khmer@nike

ITIN Individula Taxpayer Identification Number

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Hi all

I hope there is someone case are similar as mine.

My fiancee is arrived 3 month ago via K1 visa.  I apply SSN for her and got it so I can enroll her in my work Health benefit.

My fiancee has a 3 years old daughter, i try to appy for SSN so i can enroll her in my work health benefit but got denied from SSN office.

SSN Office direct me to apply for ITIN Number to tax purposes.  So I applied W-7 to get ITIN Number but also get denied as well.

What can i do from here on ? any suggestion would be helpful.  thank you in advance.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
18 minutes ago, khmer@nike said:

My fiancee has a 3 years old daughter

The child entered with a K-2? If so, did you marry your partner yet? Did you file AOS for the child? Did you submit I-765 and I-131 for the child with the AOS packet? When a FREE AOS EAD is issued for the child, then a SSN can be assigned. 2018 Taxes aren't due until April. File any old taxes now, then amend later.

Edited by TM92

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, TM92 said:

The child entered with a K-2? If so, did you marry your partner yet? Did you file AOS for the child? Did you submit I-765 and I-131 for the child with the AOS packet? When an EAD is issued for the child, then a SSN can be assigned. 2018 Taxes aren't due until April. File any old taxes now, then amend later.

TM92,

Yes the child inetered as k2

Yes we did get married

I don't recall the term AOS for the Child and EAD......?

Yes i did submitted I-765, I-131 for the child a week ago.

Edited by khmer@nike
adding notes

Timeline
3 minutes ago, khmer@nike said:

TM92,

Yes the child inetered as k2

Yes we did get married

I don't recall the term AOS for the Child and EAD......?

Yes i did submitted I-765, I-131 for the child a week ago.

I-765 for Employment, I don't apply I-765 for the child only for my fiacee

Timeline
16 minutes ago, khmer@nike said:

I-765 for Employment, I don't apply I-765 for the child only for my fiacee

For the child's SSN, do you want to wait until the Green Card is approved (however long that takes)? Or do you want it possibly sooner? If you want it potentially sooner, then submit I-765 for the child, its FREE. For Part 2 answer:

13.a. No

14. Yes

15. Yes

Also, what forms did you already submit for the child? https://www.visajourney.com/content/k2-visa-adjustment-of-status-tips/

Edited by TM92

Timeline
13 minutes ago, TM92 said:

For the child's SSN, do you want to wait until the Green Card is approved (however long that takes)? Or do you want it possibly sooner? If you want it potentially sooner, then submit I-765 for the child, its FREE. For Part 2 answer:

13.a. No

14. Yes

15. Yes

Also, what forms did you already submit for the child? https://www.visajourney.com/content/k2-visa-adjustment-of-status-tips/

TM92,  Thanks so much.

I submitted I-864 and I-131,

look like i might have to do I 765 then.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, khmer@nike said:

I submitted I-864 and I-131

And I-485 (with I-485 fee of $750) for the child?

Edited by TM92

Timeline
4 minutes ago, TM92 said:

And I-485 (with I-485 fee) for the child?

YES i did submitted I-485 as well.

on form I-765, check box....reason for applying.  I should ckeck box 1a?

Timeline
1 minute ago, khmer@nike said:

on form I-765, check box....reason for applying.  I should ckeck box 1a?

Correct; I admit it looks absurd, but that's USCIS:jest:

Also, wait until you receive the child's I-797C I-485 receipt notice before sending the I-765. When you receive the receipt notice make a photocopy to send with the I-765. Then send them to the USCIS Chicago Lockbox: https://www.uscis.gov/i-765-addresses

Timeline
1 minute ago, TM92 said:

Correct; I admit it looks absurd, but that's USCIS:jest:

Also, wait until you receive the child's I-797C I-485 receipt notice before sending the I-765. When you receive the receipt notice make a photocopy to send with the I-765. Then send them to the USCIS Chicago Lockbox: https://www.uscis.gov/i-765-addresses

THANK YOU SO MUCH

Timeline
1 hour ago, khmer@nike said:

My fiancee has a 3 years old daughter, i try to appy for SSN so i can enroll her in my work health benefit

SSN isn't required for insurance. You may have to go back and forth with your HR for them to figure out how to do so without an SSN (many businesses don't deal with this circumstance often), but it can be done. If you have further questions about this either ask @geowrian or @Boiler.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

This IRS site explains what to do while u wait for immigraition to process your applicaition

it is not ITIN for a child / it is ATIN form W7a

you will file this form with your 2018 tax returns / not now

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/taxpayer-identification-numbers-tin

the ATIN is for resident children who do not qualify for SS# even if u will not adopt

An Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number (ATIN) is a temporary nine-digit number issued by the IRS to individuals who are in the process of legally adopting a U.S. citizen or resident child but who cannot get an SSN for that child in time to file their tax return.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 hours ago, adil-rafa said:

This IRS site explains what to do while u wait for immigraition to process your applicaition

it is not ITIN for a child / it is ATIN form W7a

you will file this form with your 2018 tax returns / not now

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/taxpayer-identification-numbers-tin

the ATIN is for resident children who do not qualify for SS# even if u will not adopt

An Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number (ATIN) is a temporary nine-digit number issued by the IRS to individuals who are in the process of legally adopting a U.S. citizen or resident child but who cannot get an SSN for that child in time to file their tax return.

I respectfully disagree with this statement unless the OP has specifically stated that he's adopting his fiancee's daughter, then yes you're correct in suggesting in applying for an ATIN if he's legally going to adopt the child.

The course of action would be applying for an ITIN and selecting Exception D and entering the OP's SSN.

image.thumb.png.86ec9e1ae7ede8d7dea8ada81d07469e.png  

@khmer@nikeI would suggest reaching to your local CAA (IRS Certified Acceptance Agent) to assist you with filing an ITIN. You can search them by going to this site https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/acceptance-agent-program I'm a CAA but I live in NJ but you can PM if you have any specific questions. Just be aware that it takes approximately 6+ weeks to get the ITIN application processed. Also, as someone mentioned by @TM92 you don't need a SSN to add them to your health insurance. I added my stepchildren to my health insurance mid year w/o SSN and I had no issue. Good Luck..

ROC:

Filed: 2/22/17

VSC Received: 2/26/17

Check Cashed: 3/12/17

NOA1: 3/15/17

Timeline
49 minutes ago, ameribrazil said:

I respectfully disagree with this statement unless the OP has specifically stated that he's adopting his fiancee's daughter, then yes you're correct in suggesting in applying for an ATIN if he's legally going to adopt the child.

The course of action would be applying for an ITIN and selecting Exception D and entering the OP's SSN.

image.thumb.png.86ec9e1ae7ede8d7dea8ada81d07469e.png  

@khmer@nikeI would suggest reaching to your local CAA (IRS Certified Acceptance Agent) to assist you with filing an ITIN. You can search them by going to this site https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/acceptance-agent-program I'm a CAA but I live in NJ but you can PM if you have any specific questions. Just be aware that it takes approximately 6+ weeks to get the ITIN application processed. Also, as someone mentioned by @TM92 you don't need a SSN to add them to your health insurance. I added my stepchildren to my health insurance mid year w/o SSN and I had no issue. Good Luck..

IRS site says for those who wil adcopt or those children who are get legal residents and not yet elible for SS#

the quote is directly from IRS

READ the section that says resident child directly from IRS

Timeline

IRS has 4 types of TIN numbers

the ATIN is for children with residency not able to have SS Card yet / it is listed under adopiton

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.