Smashy

k1 filers - NOV-DEC 2018 NOA2-->Consulate.

628 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, EdmoAm said:

I'm so happy for everyone! (and I'm so sad for myself.)

I have to wait until the end of the week before being told what to do re: my Passports/Visas. 

The Consulate sent me an email today saying that if I report my passports as lost to Passport Canada, then I will have to start the entire visa process over again without compensation. I was strictly told to not do ANYTHING until I get told to do so, and to only work with them until told otherwise. 😞 

It sucks so bad being so helpless and being stuck in limbo. 

Omg I’m so sorry. I can’t believe that. How can they make you redo the whole entire process if it’s their fault?! Something has to be done, I can’t believe they would make you redo it. They better get back to you ASAP. :( 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, EdmoAm said:

I have to wait until the end of the week before being told what to do re: my Passports/Visas. 

The Consulate sent me an email today saying that if I report my passports as lost to Passport Canada, then I will have to start the entire visa process over again without compensation. I was strictly told to not do ANYTHING until I get told to do so, and to only work with them until told otherwise. 😞 

Meaning you will have to start from doing the I-129F from the very beginning and paying all the fee's and stuff again? Surely something has to be done. That doesn't sound legal. Should sue Canada post some how for your loss. They lost incredibly fragile documents about you and your children that is probably one of the most serious cases ever. If they end up in the wrong hands who knows what could happen.... -_-

Timeline
12 hours ago, EdmoAm said:

Wow I truly hope that won’t be the case for you!!! Sending all positivity your way as I’m sure you are feeling very stressed at this point. I hope they fast a fast solution for you and your family<3

Timeline

I was successfully imported on Sunday. I’ll echo sentiments that it was the easiest part of the process (needing to activate my K1 actually put me in a shorter customs line at Pearson haha). Answered a couple questions (mainly relating to my cat) for the first border agent before being taken to secondary. No wait, a couple more questions (where we met, what I do for work, confirming I know the visa is single entry) and I was on my way. 

Off to the courthouse today :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, d24v said:

I was successfully imported on Sunday. I’ll echo sentiments that it was the easiest part of the process (needing to activate my K1 actually put me in a shorter customs line at Pearson haha). Answered a couple questions (mainly relating to my cat) for the first border agent before being taken to secondary. No wait, a couple more questions (where we met, what I do for work, confirming I know the visa is single entry) and I was on my way. 

Off to the courthouse today :)

What kind of questions did they ask about your cat? Did you need to provide any paperwork? 
When I finally get my stuff and am able to move, I will be bringing my 2 cats along with me. 
From what I've read on the CBS websites, cats don't require proof of shots or anything as long as they appear in good health. 

K1 & K2:
I129f Sent: March 23, 2018

NOA1: March 29, 2018
RFE: September 29, 2018
RFE reply: October 12, 2018 (Re-sent USC birth certificate and beneficiary's divorce certificate)
NOA2: November 03, 2018 (219 days from NOA1)
NVC Received: November 23, 2018 (20 days from NOA2)

NVC Case Number: December 07, 2018 (14 days from NVC received)
NVC Left: December 26, 2018 (19 days from NVC case number)
Consulate Received: December 31, 2018 (5 days from NVC left)
CEAC status 'Ready': January 7, 2019 (7 days from consulate received)
P3 Sent: January 14, 2019 (7 days from 'Ready')
P4 Received: February 1, 2019 (18 days from P3 sent)
Interview: March 13, 2019- APPROVED! (40 days from P4; 349 days from NOA1)
Visa in Hand: June 3, 2019 (82 days since interview)

(Guaranteed delivery date March 21, 2019- Canada Post "lost" my package)
                               Passports/Visas officially declared "lost": April 15, 2019 (33 days since interview)
                               Reapply for new passports: April 16, 2019 (34 days since interview)

Received New Passports: April 29, 2019 (47 days since interview)
                               New Passports Delivered to Consulate: May 2, 2019 (50 days since interview)
                               USC Contacted State Senator to request inquiry: May 23, 2019 (71 days since interview)

POE: June 20, 2019
Marriage: August 13, 2019

AOS

I-485, I-765, I-131 Sent: September 9, 2019
I-485, I-765, I-131 NOA1: September 16, 2019
I-485, I-165 Biometrics: October 10, 2019
I-485 Case update- ready to be scheduled for interview : November 8, 2019

I-485 Case update- Interview has been scheduled: November 13, 2019 (Dallas, Tx)
Interview:

event.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

This is the email I sent to the Consulate yesterday, after hearing from Canada Post: 

"I have just received an update from Canada Post. 
They are still unable to locate my shipment, and are writing a letter confirming the shipment as lost. I will forward it as soon as I receive it. 
In the meantime, I was told to contact Passport Canada to report our passports as lost, and work on getting new passports. 
What are the next steps where the visas are involved?"

This is the response I received back from the Consulate: 
(I assume it means business days. So 10 business days from the time I received their first email saying they are investigating, would bring me to Thursday.)

Dear applicant,

Please DO NOT report anything Lost, and work directly with me on your passports. We have 10 days to investigate missing shipments.  I will provide daily updates.

If you report your passports Lost,  we will be forced to report it to the US Consulate, consequently cancelling your visas.  If we find your shipment and you have already reported it Lost,  you will have to start over your visa application and no compensation will be given.

Salvatore La Corte

Onsite Manager, GSS Canada

General Dynamics Information Technology

K1 & K2:
I129f Sent: March 23, 2018

NOA1: March 29, 2018
RFE: September 29, 2018
RFE reply: October 12, 2018 (Re-sent USC birth certificate and beneficiary's divorce certificate)
NOA2: November 03, 2018 (219 days from NOA1)
NVC Received: November 23, 2018 (20 days from NOA2)

NVC Case Number: December 07, 2018 (14 days from NVC received)
NVC Left: December 26, 2018 (19 days from NVC case number)
Consulate Received: December 31, 2018 (5 days from NVC left)
CEAC status 'Ready': January 7, 2019 (7 days from consulate received)
P3 Sent: January 14, 2019 (7 days from 'Ready')
P4 Received: February 1, 2019 (18 days from P3 sent)
Interview: March 13, 2019- APPROVED! (40 days from P4; 349 days from NOA1)
Visa in Hand: June 3, 2019 (82 days since interview)

(Guaranteed delivery date March 21, 2019- Canada Post "lost" my package)
                               Passports/Visas officially declared "lost": April 15, 2019 (33 days since interview)
                               Reapply for new passports: April 16, 2019 (34 days since interview)

Received New Passports: April 29, 2019 (47 days since interview)
                               New Passports Delivered to Consulate: May 2, 2019 (50 days since interview)
                               USC Contacted State Senator to request inquiry: May 23, 2019 (71 days since interview)

POE: June 20, 2019
Marriage: August 13, 2019

AOS

I-485, I-765, I-131 Sent: September 9, 2019
I-485, I-765, I-131 NOA1: September 16, 2019
I-485, I-165 Biometrics: October 10, 2019
I-485 Case update- ready to be scheduled for interview : November 8, 2019

I-485 Case update- Interview has been scheduled: November 13, 2019 (Dallas, Tx)
Interview:

event.png

Timeline
9 hours ago, EdmoAm said:

What kind of questions did they ask about your cat? Did you need to provide any paperwork? 
When I finally get my stuff and am able to move, I will be bringing my 2 cats along with me. 
From what I've read on the CBS websites, cats don't require proof of shots or anything as long as they appear in good health. 

Pretty basic - how old he was, if I had any paperwork with me (I did as we had been to the vet two weeks before - they gave me confirmation of rabies, distemper and an international good health certificate). I was never nervous that they were at all concerned about him.

Timeline

Hey everyone! Moving on Sunday and couldn’t be more excited. Does anyone have a detailed order of things to do after entering the states or know of any good threads of people with advice on this? I have heard so many mixed things about social security numbers and the order of which to do everything after entering the states and it all seems quite overwhelming. Some things I am confused about are:

do I need an SSN to set up a bank account?

what documents do I need to bring to the office to apply for SSN?

after marriage do i need to get a new SSN with new name on it?

Is it worth while to apply for advanced parole or just wait until AOS is processed to come home and visit family?

some of these may be silly questions but we definitely don’t want to forget to do anything before moving! Thanks so much in advance 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 4/9/2019 at 10:44 AM, EdmoAm said:

This is the email I sent to the Consulate yesterday, after hearing from Canada Post: 

"I have just received an update from Canada Post. 
They are still unable to locate my shipment, and are writing a letter confirming the shipment as lost. I will forward it as soon as I receive it. 
In the meantime, I was told to contact Passport Canada to report our passports as lost, and work on getting new passports. 
What are the next steps where the visas are involved?"

This is the response I received back from the Consulate: 
(I assume it means business days. So 10 business days from the time I received their first email saying they are investigating, would bring me to Thursday.)

I just read your entire case; it's absolutely ridiculous and I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I lived 15 minutes away from that notorious processing centre. Hopefully they can locate the passports but it's unfair that the visas can't be issued on new ones from the same applicant, due to an error completely out of your hands. Fingers crossed for some news tomorrow.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Kkimpala said:

Hey everyone! Moving on Sunday and couldn’t be more excited. Does anyone have a detailed order of things to do after entering the states or know of any good threads of people with advice on this? I have heard so many mixed things about social security numbers and the order of which to do everything after entering the states and it all seems quite overwhelming. Some things I am confused about are:

do I need an SSN to set up a bank account? Yes(/no); most banks require a SSN to open an account

what documents do I need to bring to the office to apply for SSN? Passport, I-94 showing your K1 entry, (optional: Program Operations Manual System page that shows you are eligible to apply for SSN as a K1 entrant)

after marriage do i need to get a new SSN with new name on it? If you're changing to a married name, yes BUT you can only change it with a valid EAD/green card that shows your married name.

Is it worth while to apply for advanced parole or just wait until AOS is processed to come home and visit family? Yes, AP is free to apply for with AOS so why not.

some of these may be silly questions but we definitely don’t want to forget to do anything before moving! Thanks so much in advance 

Congrats on the move! Generally: Arrive > Apply SSN in maiden name > Get married > Apply for AOS/EAD/AP > Change SSN to married name with EAD/GC

Be aware that it may take anywhere from 2-6 weeks to receive SSN after applying depending on your office. I received mine after exactly 4 weeks.

Timeline
59 minutes ago, Vans said:

Congrats on the move! Generally: Arrive > Apply SSN in maiden name > Get married > Apply for AOS/EAD/AP > Change SSN to married name with EAD/GC

Be aware that it may take anywhere from 2-6 weeks to receive SSN after applying depending on your office. I received mine after exactly 4 weeks.

Thank you so very much, this is extremely helpful! All the best to you:)

Timeline
On 4/10/2019 at 10:37 PM, Vans said:

I flipped the SSN and marriage haha; from what I’ve read (including the guide on VJ) it’s preferable to wait two weeks so that your record of arrival is in the system and thus won’t require manual verification:

You should wait 2 weeks after you arrived in the US before applying for a SSN. If you go too soon your
record of arrival will not be in the SAVE-ASVI system yet, and it will require manual verification from the
USCIS. As this will add weeks to the period it takes to process the SSN

I’m hoping to submit my AOS next week, so that will likely be complete prior to the SSN step. I believe because I banked with TD I can start working on the banking aspects pre-SSN; am going to try on that front next week as well (I needed a couple days to breathe!)

Timeline
19 hours ago, d24v said:
19 hours ago, d24v said:

I flipped the SSN and marriage haha; from what I’ve read (including the guide on VJ) it’s preferable to wait two weeks so that your record of arrival is in the system and thus won’t require manual verification:

You should wait 2 weeks after you arrived in the US before applying for a SSN. If you go too soon your
record of arrival will not be in the SAVE-ASVI system yet, and it will require manual verification from the
USCIS. As this will add weeks to the period it takes to process the SSN

From what I’ve read, since last spring that 2 week wait is no longer required because they changed the system and the I-94 is instant. I think you only need wait a few days. I’ve read cases where they went 2 days after POE and it was fine.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Lana&Ivy said:

From what I’ve read, since last spring that 2 week wait is no longer required because they changed the system and the I-94 is instant. I think you only need wait a few days. I’ve read cases where they went 2 days after POE and it was fine.

Oh really? Thanks for the info! I had read in a couple places about waiting the two weeks. I just double checked and my I94 is definitely up to date, so hopefully other systems they use as well would be? If so I can add it back to next week’s list of fun.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.