LiddiaJ

Multiple Joint Sponsors

5 posts in this topic

Hi again,

While the need to provide the Affidavit of Support is still a ways off I hope to have all my ducks in a row for when the time comes to avoid any panic/anxiety attacks lol.

My situation is this... my husband is living here in Australia with me and has been for the past 12 years. Obviously, he will unable to be my sponsor due to a lack of income. There is the possibility he will be employed before any approval I receive, but being a teacher the likelihood of him actually starting a job before August is virtually nil (stranger things have happened)

His mother is willing to be a joint sponsor, however, her salary alone is not enough to cover what will be a household of 5. As a result his step-dad's income will need to be included as well. So, my question is this: will my father - in - law have to fill in a separate I-864 ? And if so should all 3 forms be submitted at the same time rather than waiting for them to request further evidence?

Thanks in advance :)

It has just occurred to me that I don't actually know how much my father - in - law earns. His income alone might be enough to sponsor me. However, on the off chance that it is not, the above questions still stand . Thanks :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

your husband is and always be the primary sponsor so he will have to fill out an i864 affidavit of support regardless

his mom will be his joint sponsor and will file the i864 and her husband as her household member will fill out the i864A to combine their income, as they are married and living in the same house.

they will need to find out if they make enough to cover themselves, their family, and you as the beneficiary

if they don't make enough, they can use assets to supplement the difference

or find another joint sponsor all together and forget about his mom, two joint sponsors can't combine their incomes, only a joint sponsor and their household member can

Edited by aleful

13 minutes ago, aleful said:

hi

your husband is and always be the primary sponsor so he will have to fill out an i864 affidavit of support regardless

his mom will be his joint sponsor and will file the i864 and her husband as her household member will fill out the i864A to combine their income, as they are married and living in the same house.

they will need to find out if they make enough to cover themselves, their family, and you as the beneficiary

if they don't make enough, they can use assets to supplement the difference

or find another joint sponsor all together and forget about his mom, two joint sponsors can't combine their incomes, only a joint sponsor and their household member can

Thank you for your response.  Yes I am aware that my husband will need to be main sponsor, I didn't word that very well. Together his parents will definitely have enough. There is a chance my FIL would earn enough on his own, I need to find that info out. Appreciate your input :)

Edited by LiddiaJ

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
5 hours ago, LiddiaJ said:

Thank you for your response.  Yes I am aware that my husband will need to be main sponsor, I didn't word that very well. Together his parents will definitely have enough. There is a chance my FIL would earn enough on his own, I need to find that info out. Appreciate your input :)

You can reverse who does the I-864 and I-864a.  I would do that if the FIL earns more.  However, it is still best practice to have the joint sponsor's spouse provide and sign an I-864a.  Study those form instructions.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.