rivedavi

Us Citizen married undocumented that entered as a minor

53 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: El Salvador
Timeline

Hi,

My cousin us citizen 18 years old married a minor that was undocumented. He entered illegally and was caught by immigration and released to his father. He is now 18. 

They want to get him a green card based on their marriage.

They have 6 month old daughter.

Can she file i-30 for him, and will he be able to stay, should they file a 601 waiver.

He is the only one working as she does not work. They asked me for my advise. as they cannot afford to pay for an attorney. 

Thank you 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If he is under 18 1/2 he would have no ban, no waiver, needed  if he leaves.

Does she have a joint sponsor?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

She will have to find a job or a co sponsor. probably both. he is undocumented and can not legally work. that can bring many issues if he is caught.

what age was he. different states have different laws for underage marriages. most require parental permission. if they had none the marriage is probably void since he was not 18 he can not legally do anything....legal.

if he has a ban, they will need a waiver and it depends on the ban duration.

having a child together has no bearing on his immigration status.

They need an attorney.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

10 minutes ago, rivedavi said:

Hi,

My cousin us citizen 18 years old married a minor that was undocumented. He entered illegally and was caught by immigration and released to his father. He is now 18. 

They want to get him a green card based on their marriage.

They have 6 month old daughter.

Can she file i-30 for him, and will he be able to stay, should they file a 601 waiver.

He is the only one working as she does not work. They asked me for my advise. as they cannot afford to pay for an attorney. 

Thank you 

Maybe with the waiver, but i think it all depends on how many re- entries  he has. 

I was almost on a same situation, i came legally with visa and over stayed when i was minor. My process was easy en i do it my self with my wife didn’t need of a waiver and in six months got my  gc.!

Every case is different and to tell u the truth it is a big probability that he needs the waivers but my understanding its that the waiver only helps you for 1 re-entry..! I do suggest to check with some lawyers 3 at least, to get different opinions some of them Don’t  charge 1st appointments

3 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

She will have to find a job or a co sponsor. probably both. he is undocumented and can not legally work. that can bring many issues if he is caught.

what age was he. different states have different laws for underage marriages. most require parental permission. if they had none the marriage is probably void since he was not 18 he can not legally do anything....legal.

They need an attorney.

I was working and don’t bring problems at all.! I even told inmigration about it.! 

12 minutes ago, Xfiles said:

I was working and don’t bring problems at all.! I even told inmigration about it.! 

The issue isn't his unauthorized work. The issue is needing a qualified financial sponsor. Unauthorized work cannot qualify for sponsorship.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

1 minute ago, geowrian said:

The issue isn't his unauthorized work. The issue is needing a qualified financial sponsor. Unauthorized work cannot qualify for sponsorship.

1 minute ago, geowrian said:

On that it is truth u can’t sponsor yourself.!!! It has to be a citizen

5 minutes ago, Xfiles said:

On that it is truth u can’t sponsor yourself.!!! It has to be a citizen

Any USC or LPR (green card holder) domiciled in the US.

Some beneficiaries can have their income included with the petitioner, but there are restrictions on this that the OP won't meet.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Timeline
27 minutes ago, Boiler said:

If he is under 18 1/2 he would have no ban, no waiver, needed  if he leaves.

Does she have a joint sponsor?

his father could help.

Does he have to leave for him not to submit the waiver? since their baby is really little.

They would try to avoid sending him back

2 minutes ago, rivedavi said:

Does he have to leave for him not to submit the waiver?

Yes. He cannot adjust status within the US as he has no status to adjust from.

An exception would be if he has (or had) a valid Advance Parole and used it to leave the US and re-enter.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Timeline
32 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

They need an attorney.

His father lives here he has TPS status and a right work. he gave them permission to marry. I am not sure he has ban.  

Timeline
1 hour ago, rivedavi said:

His father lives here he has TPS status and a right work. he gave them permission to marry. I am not sure he has ban.  

So he is not eligible to be a joint sponsor.

Exactly how old is he?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

How old is he? If he is under 18 1/2 he does not have a ban.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Boiler said:

How old is he? If he is under 18 1/2 he does not have a ban.

He turned 18 in july in December he will be 18 1/2

does that mean they can file normally?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.