Jump to content
pantonia

Notify USCIS of new foreign citizenship?

13 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi, I'm not sure where this post should go, so please feel free to redirect me!

 

So, I'm a Chilean citizen, now living in the US as a permanent resident, with no intention of becoming a US citizen as of now,, in case that's relevant. 

 

My questions is, if I were to receive German citizenship (for unrelated reasons, different story), is there an official way to update that with USCIS or DHS or whatever? At the time of me moving here, I registered as only Chilean, which was truthful at the time, but I would hate to break some rule or find myself doing something wrong without meaning to, if now I were to have two nationalities and one isn't on the records here. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, pantonia said:

Hi, I'm not sure where this post should go, so please feel free to redirect me!

 

So, I'm a Chilean citizen, now living in the US as a permanent resident, with no intention of becoming a US citizen as of now,, in case that's relevant. 

 

My questions is, if I were to receive German citizenship (for unrelated reasons, different story), is there an official way to update that with USCIS or DHS or whatever? At the time of me moving here, I registered as only Chilean, which was truthful at the time, but I would hate to break some rule or find myself doing something wrong without meaning to, if now I were to have two nationalities and one isn't on the records here. 

 

I am unaware of any process to “register” nationality in the US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, pantonia said:

Hi, I'm not sure where this post should go, so please feel free to redirect me!

 

So, I'm a Chilean citizen, now living in the US as a permanent resident, with no intention of becoming a US citizen as of now,, in case that's relevant. 

 

My questions is, if I were to receive German citizenship (for unrelated reasons, different story), is there an official way to update that with USCIS or DHS or whatever? At the time of me moving here, I registered as only Chilean, which was truthful at the time, but I would hate to break some rule or find myself doing something wrong without meaning to, if now I were to have two nationalities and one isn't on the records here. 

 

The US does not care at all so go ahead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once you have German citizenship and aquire US citizenship you'll lose German citizenship unless you apply to keep it beforehand. Good luck. 


Spoiler

2011-10-31 US Entry with CR1
2013-09-02 ROC filed
2013-09-12 NOA
2013-03-05 Biometrics
2013-03-24 Approved
2013-05-05 Green card received
2016-08-02 N400 filed
2016-08-12 NOA
2016-12-08 Biometrics
2017-05-04 Interview
2017-07-05 Oath Ceremony

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nitas_man said:

I am unaware of any process to “register” nationality in the US.

I thought so too. I'm just scared that somehow they'll find out and think I was trying to hide it or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

The US does not care at all so go ahead. 

I just worried because when you enter the US from a trip, they request your passport to stamp it, even if you show your green card. So far I always show my chilean passport, because that's what I use to travel internationally. But if I come back from a trip to Europe I'll have to show my German passport at my POE and then they'll be like "what the h*ck is this german passport, we have you as chilean in our systems". Or is this all in my scared, paranoid head?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, pantonia said:

I just worried because when you enter the US from a trip, they request your passport to stamp it, even if you show your green card. So far I always show my chilean passport, because that's what I use to travel internationally. But if I come back from a trip to Europe I'll have to show my German passport at my POE and then they'll be like "what the h*ck is this german passport, we have you as chilean in our systems". Or is this all in my scared, paranoid head?

I do think you are being alittle paranoid to be honest. As long as you have your valid passport and greencard you will be fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pantonia said:

I just worried because when you enter the US from a trip, they request your passport to stamp it, even if you show your green card. So far I always show my chilean passport, because that's what I use to travel internationally. But if I come back from a trip to Europe I'll have to show my German passport at my POE and then they'll be like "what the h*ck is this german passport, we have you as chilean in our systems". Or is this all in my scared, paranoid head?

This won't be a problem. You're not the only dual citizen. The German passport gives you privileges like ESTA so you will want to use it :) Just remember to apply for Beibehaltung (permission to keep) if you apply for US citizenship. 


Spoiler

2011-10-31 US Entry with CR1
2013-09-02 ROC filed
2013-09-12 NOA
2013-03-05 Biometrics
2013-03-24 Approved
2013-05-05 Green card received
2016-08-02 N400 filed
2016-08-12 NOA
2016-12-08 Biometrics
2017-05-04 Interview
2017-07-05 Oath Ceremony

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, pantonia said:

I just worried because when you enter the US from a trip, they request your passport to stamp it, even if you show your green card. So far I always show my chilean passport, because that's what I use to travel internationally. But if I come back from a trip to Europe I'll have to show my German passport at my POE and then they'll be like "what the h*ck is this german passport, we have you as chilean in our systems". Or is this all in my scared, paranoid head?

Are you giving up Chilean citizenship?  My kids fly in and out of wifey’s home country on their foreign passports and enter/exit the US on their US passports.  Never had a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, little immigrant said:

This won't be a problem. You're not the only dual citizen. The German passport gives you privileges like ESTA so you will want to use it :) Just remember to apply for Beibehaltung (permission to keep) if you apply for US citizenship. 

yay thanks! I know I was being probably paranoid, but man there's so many pitfalls and loopholes and all kinds of crazy stuff that happens when dealing with USCIS and immigration, that I just wanted to make sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

I do think you are being alittle paranoid to be honest. As long as you have your valid passport and greencard you will be fine. 

Thank you! yeah, I tend to overthink it when it comes to USCIS and immigration. It's all so complicated and full of nasty surprises that I'm always scared that I'll do something wrong without knowing! I'll try to relax now about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, pantonia said:

Thank you! yeah, I tend to overthink it when it comes to USCIS and immigration. It's all so complicated and full of nasty surprises that I'm always scared that I'll do something wrong without knowing! I'll try to relax now about it.

Did you check to see if Germany will allow dual citizenship?

Edited by Cyberfx1024

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Did you check to see if Germany will allow dual citizenship?

Generally they do but you will have to apply for "Beibehaltungsgenehmigung" permission to keep your German citizenship when naturalizing as a citizen of a different country.

 

I decided against it and let my German citizenship go by the way.


Spoiler

2011-10-31 US Entry with CR1
2013-09-02 ROC filed
2013-09-12 NOA
2013-03-05 Biometrics
2013-03-24 Approved
2013-05-05 Green card received
2016-08-02 N400 filed
2016-08-12 NOA
2016-12-08 Biometrics
2017-05-04 Interview
2017-07-05 Oath Ceremony

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×