Jump to content
bolin786

Salary requirements for I-134

23 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I am getting ready to help my stepdaughter complete Form I-134 for her fiancé in the Philippines.  Her salary is just shy about $100 from the Federal Poverty Guideline of $16,910.00 for two persons.  She is getting a letter from her bank detailing her checking and savings account as well as a letter from her employer, and submitting her 2018 IRS return. I am planning to be a co-sponsor, just in case.  My question is if my wife, who is employed and files a joint return with me, should she also fill out the co-sponsorship since we file  jointly.  Should we both complete the co-sponsor I-134 form, or complete 2 separate I-134 forms as co-sponsors?

Edited by bolin786
spelling error

Archie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bolin786 said:

I am getting ready to help my stepdaughter complete Form I-134 for her fiancé in the Philippines.  Her salary is just shy about $100 from the Federal Poverty Guideline of $16,910.00 for two persons.  She is getting a letter from her bank detailing her checking and savings account as well as a letter from her employer, and submitting her 2018 IRS return. I am planning to be a co-sponsor, just in case.  My question is if my wife, who is employed and files a joint return with me, should she also fill out the co-sponsorship since we file  jointly.  Should we both complete the co-sponsor I-134 form, or complete 2 separate I-134 forms as co-sponsors?

Is the interview in Manila?


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not experienced but I've been looking into the same thing so take my response with a grain of salt. My mother who is a W2 employee, is cosponsoring my K1 and is married to my father who is self-employed. I chose my mother because she is W2 and the paperwork seems to be more straight forward and consistent. They file jointly though.

 

On the actual instructions for i-134, all it says is to include tax returns if you're self employed, OR a letter of employment if you're an employee. If that's the case, then your employment letter will just show yours not your spouses income, but everyone here seems to always bring a whole library of tax returns, pay stubs, w2s, etc.  I guess it's better to have and not need than need and not have.

 

I'm guessing if you qualify with your own income you could go that route. Employment Letter, Paystubs, W2, all for your own personal income and even bring the tax returns just so you have it.

 

If you're wanting to include your spouses to show it being higher I'm not sure how that works.

 

Sorry If I'm not much help. I'm just a guy in the same boat trying to sort it all out. I feel your pain bro.

 

supporting evidence.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bolin786 said:

Payxibba,

Yes the interview will be in manila.

Yes, the interview will be in Manila.

You have a couple of potential problems.   Historically,  Manila does not allow assets to make up any income shortfall,  nor have they been known to accept co sponsors 


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, payxibka said:

You have a couple of potential problems.   Historically,  Manila does not allow assets to make up any income shortfall,  nor have they been known to accept co sponsors 

payxibba,

Is the salary amount pre-tax or post-tax?  My  stepdaughter makes $10.00/hr for a 40 hr week. Therefore, her salary is actually $18,200.00, (pre-tax),well over the 2019  Federal Poverty Level of $16,910.00 for 2 persons. I would greatly appreciate your input. Please make suggestions.  She also babysits on a part-time basis but she has not declared this income in her taxes.  If need be, she can start reporting this as income as of January, 2019. 

bolin786


Archie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bolin786 said:

payxibba,

Is the salary amount pre-tax or post-tax?  My  stepdaughter makes $10.00/hr for a 40 hr week. Therefore, her salary is actually $18,200.00, (pre-tax),well over the 2019  Federal Poverty Level of $16,910.00 for 2 persons. I would greatly appreciate your input. Please make suggestions.  She also babysits on a part-time basis but she has not declared this income in her taxes.  If need be, she can start reporting this as income as of January, 2019. 

bolin786

May I suggest visiting the Philippines regional forum.  Many very familiar with the ins and outside of the consulate 

 Manila may actually use 125% of the poverty.   In reality the standard is the the CO must be "convinced " which is an ambiguous standard 


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be assisting my stepdaughter complete her K-1 Visa application for her fiancé.  I would like to know in details all information on the income requirements for her for the Manila Consulate.  She makes around $20,800.00 gross pay.  I believe the 100 %  2019 Federal Poverty guideline for 2 is $16,910.00.  According to what I have read already, she is way over the 100% requirements.  Am I correct, or does Manila requires 125% of the Fede3ral Poverty Guidelines?  Do they accept assets or co-sponsors? Please help with suggestions.

Thanks,

bolin786


Archie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Manila typically does not request an I-134, although it is recommended to have one anyway in case they do. There's a small handful of reports that it is being asked for more regularly now.

 

Manila COs usually do not consider assets, and only accept a co sponsor for the K-1 on a case by case basis. A close family member may or may not be alright.

 

The CO looks at a totality of the circumstances to determine if there is a public charge concern.


Timelines:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago

9/27/17: received by USCIS

10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received

10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received

10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update)

1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed

1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received

1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice

10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice

10/25/18: Formal approval

10/31/18: Green card received

 

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/17: sent

12/14/17: NOA1 hard copy received

3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification)

3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved!

3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

 

NVC

4/6/2017: Received

4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy

4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy

4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

 

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bolin786 said:

I will be assisting my stepdaughter complete her K-1 Visa application for her fiancé.  I would like to know in details all information on the income requirements for her for the Manila Consulate.  She makes around $20,800.00 gross pay.  I believe the 100 %  2019 Federal Poverty guideline for 2 is $16,910.00.  According to what I have read already, she is way over the 100% requirements.  Am I correct, or does Manila requires 125% of the Fede3ral Poverty Guidelines?  Do they accept assets or co-sponsors? Please help with suggestions.

Thanks,

bolin786

Embassy in Manila used 125% the same as required for AOS (I-1485 for conditional green card) which is $20,575  if gross income is over that all is good.    https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p     

 

Embassy does accept co-sponsors on a case by case basis with the K-1.  They will want the co-sponsor to be a close family member - parents or siblings to even consider them.

 

Has she completed the I-129F petition process and are now ready to complete the actual visa application at USEM?

 

 


Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

 

      HandArrow.gif.adeb854ba620933849ae921ca0b44a0c.gif  Link to the Visa Process for Manila Embassy once you have your NOA2 : Click Here

 

Contact Hank: HERE

K-1 visa approved 21 March 2012

...Citizenship... complete!

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, geowrian said:

Manila typically does not request an I-134, although it is recommended to have one anyway in case they do. There's a small handful of reports that it is being asked for more regularly now.

 

Manila COs usually do not consider assets, and only accept a co sponsor for the K-1 on a case by case basis. A close family member may or may not be alright.

 

The CO looks at a totality of the circumstances to determine if there is a public charge concern.

The I-134 and supporting documents are listed as required on the K-1 Checklist , whether the embassy asks for financial support documents is solely at the embassy discretion.    Embassy does not consider assets.

 

And yes I agree the embassy does not always ask for it with the K-1 .. but the applicant needs to be prepared.


Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

 

      HandArrow.gif.adeb854ba620933849ae921ca0b44a0c.gif  Link to the Visa Process for Manila Embassy once you have your NOA2 : Click Here

 

Contact Hank: HERE

K-1 visa approved 21 March 2012

...Citizenship... complete!

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, bolin786 said:

I will be assisting my stepdaughter complete her K-1 Visa application for her fiancé.  I would like to know in details all information on the income requirements for her for the Manila Consulate.  She makes around $20,800.00 gross pay.  I believe the 100 %  2019 Federal Poverty guideline for 2 is $16,910.00.  According to what I have read already, she is way over the 100% requirements.  Am I correct, or does Manila requires 125% of the Fede3ral Poverty Guidelines?  Do they accept assets or co-sponsors? Please help with suggestions.

Thanks,

bolin786

Your just over the poverty guides at 125% so she should be good to go. They look at line 22 of the most current 1040 for that number. If she still is good and since she is so close, it would be prudent to send her the co-sponsor information in the event she needs it. Like others have said it's been number of years that they have asked for financials but again best be prepared.


Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

Your just over the poverty guides at 125% so she should be good to go. They look at line 22 of the most current 1040 for that number. If she still is good and since she is so close, it would be prudent to send her the co-sponsor information in the event she needs it. Like others have said it's been number of years that they have asked for financials but again best be prepared.

For 2018 and beyond it will be line 6


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Greenbaum said:

Your just over the poverty guides at 125% so she should be good to go. They look at line 22 of the most current 1040 for that number. If she still is good and since she is so close, it would be prudent to send her the co-sponsor information in the event she needs it. Like others have said it's been number of years that they have asked for financials but again best be prepared.

Thanks for your comments,

bolin 786


Archie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hank_ said:

Embassy in Manila used 125% the same as required for AOS (I-1485 for conditional green card) which is $20,575  if gross income is over that all is good.    https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p     

 

Embassy does accept co-sponsors on a case by case basis with the K-1.  They will want the co-sponsor to be a close family member - parents or siblings to even consider them.

 

Has she completed the I-129F petition process and are now ready to complete the actual visa application at USEM?

 

 

Her fiancé has yet to complete his actual visa application.  She just mailed her I-129F but we are planning ahead to avoid any possible problems. You state $20,575.00 as 125 % over the Poverty Guidelines.  I wonder where you got the figures, since I thought that  100% was $16,910.00 so 125 % would be $21,137.00. 

Thanks,

bolin786


Archie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×