Jump to content

Trying to get my Chinese bf a tourist visa

6 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

My bf and I eventually plan to marry but before he decides to move here he'd like to visit. The last time he applied for a tourist visa he was working in Dubai and was denied. He now lives in New Zealand and is in a bachelor's program there. He makes above US minimum wage at his job, and has traveled to France without any overstay issues. I was wondering if anyone has any tips for getting him a tourist visa here (like me sponsoring him). I was also wondering, if we did go the fiance visa route and married while he was here, could he still go back to NZ to finish his school year and then come back? Thanks so much.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

HE has to obtain a tourist visa on his own merits. You can not do anything.


and if you marry while he is here, you would not file a K1. you would file a CR1.

Edited by debbiedoo

5/7/2018 K1       Application mailed

5/9/2018             Application rec'd and signed for (sent via fedex)

5/14/2018          NOA1 Email notification

5/18/2018          NOA1 Paper copy rec'd (i797C)

11/5/2018          NOA2 ❤️ no RFE's

11/19/2018        NVC Received file

12/13/2018        Consulate received/ ready to schedule interview


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If he is entering simply to marry you and then return to NZ for a while, he would enter on a tourist visa, not a fiancé visa. The latter is for those who plan to remain in the US after the marriage.

in your situation - he would enter on a tourist visa, marry you, return, you file cr1 petition, around a year later he would get an immigrant visa to join you.

if he can’t get a US tourist visa - you’d have to marry elsewhere, rest of process is the same.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites



there is nothing you can do, you can't sponsor him. he must apply based on his own merits


he has a slim to nothing chance because he must prove ties to his country. this is the third country he lives in, so he really hasn't any ties to any country


that means he could easily come here and overstay his tourist visa. that is the main problem,

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jaydes05 said:

Thanks you guys. What I'm wondering too is, is it possible for him to get a tourist Visa? Are there any tips?

Possible yes

Likelihood depends on his ability to prove ties to his place of residence. 


Tips.. be honest about purpose of visit at the interview. 

I-751 journey


10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

  xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.