FOSSLGRL

A couple questions about AOS interview...

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just getting all my documents in order for my interview on the 18th.

I am wondering, however, do they keep any of the originals?

I am concerned about my AP document. I will be traveling to Canada on the 26th and I am concerned that if my GC doesn't come in time, and they have kept my AP then I have to cancel my Christmas travel plans.

Also, how do they mail the GC? Is it regular USPS or courier? The thought of my GC sitting on my step or in my mailbox when I am out of the country makes me very nervous. I will have USPS hold my mail if I need to.

Of course the best case scenario will be that I receive the GC before my trip and then I won't have any of these worries... but I am not going to count on it.

Edited by FOSSLGRL

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 minutes ago, FOSSLGRL said:

Just getting all my documents in order for my interview on the 18th.

I am concerned about my AP document. I will be traveling to Canada on the 26th and I am concerned that if my GC doesn't come in time, and they have kept my AP then I have to cancel my Christmas travel plans.

Also, how do they mail the GC? Is it regular USPS or courier? The thought of my GC sitting on my step or in my mailbox when I am out of the country makes me very nervous. I will have USPS hold my mail if I need to.

Of course the best case scenario will be that I receive the GC before my trip and then I won't have any of these worries... but I am not going to count on it.

Can't answer all of your questions myself, we did not deal with the interview, but as to original documents, don't expect to get them back. Always have duplicates in case.

The AP you should keep even after the interview. Once you get the GC you still keep the AP/EAD cards. They don't ask for them back that I am aware of.

And they mail the GC by regular USPS mail.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, Ben&Zian said:

Can't answer all of your questions myself, we did not deal with the interview, but as to original documents, don't expect to get them back. Always have duplicates in case.

The AP you should keep even after the interview. Once you get the GC you still keep the AP/EAD cards. They don't ask for them back that I am aware of.

And they mail the GC by regular USPS mail.

Thank you!

My experience is that they don't keep any originals. You keep your AP. They don't even want it back after you have the GC. I still have my own AP card in 2012!

The GC came by regular USPS mail. My GC came while I was out of the US. I did had my mail held at USPS location and I picked it up after I came back.

If you GC is approved while you're not in the US, they will know at the border when you come back. That's what happened to me. The CBP guy asked me where my GC was and why I didn't use it to enter. I just simply said it was recently issued and probably in the pile of mail waiting for me. No issues.

All of this was around 2012-2013.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
9 hours ago, FOSSLGRL said:

On my invitation letter it says: 

Original and copy of each supporting document that you submitted with your application.  Otherwise, we may keep your originals for our records.

While the language, strictly speaking, only refers to the documents from the original I-485 application I'd assume the same principle applies for any additional documents presented at the interview.  If you bring copies they will keep the copies.  If you fail to bring copies they might keep the original documents. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Regarding your mailing question - I signed up for informed delivery with USPS. I had my interview on the 4th December and my card arrived December 11th.  Once my card was mailed I could track it. It came in a priority mail envelope and arrived two days earlier than expected. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.