Eric The Wait

I-751. Best shipping option. Will USCIS sign for it?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I would welcome practical tips for physical delivery of the 1-751 Removal of Conditions form, checks and supporting documentation. 

This is a joint submittal. My wife's 2 year green card expires on 2/16/19. I will mail the I-751 with 2 checks for $595.00 filing fee and $85.00 Biomagnetic charge, and our pile of documentation, on Jan 7th. (Copying all the documents this weekend.)

Foolishly, I have left no room for error.

I read that Lockbox facilities have private contractors handling the mail and with government shutdown the contractors may not be working. Someone suggested I use the UPS address which is not a P.O. Box. I am going to follow that very sound advice.

I am concerned about proving the I-751 is received before the 2/16/19 deadline. I have read that checks at Texas Service Center may not be cashed for 6 weeks or more and the Extension Letter and/or NOA letter with case number may take even longer. Therefore, I may be looking at not knowing if USCIS has our I751 Petition until AFTER the deadline expires. 

1. Will USCIS sign for a I-751 submittal, or at least sign for receipt of the package? (I believe UPS has a service where you can request the recipient sign, but am not sure USCIS will sign).

2. Does anyone have any other tips which we could use to argue that we filed the i-751 timely? 

3. Any tips on ways to get receipt notification from USCIS beyond waiting for cashing the $595.00 Filing fee check and the $85.00 BioMagnetic check?

Thanks. I know this topic is pedestrian, but I always find people on this forum think of things I haven't or help me avoid screwing things up.

i-751 Sent 1/7/19
i-751 Received 1/9/19
Check Cashed 1/14/19
(G-1145 Email Receipt of case #: Never Received)
1/15/19: Called USCIS and given EAC Case Number

@Eric The Wait Hi, when dealing with USCIS I usually use FedEx with cheapest rate available and they deliver on the 3rd business day. Once the letter is delivered - it says "delivered" and the name of person who accepted it. 

ROC

12/11/2018 - I-751 mailed (requested a fee waiver) to Lewisville, TX via FedEx

12/13/2018 - package delivered 

01/02/2019 - received text message from USCIS with case number starting with EAC

01/12/2019 - submitted online e-Request for non-delivery of NOA (the extension letter)

01/24/2019 - received the response to e-Request via e-mail, which says: "Please allow 30 days from the date of this correspondence for the notice to be sent".

01/28/2019 - received NOA (the extension letter), which extends GC for 18 months

01/29/2019 - received biometrics appointment letter

02/08/2019 - biometrics completed

Timeline

Thanks so much Kiolas. I super appreciate you taking the time to help me. Great stuff to know. I didn't realize that USCIS will sign for letters / packages. 

i-751 Sent 1/7/19
i-751 Received 1/9/19
Check Cashed 1/14/19

Timeline
1 hour ago, Kiolas said:

@Eric The Wait Hi, when dealing with USCIS I usually use FedEx with cheapest rate available and they deliver on the 3rd business day. Once the letter is delivered - it says "delivered" and the name of person who accepted it. 

Hi Kiolas:

Quick follow up question: When using Fed-Ex to Lewisville address should I include the G-1145 to get a text message alert of receipt or does the G-1145 not apply for a Fed-Ex delivery to that location? (Instructions for G-1145 say it is for LockBox facilities only.)

Thanks.

i-751 Sent 1/7/19
i-751 Received 1/9/19
Check Cashed 1/14/19

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
49 minutes ago, Eric The Wait said:

Hi Kiolas:

Quick follow up question: When using Fed-Ex to Lewisville address should I include the G-1145 to get a text message alert of receipt or does the G-1145 not apply for a Fed-Ex delivery to that location? (Instructions for G-1145 say it is for LockBox facilities only.)

Thanks.

A lockbox is different than a PO Box. Lewisville is a lockbox facility and your G-1145 will work if you send by FedEx or USPS. 

My personal opinion - USPS is cheaper but FedEx is more reliable. 

Good luck!

4 hours ago, Eric The Wait said:

I would welcome practical tips for physical delivery of the 1-751 Removal of Conditions form, checks and supporting documentation. 

This is a joint submittal. My wife's 2 year green card expires on 2/16/19. I will mail the I-751 with 2 checks for $595.00 filing fee and $85.00 Biomagnetic charge, and our pile of documentation, on Jan 7th. (Copying all the documents this weekend.)

Foolishly, I have left no room for error.

I read that Lockbox facilities have private contractors handling the mail and with government shutdown the contractors may not be working. Someone suggested I use the UPS address which is not a P.O. Box. I am going to follow that very sound advice.

I am concerned about proving the I-751 is received before the 2/16/19 deadline. I have read that checks at Texas Service Center may not be cashed for 6 weeks or more and the Extension Letter and/or NOA letter with case number may take even longer. Therefore, I may be looking at not knowing if USCIS has our I751 Petition until AFTER the deadline expires. 

1. Will USCIS sign for a I-751 submittal, or at least sign for receipt of the package? (I believe UPS has a service where you can request the recipient sign, but am not sure USCIS will sign).

2. Does anyone have any other tips which we could use to argue that we filed the i-751 timely? 

3. Any tips on ways to get receipt notification from USCIS beyond waiting for cashing the $595.00 Filing fee check and the $85.00 BioMagnetic check?

Thanks. I know this topic is pedestrian, but I always find people on this forum think of things I haven't or help me avoid screwing things up.

Are you sure on sending two checks? I am not sure either for I-751, but I remember sending one single check for AOS. You might want to double check that one.

2 hours ago, Eric The Wait said:

Hi Kiolas:

Thanks.

@Eric The Wait I actually just sent I-751 to Lewisville a few weeks ago, using FedEx Express Saver (did not pay for signature option upon delivery, yet they still sign; also I never send anything in a box but use their large pack or huge envelope - to get the cheapest rate, this time it was only $10.50).

Yes, you should include G-1145 to receive text message/email for your case number. 

The "delivered" and name of person who accepted the package will appear on FedEx web-site when you check the tracking number. 

ROC

12/11/2018 - I-751 mailed (requested a fee waiver) to Lewisville, TX via FedEx

12/13/2018 - package delivered 

01/02/2019 - received text message from USCIS with case number starting with EAC

01/12/2019 - submitted online e-Request for non-delivery of NOA (the extension letter)

01/24/2019 - received the response to e-Request via e-mail, which says: "Please allow 30 days from the date of this correspondence for the notice to be sent".

01/28/2019 - received NOA (the extension letter), which extends GC for 18 months

01/29/2019 - received biometrics appointment letter

02/08/2019 - biometrics completed

Timeline
6 hours ago, Kiolas said:

@Eric The Wait I actually just sent I-751 to Lewisville a few weeks ago, using FedEx Express Saver (did not pay for signature option upon delivery, yet they still sign; also I never send anything in a box but use their large pack or huge envelope - to get the cheapest rate, this time it was only $10.50).

Yes, you should include G-1145 to receive text message/email for your case number. 

The "delivered" and name of person who accepted the package will appear on FedEx web-site when you check the tracking number. 

Hello Kiolas:

Thanks very much for this super helpful info!!! My wife Gae Ryean thanks you as well. 

i-751 Sent 1/7/19
i-751 Received 1/9/19
Check Cashed 1/14/19

Timeline
6 hours ago, TheKingmaker said:

Are you sure on sending two checks? I am not sure either for I-751, but I remember sending one single check for AOS. You might want to double check that one.

I checked and could not find an answer for this. It's either two checks $595.00 Filing fee and $85.00 Biomechanics or one check for (oh no Math!!!) $680.00. 

Something tells me it doesn't matter, as long as one or two checks are in the right amount and made payable to "U.S. Department of Homeland Security".

I think I'll send one check. Less chance two screw something up.  :-)

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. 

i-751 Sent 1/7/19
i-751 Received 1/9/19
Check Cashed 1/14/19

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
15 hours ago, Eric The Wait said:

Only need to submit one check for $680.

It's my understanding that Lewisville is a Lockbox facility (it is not the Texas Service Center) so the same "contracted" people are handling incoming documents regardless of sending it there directly or to the PO Box.  Texas Service Center does not cash the checks.  The Lockbox facility does that.

Timeline
16 hours ago, gregcrs2 said:

Only need to submit one check for $680.

It's my understanding that Lewisville is a Lockbox facility (it is not the Texas Service Center) so the same "contracted" people are handling incoming documents regardless of sending it there directly or to the PO Box.  Texas Service Center does not cash the checks.  The Lockbox facility does that.

Thanks Gregcrs2. 

Looks like the shutdown is not impacting incoming ROC applications based on your info.

Thanks so much for clearing up for me what "Lockbox" means and your other valuable advice. My wife and I eally appreciate you taking the time to help us get a grip on this.

i-751 Sent 1/7/19
i-751 Received 1/9/19
Check Cashed 1/14/19

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.