nikki1992

Affidavit of support and evidence of bona fide marriage

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi everyone,

We're almost ready to submit our AOS documents (adjusting from K1) but I have a few questions.

For the affidavit of support, does my husband need to show evidence of meeting the 125% above poverty line requirement for all of the last 3 years or is only the last tax year what counts? In 2017 he earned well over the requirement however, the 2 years before that he was in grad school and therefore his earnings were significantly less since he was only working for part of the year (lower than the requirement). For 2018 he has met the requirement also, however since he hasn't filed his tax return yet we don't have that evidence. He also recently got a new job earning quite a bit more than he does now (starting on Dec 26th) so we have included a copy of his offer letter showing his new salary as evidence of future financial support. Is it okay that the tax returns for 2015 and 2016 are lower than the requirement as long as the most recent tax return meets the requirement?

My other question is whether we need to provide any evidence of a bona fide marriage with the initial application or take it with us to the interview instead? I can't see anything in the instructions that mention it so I'm assuming we don't need to send anything at this point?

12 minutes ago, nikki1992 said:

Hi everyone,

We're almost ready to submit our AOS documents (adjusting from K1) but I have a few questions.

For the affidavit of support, does my husband need to show evidence of meeting the 125% above poverty line requirement for all of the last 3 years or is only the last tax year what counts? In 2017 he earned well over the requirement however, the 2 years before that he was in grad school and therefore his earnings were significantly less since he was only working for part of the year (lower than the requirement). For 2018 he has met the requirement also, however since he hasn't filed his tax return yet we don't have that evidence. He also recently got a new job earning quite a bit more than he does now (starting on Dec 26th) so we have included a copy of his offer letter showing his new salary as evidence of future financial support. Is it okay that the tax returns for 2015 and 2016 are lower than the requirement as long as the most recent tax return meets the requirement?

My other question is whether we need to provide any evidence of a bona fide marriage with the initial application or take it with us to the interview instead? I can't see anything in the instructions that mention it so I'm assuming we don't need to send anything at this point?

He only has to meet the 125% with his current income (current employment letter and current paystubs). Only the most recent year of taxes reporting income is required. The other 2 years are optional and are used to prove stability. You should be fine with his 2017 ITR, new employment letter and current paystubs from his last job (they should show his year to date gross earnings right?) if they show he has earned above the 125% at the moment you submit AOS.

The only evidence you need to submit to prove bonafide marriage with AOS is a photocopy of your MC. Everything else you bring to the interview.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Timeline
11 minutes ago, nikki1992 said:

Hi everyone,

Yes he need to provide the three years tax return and also it's necessary to provide evidence of your bona fide marriage in order to support your claim on that marriage.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
12 minutes ago, nikki1992 said:

Hi everyone,

Not three years above. Current job above 125% is requirement. Skip including 2015-16.

Send 2017 tax return PLUS the W2 (or a 2017 transcript plus nothing else) because required.

Include offer letter because it's helpful information concerning his current earnings.

i was approved for AOS with nothing but a photocopy of the marriage certificate as proof of marriage. No interview. But get some joint stuff and keep it ready for an interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.