Nicole&Ilyess

No Social Security Number and ITIN #

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

My husband doesn't have a social security # yet because we just filed for adjustment of status 2 months ago along with Work Authorization. We tried getting a social security number before we got married but the office made a mistake and delayed the application. By the time they figured out what they did my husband had no status because we got married. We were told now we have to wait. The problem now is, we can't get a ITIN# because it states to get one you have to send in a tax return when applying. I will file taxes in a month or two for myself, and want him on my taxes of course but I need to get him on my apartment lease, and on my bank account. I was able to put him on my credit card, they don't ask for social security #. But I don't know how i'll be able to add him to the other things without a social or ITIN # and his visa is now expired. These things are critical for our AOS interview, and I feel like we are stuck.  I have been stressing about this everyday along with working overtime I'm making myself sick. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Nicole&Ilyess said:

My husband doesn't have a social security # yet because we just filed for adjustment of status 2 months ago along with Work Authorization. We tried getting a social security number before we got married but the office made a mistake and delayed the application. By the time they figured out what they did my husband had no status because we got married. We were told now we have to wait. The problem now is, we can't get a ITIN# because it states to get one you have to send in a tax return when applying. I will file taxes in a month or two for myself, and want him on my taxes of course but I need to get him on my apartment lease, and on my bank account. I was able to put him on my credit card, they don't ask for social security #. But I don't know how i'll be able to add him to the other things without a social or ITIN # and his visa is now expired. These things are critical for our AOS interview, and I feel like we are stuck.  I have been stressing about this everyday along with working overtime I'm making myself sick. 

if you file your tax return and the application for ITIN at the same time you can request they get the passport back to you asap, when I filed for ITIN for my husband before he was not even in the USA, I sent a self address prepaid overnight envelope and asked them to return it as quick as possible, it took about 3 weeks to get the passport back, shortly after that his itin letter came in the mail.

so you can still file an Itin with your taxes all has to be done by paper there will be no electronic filing, and still get it back by mid to late Feb.

I did my husbands end of Jan last year and got it back end of Feb.

you then can use that to get him added to bank accounts, credit cards, apartment lease.

Edited by Khallaf

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
56 minutes ago, Nicole&Ilyess said:

Just find a local acceptance agent and they can validate the documents if you don't want to send off the passport 

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline
Just now, payxibka said:

Just find a local acceptance agent and they can validate the documents if you don't want to send off the passport 

Will be it ok if his visa is currently expired? I mean they will understand that whole K1 Visa situation right, and that he is legal here because we got married and just waiting for AOS? Also will we have to still do the tax return if we go to an acceptance agent? Thank you for your help.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Nicole&Ilyess said:

Will be it ok if his visa is currently expired? I mean they will understand that whole K1 Visa situation right, and that he is legal here because we got married and just waiting for AOS? Also will we have to still do the tax return if we go to an acceptance agent? Thank you for your help.

The return will still need to be prepared 

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.