EnglishLove

What to expect for medical exam in the UK

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello,

I'm curious to anyone in the UK who has had their medical exam of what to expect? What were you required to bring and what type of questions did they ask? Were the results sent to you or straight to the embassy?

3 hours ago, Pooley said:

Hello,

I'm curious to anyone in the UK who has had their medical exam of what to expect? What were you required to bring and what type of questions did they ask? Were the results sent to you or straight to the embassy?

Hey! I had mine November 7th. This is my write up from BE

My appointment was at 10:50am and I arrived at 10:40am (tubes strikes). I buzzed the button on the door and was let in. It’s all signposted so you know where to go. Went to the reception and gave them the documents they requested- ACRO, passport, 4x passport photos, medical questionnaire, letter from my GP and my patient summary plus vaccination records (I had all jabs done before hand). I also took my form from Boots to say I had my flu jab. I was handed a urine pot and another questionnaire which is a bit more in-depth than the one you take in. I then handed that in to reception and sat in the waiting room. You can fill the urine pot at any time during your time there. 
It was really busy the day I was there with families etc.
I was first seen by a nurse who was lovely and she did some basic obs such as blood pressure, height, temperature. I then sat back down in the waiting room. 
Next was chest x-ray you can have someone with you for that if you wanted. You take off everything on top and put on a gown and they X-ray your chest. The man was so nice and friendly! After I kept asking him questions as she shows you the X-ray on screen - pretty cool! 
Back to the waiting room for quite a while but then I was seen by the doctor. We sat down and went through all my notes. We discussed an arrest I had when I was 17 it was drinking related (that detail wasn’t mention on the report but I told them anyway) so he asked about my drinking now which I replied with indent every couple of months which is true I’m not a drinker at all. 
Next up was about my depression and over dose. In the past I turned down any treatment as I didn’t want or need it so the doctor wanted another letter from my GP with more info on the over dose (took a week to get and wasn’t a problem). He then took blood and checked my arms for self harm I guess as he asked me if I had self harmed and I hadn’t then he checked limbs and pressed on my tummy. Then it was a quick check of ears and throat. I then put my glasses on and did a vision exam. 
Back to the waiting room until I got called by reception, handed in urine pot, told them when my interview was and they handed me my medical documents (they also send a copy to embassy) and I paid the £330.

I was there for about 3 hours due to how busy it was.

They give you some papers for AOS (vaccinations), the results get sent straight to the embassy, if you don't hear anything from them then you are good to go. Leave around 2 weeks between medical and interview to be on the safe side if you want it there on time. You get a copy of your chest X-Ray at your interview.

Hope that helps :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
8 hours ago, Pooley said:

Hello,

There's a UK forum where people talk about the medical exam in London. Start reading about London specific topics in general before your case gets there to be better prepared for you medical, interview, getting the visa back, etc. https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/99-united-kingdom/

Note: the pinned threads at the top are many years old and not longer appropriate.

This is the clinic website with lots of information on what to bring  http://www.visamedicals.co.uk/us.htm

This is the detailed info on the visa medical exam and what the doctors (called Panel Physicians) are checking. https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/exams/ti/panel/technical-instructions-panel-physicians.html

They do not routinely test for drugs, BUT if you admit to ever using anything even once twenty years ago, you will be tested. And they WILL definitely ask you about any history of drug use. 

The exam is fairly straightforward and very much like having a full physical. A urine and blood test is also taken as well as a chest x-ray. They will fill out a form, and questions involving mental health, drugs, and alcohol use will be asked, and the doctor may go over those things with the patient and based on answers may require further testing. The website will tell you what is required to be brought, and it is important that if the patient has had any prior issues with mental health that their GP writes out a statement involving condition, treatment, and the important words ''not a danger to themselves or others''. Vaccination history will be discussed. It is important that the patient go to their GP or even a pharmacy well before their appointment and receive all of their vaccinations on the required list. While it is not necessary in order to receive the K1 visa, it will be much cheaper in the long run. Receiving the vaccinations at Knightsbridge will be expensive and sometimes difficult. If you do not receive any vaccinations ahead of time, then after marriage and filing for AOS you will have to look for a US civil surgeon to receive them at an even greater expense, time, and hassle. Before you leave, the patient must be given a copy of DS3025 (vaccination record). Keep this for your records, you will need it for AOS later, and do not leave Knightsbridge without it.

For information about vaccinations see here.

Go to your NHS doctor and get the immunizations you will need for Adjustment of Status. You can get a K1 visa without having any shots, but you will need them before AOS. It’s extremely wise to take care of it before getting to the US so you can avoid civil surgeon hassles and $$$. Many NHS doctors will do them for free, but they are not obligated to do so for immigration purposes. Get the shots documented by your doctor to take to your visa medical exam. If your doctor should say you don’t need something on this list, remember you have to go by US rules and that differs from UK standards. Here are the shots needed for 19 through 59 years of age:

• Td or Tdap - Tetanus/diptheria/pertussis or get DT, DTP or DtaP and it will be accepted for AOS also. The latest shot must be no longer than 10 years ago or you need a booster. If you have a record of receiving pertussis, then the Td is okay for the booster.
  • MMR - (if born in 1957 or later)-Mumps/measles/rubella. It's two doses in your life, but if you get the first dose, and 4 weeks haven't passed by your medical, they will waive the second dose for "insufficient time interval". If you only had one dose as a child, get a second one before the medical.
  • Varicella - Not routinely given in the UK . A history of having chickenpox excuses you from the shot. They take your word for it at the visa medical exam.
  • Influenza – Required during flu season only, October 1 through March 31. This was a new recommendation dated November 2010 for all ages over 6 months. Older lists will say flu shots for over age 50. It changed. The list on the London embassy website is out of date since 2009. Don’t follow it.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Just a quick question: 

Does the physician Doctor keep the medical report from GP or do they send it off to the Embassy, because I thought I was suppose to get that back but my physician kept it .. did they forget to give it to me or do they keep and pass onto the embassy?

Thanks in advance 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
2 hours ago, Silver12 said:

Just a quick question: 

Does the physician Doctor keep the medical report from GP or do they send it off to the Embassy, because I thought I was suppose to get that back but my physician kept it .. did they forget to give it to me or do they keep and pass onto the embassy?

Thanks in advance 

Call them and ask. 

• 2 years later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.