pantonia

Notify USCIS of new foreign citizenship?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

Hi, I'm not sure where this post should go, so please feel free to redirect me!

So, I'm a Chilean citizen, now living in the US as a permanent resident, with no intention of becoming a US citizen as of now,, in case that's relevant. 

My questions is, if I were to receive German citizenship (for unrelated reasons, different story), is there an official way to update that with USCIS or DHS or whatever? At the time of me moving here, I registered as only Chilean, which was truthful at the time, but I would hate to break some rule or find myself doing something wrong without meaning to, if now I were to have two nationalities and one isn't on the records here. 

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
8 minutes ago, pantonia said:

So, I'm a Chilean citizen, now living in the US as a permanent resident, with no intention of becoming a US citizen as of now,, in case that's relevant. 

My questions is, if I were to receive German citizenship (for unrelated reasons, different story), is there an official way to update that with USCIS or DHS or whatever? At the time of me moving here, I registered as only Chilean, which was truthful at the time, but I would hate to break some rule or find myself doing something wrong without meaning to, if now I were to have two nationalities and one isn't on the records here. 

I am unaware of any process to “register” nationality in the US.

35 minutes ago, pantonia said:

The US does not care at all so go ahead. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Nitas_man said:

I am unaware of any process to “register” nationality in the US.

I thought so too. I'm just scared that somehow they'll find out and think I was trying to hide it or something.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

The US does not care at all so go ahead. 

I just worried because when you enter the US from a trip, they request your passport to stamp it, even if you show your green card. So far I always show my chilean passport, because that's what I use to travel internationally. But if I come back from a trip to Europe I'll have to show my German passport at my POE and then they'll be like "what the h*ck is this german passport, we have you as chilean in our systems". Or is this all in my scared, paranoid head?

35 minutes ago, pantonia said:

I just worried because when you enter the US from a trip, they request your passport to stamp it, even if you show your green card. So far I always show my chilean passport, because that's what I use to travel internationally. But if I come back from a trip to Europe I'll have to show my German passport at my POE and then they'll be like "what the h*ck is this german passport, we have you as chilean in our systems". Or is this all in my scared, paranoid head?

I do think you are being alittle paranoid to be honest. As long as you have your valid passport and greencard you will be fine. 

2 hours ago, pantonia said:

This won't be a problem. You're not the only dual citizen. The German passport gives you privileges like ESTA so you will want to use it :) Just remember to apply for Beibehaltung (permission to keep) if you apply for US citizenship. 

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
10 hours ago, pantonia said:

Are you giving up Chilean citizenship?  My kids fly in and out of wifey’s home country on their foreign passports and enter/exit the US on their US passports.  Never had a problem.

Timeline
10 hours ago, little immigrant said:

This won't be a problem. You're not the only dual citizen. The German passport gives you privileges like ESTA so you will want to use it :) Just remember to apply for Beibehaltung (permission to keep) if you apply for US citizenship. 

yay thanks! I know I was being probably paranoid, but man there's so many pitfalls and loopholes and all kinds of crazy stuff that happens when dealing with USCIS and immigration, that I just wanted to make sure.

Timeline
12 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

I do think you are being alittle paranoid to be honest. As long as you have your valid passport and greencard you will be fine. 

Thank you! yeah, I tend to overthink it when it comes to USCIS and immigration. It's all so complicated and full of nasty surprises that I'm always scared that I'll do something wrong without knowing! I'll try to relax now about it.

6 minutes ago, pantonia said:

Thank you! yeah, I tend to overthink it when it comes to USCIS and immigration. It's all so complicated and full of nasty surprises that I'm always scared that I'll do something wrong without knowing! I'll try to relax now about it.

Did you check to see if Germany will allow dual citizenship?

Edited by Cyberfx1024

18 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Did you check to see if Germany will allow dual citizenship?

Generally they do but you will have to apply for "Beibehaltungsgenehmigung" permission to keep your German citizenship when naturalizing as a citizen of a different country.

I decided against it and let my German citizenship go by the way.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.