Banana9ieue

What to do while waiting for the NOA2

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I am just just going about my regular life. I travel a lot in my business so my honey and I will be meeting up as much as possible. We are trying to see each other at least every 6 to 8 weeks. We were together for Thanksgiving,  Christmas, meeting again in February (Valentine's woohoo) and so far we are meeting up in April for Easter. He has South African residency so we meet there and in various countries. Gotta make this work at all costs.  We will meet in June somewhere but we have time to figure it out.

20 hours ago, Ella and James said:

Thank you! That is a great idea. 

I would love to go to visit my fiancee in the US but I've heard that it is really unlikely that I would get a visitor's visa to go over there since we have filed for the K1 visa. They might think that I'm trying to shortcut the process.

How did you manage to go travelling in the U.S.?

I have visited a fair few times since filing for the K1, my most recent of which was after receiving the NOA2. All done through an ESTA with no questions, just be honest and have proof of returning back home. 

Summary:

Filed I129f: 06/09/2018

NOA2 dated: 11/29/2018

NVC Case #: Fianceé (USC) Called and received it: 01/08/2019

Case Shipped: 01/08/2019

Case Received: 01/15/2019

Medical: 02/08/2019

Interview: 03/11/2019 - Approved

Visa In Hand: 03/15/2019

US Entry: 05/11/2019 - DTW

Marriage: 06/22/2019

Filed AOS/EAD/AP: 08/02/2019

NOA1: 08/09/2019

RFE: 09/29/2019

Biometrics: 09/30/2019

Interview Letter Received: 11/02/2019

Interview Date: 12/09/2019

AOS Approval Date: 01/04/2020 (Assuming - that's the valid date on my card)

Green Card Received: 01/08/2020

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lithuania
Timeline

We got engaged waaaaaay before filing K-1, i believe 2015. Third time they took her to secondary and asked why she was coming here so often, and she explained that visiting fiance. Then they started asking does she know that ESTA is not a permit to live in US and yadayadayada, 100 questions about me and her, and us in general. After that EVERY. SINGLE. TIME she came here they took her to secondary, though she was still studying and working. They kept pushing her that she was working here and so on. She always said truth, that she's coming to stay with me while she has time off University, she goes to the gym while im at work, meets up with friends (most of them have kids and are housewives basically lol), cleans up the house, does cooking and otherwise passes the time.

last two times they were straight forward "are you coming here to stay,work, get married and adjust status?" she said no, and that we are going the K-1 route, and it would be genuinely stupid to put whole time, relationship, and money spent for tickets at gamble, to save a couple months, they laughed it off and said "yeah we thought so, since you're graduated and it's third time here since, and you always come back on time, just don't stay too long, as you're very close on paper to qualify as "living in US", stay in Your country longer this year", They said that they appreciate people like us, who do it right, and go through process of K-1 or CR-1 instead of adjusting, congratulated her and thanked her for honesty and obeying law, and wished us all the luck with K-1.

That was it with flying to US, when they even knew that we are engaged and she was a high risk of adjusting, with all the comings for 2-3months at once. I guess we got lucky with officers. If anyone from Newark airport border reads this, Thank You!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I would definitely avail of the opportunity of using the Dublin/Shannon Pre-clearance if you have any worries! I guess I was lucky as it was only a 2 hour train ride from me but for me, it made me extremely more relaxed for my flight as I knew I had no issues nor would have after passing through Dublin and doing all immigration things there. Not to mention you get some cracking deals flying from there too...

Edited by jakejon

Definitely get a job - get two or three if possible and save as much money as you possibly can.

1.Working really hard will distract you from the waiting time and the worry

2. Work experience is going to look better than nothing when you start applying for jobs in the US

3. Immigration, a wedding, setting up a new home with your new spouse and being on the K1 visa for several months with no income is VERY EXPENSIVE

If you are already very wealthy and have no need of work experience because you won't be getting a job ever, then I guess you don't need to bother getting a job!

-

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.