Shodan's Faery

Still no SSN in mail after 6 weeks

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

Hi, my husband arrived on 11/22/18 - we are CR1. On the DS-260 we did check that he would like to apply for a SSN. On his papers it directly states to contact the SSA if his card doesn’t arrive within 3 weeks of arrival. 3 weeks passed so we called the SSA - they said the wait has turned to 6 weeks. Today marks the 6th week and we still have not received his SSN in the mail.

We plan on calling again today but I’m afraid that they’ll up the waiting time even longer. We wanted to avoid the SSA office but if that’s the only way to expedite the process we will go. Is this a normal waiting time after applying for it with the DS-260? Would it be any faster if we just go to the office? His green card came immediately - around 2 weeks after arrival.

1 hour ago, Shodan's Faery said:

Hi, my husband arrived on 11/22/18 - we are CR1. On the DS-260 we did check that he would like to apply for a SSN. On his papers it directly states to contact the SSA if his card doesn’t arrive within 3 weeks of arrival. 3 weeks passed so we called the SSA - they said the wait has turned to 6 weeks. Today marks the 6th week and we still have not received his SSN in the mail.

We plan on calling again today but I’m afraid that they’ll up the waiting time even longer. We wanted to avoid the SSA office but if that’s the only way to expedite the process we will go. Is this a normal waiting time after applying for it with the DS-260? Would it be any faster if we just go to the office? His green card came immediately - around 2 weeks after arrival.

I'd say that a wee bit long. My mom entered 11/11/18. I called the local SSA office at the 3 week mark, got the same answer you did ( it's at least 4-6 weeks, it's the holiday, so may be even longer). So sometimes on the 4th week, we went to the local SSA office. They were able to tell her that her SSN was just issue like the day before, and they told her what the number was. The physical card came in the mail few days later. We got everything before 12/10 because I was able to apply for her health insurance through healthcare.gov before 12/15 when it closed.

I'd say you guys need to make a trip to the local SSA office.

The DS-260 works most of the time. But there have been reports that cases fell through the crack and need to apply again at the local SSA office. Don't ask me why.

Edited by USS_Voyager

Filed: Other Country: Mexico
Timeline
1 hour ago, Shodan's Faery said:

I have a question for you, when your husband went to his interview did he took his paystub to show he was working?

i'm wondering because my attorney is requesting paystub from him to show that he is also working and dont know if that makes sense 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

all you actually need is to go to the SSA and ask for the number, it will eventually show up in the mail.

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline
7 hours ago, Shodan's Faery said:

We are experiencing the same thing, unfortunately. I just got off the phone with SSA (what a nightmare-- 2 hours on hold!) and got basically nowhere. The rep told me that 6-8 weeks is realistic with all the holidays and the govt. shutdown. 

Met for the first time: 7/2015 (Italy) 

Married: 12/20/2017 (California) :luv:

I-130 petition sent to AZ lockbox: 1/29/2018

I-130 received at AZ lockbox: 1/31/2018

Text/Email update: 2/6/2018 

• Texas Service Center 

NOA1 hard copy: 2/10/2018

• Receipt Date: 2/5/2018

I-130 APPROVED: 8/1/2018

Sent to US Dept. of State: 8/6/2018

Dept. of State Received: 8/15/2018

NVC Welcome Email: 9/4/2018 (around 20:30 California time)

• Paid IV and AOS Fees: 9/4/2018

Completed and Submitted AOS Documents: 9/14/2018

Submitted everything to NVC: 9/16/2018

NVC Case Completed: 10/2/2018 

• Received approval for all AOS and IV documents BUT had to rotate and re-upload husband's passport biographic info page: 9/20/2018

Interview: 11/13/2018 (Naples, Italy)

🇺🇸 APPROVED! 🇺🇸

Immigration day: 12/13/2018

• Point Of Entry: SFO

Timeline

Update: we went to the SSA office and waited over 2 hours. They looked up my husband’s name and there was no record of an application, so, USCIS never sent his SSN application over. We had been waiting 8 weeks. If we didn’t go to the office, we never would have received anything in the mail.

We brought his green card and passport, and this helpful woman working there applied for us and said it should arrive by mail in about two weeks. For anyone else experiencing the same delays, don’t wait, go to the office ASAP and find out what’s going on. Be prepared for a long “waiting in the Netherworld like Beetlejuice” wait.

Timeline

Update: we received his SSN in the mail this past Saturday! That was really fast. The printing date on the card itself said 1/08/19. That was the same day we went to the SSN office. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.