Jump to content
Daniela M_______

When did you quit your job?

10 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi guys, 

 

When did you quit your job while in the process of K1 visa?

 

I'm getting my interview in Juarez in 30 days, and I'm so anxious about it but most about the job situation:

 

I've been here in this company for 3 months hired by an outsourcing, and the company decided to give me a full time position so now I'm a direct employee, I just signed my new contract last week. They are counting on me to stay for some years... They even got me a new work laptop a phone and they have been trainning me to take care of my department responsibility. (They are investing in me).

 

They don't have any idea about the visa because I didn't mention anything when they hired me, and I feel really bad about this white lie let's say... I feel bad because I've always been really responsible at my jobs and committed with my work, but... I HAVE to leave.

 

I'm just trying to figure out the best moment to quit. We have a strong case, no high risk country or anything so almost sure the visa will be granted but I'm still thinking it's a risk to quit before the interview. (I wanted to let them know I'm leaving an then keep working until I get my VOH)

 

How did you manage to handle this job-life situation?

 

 

 


Nice to meet you: Dec 27, 2016 Mexico

1st Visit: March, 2017 Mexico

2nd Visit: May, 2017 Mexico

3rd Visit: October, 2017. Mexico

4th Visit: January, 2018 Mexico

NOA 1 *NEW* USCIS website: March 01, 2018

5th Visit: May, 2018 Mexico.

RFE USCIS website: September 26, 2018

RFE Hard copy: October 01, 2018

RFE Response Sent:  October 10, 2018

RFE Received by USCIS:  October 16, 2018

NOA2!!!!! *NEW* USCIS website: November 2, 2018

NVC Received: November 14, 2018

NVC Case Number: November 29, 2018

NVC In Transit: December 11, 2018

NVC Ready: December 13, 2018

6th Visit: January 25, 2019. Mexico

Interview: February 20, 2018

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Daniela M_______ said:

Hi guys, 

 

When did you quit your job while in the process of K1 visa?

 

I'm getting my interview in Juarez in 30 days, and I'm so anxious about it but most about the job situation:

 

I've been here in this company for 3 months hired by an outsourcing, and the company decided to give me a full time position so now I'm a direct employee, I just signed my new contract last week. They are counting on me to stay for some years... They even got me a new work laptop a phone and they have been trainning me to take care of my department responsibility. (They are investing in me).

 

They don't have any idea about the visa because I didn't mention anything when they hired me, and I feel really bad about this white lie let's say... I feel bad because I've always been really responsible at my jobs and committed with my work, but... I HAVE to leave.

 

I'm just trying to figure out the best moment to quit. We have a strong case, no high risk country or anything so almost sure the visa will be granted but I'm still thinking it's a risk to quit before the interview. (I wanted to let them know I'm leaving an then keep working until I get my VOH)

 

How did you manage to handle this job-life situation?

 

 

 

For me it’s just a bit of luck, my contract runs out at the end of February and I won’t be resigning a new one (hopefully my interview is before then but potentially it won’t be). 

 

How much notice are you required to give? I would just give the notice after your interview if I were in your situation. 


event.png

 

K1 Timeline

07/23/2018    I-129F sent

07/25/2018    NOA1 email notification

07/30/2018    NOA1 hard copy

12/21/2018    NOA2 hard copy

01/10/2019    NVC Case # assigned

01/22/2019    Left NVC

01/29/2019    Embassy received

01/29/2019    Pkt 3 sent

02/01/2019    Pkt 4 received

02/13/2019    Medical

03/26/2019    Interview

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Daniela M_______ said:

Hi guys, 

 

When did you quit your job while in the process of K1 visa?

 

I'm getting my interview in Juarez in 30 days, and I'm so anxious about it but most about the job situation:

 

I've been here in this company for 3 months hired by an outsourcing, and the company decided to give me a full time position so now I'm a direct employee, I just signed my new contract last week. They are counting on me to stay for some years... They even got me a new work laptop a phone and they have been trainning me to take care of my department responsibility. (They are investing in me).

 

They don't have any idea about the visa because I didn't mention anything when they hired me, and I feel really bad about this white lie let's say... I feel bad because I've always been really responsible at my jobs and committed with my work, but... I HAVE to leave.

 

I'm just trying to figure out the best moment to quit. We have a strong case, no high risk country or anything so almost sure the visa will be granted but I'm still thinking it's a risk to quit before the interview. (I wanted to let them know I'm leaving an then keep working until I get my VOH)

 

How did you manage to handle this job-life situation?

 

 

 

Don't quit your job before your visa is actually approved and you have it. You won't be the first one to be confident that you're getting approved and ending up with an RFE, denial or long AP (not saying it's going to happen but even USCIS tells you not to quit your job before you have your visa). I quit my job once I had my visa in my hands.

I didn't tell my work either while we were in the process, even when they asked if I was planning on moving to the US just because I was a temp. In the end my boss completely understood and I gave him 4 weeks notice. In my opinion you should give them at least that amount of time and don't quit within a day or so, that would be kinda lame towards your boss

Edited by C90

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ethan & Shannon said:

For me it’s just a bit of luck, my contract runs out at the end of February and I won’t be resigning a new one (hopefully my interview is before then but potentially it won’t be). 

 

How much notice are you required to give? I would just give the notice after your interview if I were in your situation. 

By law, I can go the very next day after quitting lol. I'm planning to give at least a 3 weeks notice. 

 

And I have to make up a story for the 3 days I have to take off for the interview (consider I'm just taking 3 days off next week because my fiance is visiting but I didnt tell them that was the reason). 


Nice to meet you: Dec 27, 2016 Mexico

1st Visit: March, 2017 Mexico

2nd Visit: May, 2017 Mexico

3rd Visit: October, 2017. Mexico

4th Visit: January, 2018 Mexico

NOA 1 *NEW* USCIS website: March 01, 2018

5th Visit: May, 2018 Mexico.

RFE USCIS website: September 26, 2018

RFE Hard copy: October 01, 2018

RFE Response Sent:  October 10, 2018

RFE Received by USCIS:  October 16, 2018

NOA2!!!!! *NEW* USCIS website: November 2, 2018

NVC Received: November 14, 2018

NVC Case Number: November 29, 2018

NVC In Transit: December 11, 2018

NVC Ready: December 13, 2018

6th Visit: January 25, 2019. Mexico

Interview: February 20, 2018

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, C90 said:

Don't quit your job before your visa is actually approved and you have it. You won't be the first one to be confident that you're getting approved and ending up with an RFE, denial or long AP (not saying it's going to happen but even USCIS tells you not to quit your job before you have your visa). I quit my job once I had my visa in my hands.

I didn't tell my work either, even when they asked if I was planning on going to the US just because I was a temp. In the end my boss completely understood and I gave him 4 weeks notice. In my opinion you should give them at least that amount of time and don't quit within a day or so, that would be kinda lame towards your boss

Yeah I wouldnt be capable of doing so, they have been really nice with me and I really like it here... What makes me sad is that I've been kind of lying about the whole thing and I hate not being able to tell the truth :( They would have never given me the position back in October if I would have said that I was leaving in 6 months 


Nice to meet you: Dec 27, 2016 Mexico

1st Visit: March, 2017 Mexico

2nd Visit: May, 2017 Mexico

3rd Visit: October, 2017. Mexico

4th Visit: January, 2018 Mexico

NOA 1 *NEW* USCIS website: March 01, 2018

5th Visit: May, 2018 Mexico.

RFE USCIS website: September 26, 2018

RFE Hard copy: October 01, 2018

RFE Response Sent:  October 10, 2018

RFE Received by USCIS:  October 16, 2018

NOA2!!!!! *NEW* USCIS website: November 2, 2018

NVC Received: November 14, 2018

NVC Case Number: November 29, 2018

NVC In Transit: December 11, 2018

NVC Ready: December 13, 2018

6th Visit: January 25, 2019. Mexico

Interview: February 20, 2018

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Daniela M_______ said:

By law, I can go the very next day after quitting lol. I'm planning to give at least a 3 weeks notice. 

 

And I have to make up a story for the 3 days I have to take off for the interview (consider I'm just taking 3 days off next week because my fiance is visiting but I didnt tell them that was the reason). 

If you give them notice after your interview that buys you some time to keep busy before you receive the visa in hand and then plan your travel/moving your life to a new country.

 


event.png

 

K1 Timeline

07/23/2018    I-129F sent

07/25/2018    NOA1 email notification

07/30/2018    NOA1 hard copy

12/21/2018    NOA2 hard copy

01/10/2019    NVC Case # assigned

01/22/2019    Left NVC

01/29/2019    Embassy received

01/29/2019    Pkt 3 sent

02/01/2019    Pkt 4 received

02/13/2019    Medical

03/26/2019    Interview

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Daniela M_______ said:

Yeah I wouldnt be capable of doing so, they have been really nice with me and I really like it here... What makes me sad is that I've been kind of lying about the whole thing and I hate not being able to tell the truth :( They would have never given me the position back in October if I would have said that I was leaving in 6 months 

Things come up in life, that's the risk of owning a business. My boss completely understood when I explained to him why I didn't tell him before since I was a temp but they kept renewing my contract. He was very happy for me, glad that I gave him long enough notice and I also offered him to get the new person familiar with all the processes. I think as long as you do that you'll be fine. And worst case scenario, if your boss is a ####### about it well then that's their problem and they're not the best boss ((s)he could be a little annoyed at first, but they shouldn't get too mad)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ethan & Shannon said:

If you give them notice after your interview that buys you some time to keep busy before you receive the visa in hand and then plan your travel/moving your life to a new country.

 

Yes... actually this is my second moving of country, I left home 2 years ago so I already know what to expect :) 

 

But yes I guess you right!


Nice to meet you: Dec 27, 2016 Mexico

1st Visit: March, 2017 Mexico

2nd Visit: May, 2017 Mexico

3rd Visit: October, 2017. Mexico

4th Visit: January, 2018 Mexico

NOA 1 *NEW* USCIS website: March 01, 2018

5th Visit: May, 2018 Mexico.

RFE USCIS website: September 26, 2018

RFE Hard copy: October 01, 2018

RFE Response Sent:  October 10, 2018

RFE Received by USCIS:  October 16, 2018

NOA2!!!!! *NEW* USCIS website: November 2, 2018

NVC Received: November 14, 2018

NVC Case Number: November 29, 2018

NVC In Transit: December 11, 2018

NVC Ready: December 13, 2018

6th Visit: January 25, 2019. Mexico

Interview: February 20, 2018

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, C90 said:

Things come up in life, that's the risk of owning a business. My boss completely understood when I explained to him why I didn't tell him before since I was a temp but they kept renewing my contract. He was very happy for me, glad that I gave him long enough notice and I also offered him to get the new person familiar with all the processes. I think as long as you do that you'll be fine. And worst case scenario, if your boss is a ####### about it well then that's their problem and they're not the best boss ((s)he could be a little annoyed at first, but they shouldn't get too mad)

Yes they should understand, life plans change... 


Nice to meet you: Dec 27, 2016 Mexico

1st Visit: March, 2017 Mexico

2nd Visit: May, 2017 Mexico

3rd Visit: October, 2017. Mexico

4th Visit: January, 2018 Mexico

NOA 1 *NEW* USCIS website: March 01, 2018

5th Visit: May, 2018 Mexico.

RFE USCIS website: September 26, 2018

RFE Hard copy: October 01, 2018

RFE Response Sent:  October 10, 2018

RFE Received by USCIS:  October 16, 2018

NOA2!!!!! *NEW* USCIS website: November 2, 2018

NVC Received: November 14, 2018

NVC Case Number: November 29, 2018

NVC In Transit: December 11, 2018

NVC Ready: December 13, 2018

6th Visit: January 25, 2019. Mexico

Interview: February 20, 2018

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the comment that recommends you don't quit a job, sell a home, buy a plane ticket, put a deposit on a wedding venue, or anything like that, until you have the K-1 visa in your passport and in your hands.  Nearly every week we see examples here on VJ of people who make the mistake of assuming that their visa will be approved by a particular date and then they don't get approved or the visa takes a while to get back to them after the interview or goes into AP or whatever and they pay the price later.  So many things can delay it.  Better safe than sorry and not make assumptions about a process that you mostly have no control over.  Good luck with the rest of the process!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×