have!  :) 

Hmm, never heard of that before. You sure you didn't file form I-131? If not, I would call USCIS to clear things up. If he really didn't file AP but it is on the card (Serves as I-512 Advanced Parole), there is a chance he could get in some big trouble trying to re-enter the US if he would travel internationally before his GC arrives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, C90 said:

Hmm, never heard of that before. You sure you didn't file form I-131? If not, I would call USCIS to clear things up. If he really didn't file AP but it is on the card (Serves as I-512 Advanced Parole), there is a chance he could get in some big trouble trying to re-enter the US if he would travel internationally before his GC arrives.

Yep, double checked the card and it says "Serves as I-512 Advanced Parole".  I'm positive we didn't complete a form I-131, too.  So weird!!!  Something must've been goofed up somewhere.  Can't see the USCIS just giving a way a freebie like that.  "Hey, we like you!  Go ahead and get this authorization anyway.  We think you might need it."  

 

Since he has zero plans to travel anywhere, I'm not terribly concerned, but agreed, I don't want to have him encounter any issues if he did want to make a trip to Canada and get denied re-entry to the US.


Petitioner: USC | Applicant: B2 | (c)9 AOS (Marriage)

07/31/18: Filed I-130, I-130A

08/01/18: Delivered Potomac Processing Center

08/07/18: Text/Mail Notifications (for I-130)

08/14/18: Hard Copy NOA (for I-130)

08/24/18: Mailed I-485, I-765, I-864

08/27/18: Delivered

08/31/18: Filed

09/04/18: Text Notifications (for I-485, I-765, I-864)

09/06/18: Hard Copy NOA (for I-485, I-765, I-864)

09/14/18: Biometrics letter rec'd

09/26/18: Biometrics appt completed

10/02/18: Ready for interview to be scheduled.

12/18/18: Form I-130 APPROVED!

01/27/19: EAD Approved and card being printed!

02/02/19: Combo card and SSN card arrived!

...Waiting....

 

4vrsm5.pngN3Zem6.png

 

3cPLm6.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The post office never ceases to amaze me.  The NOA for the I-765 (advising the EAD has been approved) arrived yesterday (LOL!) and it, too, says that AP was granted...even though we never filed the form I-131.  SO WEIRD!!!!  

 

Hubby has decided it's a moot issue, he's not risking going anywhere until the green card arrives, so no need to get on the phone (aka sitting on hold) with USCIS.  Not worth the risk to him.  So, just leaving this out there for reference in case anyone else happens to see this in their process.  It's a curiosity to me now if they're just blanket giving the AP if you file for I-485.  🤷‍♀️

Edited by Chocobo

Petitioner: USC | Applicant: B2 | (c)9 AOS (Marriage)

07/31/18: Filed I-130, I-130A

08/01/18: Delivered Potomac Processing Center

08/07/18: Text/Mail Notifications (for I-130)

08/14/18: Hard Copy NOA (for I-130)

08/24/18: Mailed I-485, I-765, I-864

08/27/18: Delivered

08/31/18: Filed

09/04/18: Text Notifications (for I-485, I-765, I-864)

09/06/18: Hard Copy NOA (for I-485, I-765, I-864)

09/14/18: Biometrics letter rec'd

09/26/18: Biometrics appt completed

10/02/18: Ready for interview to be scheduled.

12/18/18: Form I-130 APPROVED!

01/27/19: EAD Approved and card being printed!

02/02/19: Combo card and SSN card arrived!

...Waiting....

 

4vrsm5.pngN3Zem6.png

 

3cPLm6.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure you filed it and just forgot about it because it's a good load of paperwork and what's one more form. 


Spoiler

2011-10-31 US Entry with CR1
2013-09-02 ROC filed
2013-09-12 NOA
2014-03-05 Biometrics
2014-03-24 Approved
2014-05-05 Green card received
2016-08-02 N400 filed
2016-08-12 NOA
2016-09-02 Biometrics
2017-05-04 Interview
2017-07-05 Oath Ceremony

 


s-event.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, little immigrant said:

I'm sure you filed it and just forgot about it because it's a good load of paperwork and what's one more form. 

That's a good point, but I'm sure I didn't file it.  I have a PDF of the entire package that I sent out as well as the drafts of the PDF's.  It's so weird!  Trust me, I'm not complaining, I'm just perplexed.  LOL


Petitioner: USC | Applicant: B2 | (c)9 AOS (Marriage)

07/31/18: Filed I-130, I-130A

08/01/18: Delivered Potomac Processing Center

08/07/18: Text/Mail Notifications (for I-130)

08/14/18: Hard Copy NOA (for I-130)

08/24/18: Mailed I-485, I-765, I-864

08/27/18: Delivered

08/31/18: Filed

09/04/18: Text Notifications (for I-485, I-765, I-864)

09/06/18: Hard Copy NOA (for I-485, I-765, I-864)

09/14/18: Biometrics letter rec'd

09/26/18: Biometrics appt completed

10/02/18: Ready for interview to be scheduled.

12/18/18: Form I-130 APPROVED!

01/27/19: EAD Approved and card being printed!

02/02/19: Combo card and SSN card arrived!

...Waiting....

 

4vrsm5.pngN3Zem6.png

 

3cPLm6.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×