Jump to content
Bill & Katya

Denmark plans to send "unwanted" migrants to remote island

9 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I think Australia does something similar.

 

Dec 5, 2018 6:36 PM EST World

By Christopher Brito / CBS News

 

The Danish government has come up with a plan to send dozens of rejected migrants to a remote island that currently houses a research center conducting tests on diseased animals.

Denmark's center-right government and right-wing Danish People's Party reached an agreement under its new finance bill for 2019  to decontaminate Lindholm Island – located around two miles from the nearest shore — and then use it hold as many as 100 people by 2021, according to a government website. Among the migrants who could be sent to the island are criminals, rejected asylum seekers and others who can't return to their home country "due to the risk of ill-treatment."

 

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/denmark-migrants-lindholm-island-danish-peoples-party-inger-stjberg/


Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw this in the UK media a few weeks back, makes a lot of sense.


“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

I think Australia does something similar.

 

Dec 5, 2018 6:36 PM EST World

By Christopher Brito / CBS News

 

The Danish government has come up with a plan to send dozens of rejected migrants to a remote island that currently houses a research center conducting tests on diseased animals.

Denmark's center-right government and right-wing Danish People's Party reached an agreement under its new finance bill for 2019  to decontaminate Lindholm Island – located around two miles from the nearest shore — and then use it hold as many as 100 people by 2021, according to a government website. Among the migrants who could be sent to the island are criminals, rejected asylum seekers and others who can't return to their home country "due to the risk of ill-treatment."

 

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/denmark-migrants-lindholm-island-danish-peoples-party-inger-stjberg/

I was going to say "I thought this was what Australia was". It was with criminals though. Or is that just an urban myth? I've never actually bothered to learn the history of Australia. I believe there is some truth in it.

 

Wouldn't those in bold be asylum seekers? If there is a risk of "ill-treatment" in their home country, wouldn't that qualify for asylum? I guess it depends on how you define "ill-treatment". Seems a little crazy to say "Well you aren't an asylum seeker, but we agree it probably isn't safe for you to return home".

Edited by bcking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bcking said:

I was going to say "I thought this was what Australia was". It was with criminals though. Or is that just an urban myth? I've never actually bothered to learn the history of Australia. I believe there is some truth in it.

 

Wouldn't those in bold be asylum seekers? If there is a risk of "ill-treatment" in their home country, wouldn't that qualify for asylum? I guess it depends on how you define "ill-treatment". Seems a little crazy to say "Well you aren't an asylum seeker, but we agree it probably isn't safe for you to return home".

I believe the UK actually sent criminals to the American colonies first, then of course after the American Revolution the UK had to find somewhere else.  I don't think the whole of Australia was one big prison colony, but the UK certainly sent several criminals there.

 

As to my comment, I believe the Australian government runs several immigration detainment centers some of them on very remote islands, but some of them also on the mainland, so it is not entirely the same thing.


Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Australia keeps their migrants offshore for processing, seems to have cut down deaths at sea dramatically.


“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bcking said:

I was going to say "I thought this was what Australia was". It was with criminals though. Or is that just an urban myth? I've never actually bothered to learn the history of Australia. I believe there is some truth in it.

 

Wouldn't those in bold be asylum seekers? If there is a risk of "ill-treatment" in their home country, wouldn't that qualify for asylum? I guess it depends on how you define "ill-treatment". Seems a little crazy to say "Well you aren't an asylum seeker, but we agree it probably isn't safe for you to return home".

Well if it's like it is in Sweden it's kind of like this: The immigration office has decided that going home would not pose a threat to their well being but the asylum seekers claim there is and if immigration still sends them home there's public outrage and they just decide not to do it anyway...  






Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

I believe the UK actually sent criminals to the American colonies first, then of course after the American Revolution the UK had to find somewhere else.  I don't think the whole of Australia was one big prison colony, but the UK certainly sent several criminals there.

 

As to my comment, I believe the Australian government runs several immigration detainment centers some of them on very remote islands, but some of them also on the mainland, so it is not entirely the same thing.

The state of Georgia was founded as a place to dump the people in Englands debtor prisons 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×