malka

DCF in Bulgaria

7 posts in this topic

Hi, all. We've started DCF in Sofia, Bulgaria, and all is well so far! If you're curious, here's how it's going:

We got married here in Sofia last month, and it was lovely. Except that the translator we hired got a little confused and just translated in a whisper to my parents, so I didn't totally catch all the details of the ceremony. But, still - it was fabulous and the day couldn't have been happier. My advice to anyone getting married here in Bulgaria is to get all your documents together well ahead of time and to make absolutely sure that all the name translations from English to Cyrillic alphabets are perfectly consistent. The ladies at the marriage hall knew exactly what they were doing and were sweet and helpful at every step. We had no problems.

THE DCF PROCESS:

As of last week, I've been living here in Sofia for 6 months, so I called the embassy Monday and set up an appointment for Wednesday and we took our I-130 petition and supporting documents over to the embassy and filed there. Again, all went well. I have dual citizenship - USA and France; since Bulgaria is now part of the EU I got a Bulgarian permanent resident card back in January simply by showing the foreigners office my French passport and by having my (then) fiance sign a form that he would support me, we would live together like family, and that I wouldn't be a burden on the country. I am sooooooo glad I have that card.

Some things that the Sofia embassy does differently:

They require that all document translations be done by a certified translation company. (There are dozens in Sofia, and each document cost between 12 and 40 leva to translate and legalize. To get the legalization done, you have to get an official duplicate of the document and then take that duplicate to the translation agency, and they will translate it and get it stamped and Hague-apostilled and satisfactorily covered with all sorts of official this and thats. If you don't want to pay for rush service for the legalization part, translate these documents 2-3 weeks before you need them.) We used a company called Scandinavia Consult and were totally satisfied.

The embassy requires that the marriage certificate and beneficiary's birth certificate are legalized, but other documents (like the up-and-coming police certificate and statement of marital status) just need to be translated.

They only accept cash (leva or dollars)

We arrived at the embassy with $190 in cash, all our documents in a folder (the originals on one side and the copies on the other), an envelope of photos of our wedding and showing us together over time, and our passports. We had a "back-up" file of additional evidence like congratulatory cards, library cards, more photos, etc., that they never looked at.

The first thing we did was fill out a DHL form for the future visa delivery and paid our petition fee. Then a lady called us up to the window, looked over our forms, asked us a few questions, gave us information (including a packet in Bulgarian) about what we need to do for the next interview (proof of ongoing relationship, medical exam (they gave us a form to give to the clinic), police certificate, marital status certificate, $380 fee, DS-230 and I-864 forms, birth certificate, etc.), and then she told us to sit and wait for the consular officer to call us. When he called us up a few minutes later, he again looked over our forms, asked us how we met and what our plans are, flipped through our pictures and spent some time discussing my residency status, since it was the first time he'd seen the new EU residency card (which is kind of insubstantial looking). Then he said he saw no problems and that everything looked just fine.

YAY! :dance:

He told us to contact the embassy again in no less than ten days to schedule our next interview, gave us back our originals, and sent us on our merry way. We were at the embassy less than 45 minutes. I guess they're doing my Adam Walsh name check now.

We're now collecting the next set of documents, which are inexpensive but require some footwork. We tried to set up a medical appointment at one of the clinics, but they said that we have to wait until we have an exact date set for the second interview. They promised they could schedule the exam for the next day, if need be, so we'll just a week or so on that. I fretted to the consular officer that we didn't have much proof of the ongoing relationship, but that we do have a shared credit card. He said that the credit card and some snapshots should be just fine.

So... so far, all is going very, very well and we are hopeful that it stays that way! :star:

9-12/2004 - met and fell in love in Bulgaria

2004 - 2006 - travel, travel, travel...

11/2006 - moved to Bulgaria

1/2007 - engaged

4/2007 - wedding

DCF for CR-1 Visa BEGINS:

5/16/2007 - I-130 filed at Sofia, Bulgaria embassy

Congratulations for starting your visa process, I hope all will go well and you get the visa fast. Wish you all the best :thumbs:

"Daca voi nu ma vreti, io va vreau"

DCF Frankfurt Germany

01/12/2007 I-130 filed in person at the Consulate in Frankfurt

01/17/2007 Faxed the checklist to the Immigrant Visa Unit in Frankfurt

03/29/2007 Got letter from USCIS to provide evidence that our marriage is bona fide

04/02/2007 Sent to USCIS lots of evidence

05/03/2007 I have an unofficial "PETITION APPROVED" ...waiting for confirmation from Consulate

05/07/2007 Received email from USCIS ROME confirming that our petition was approved (why Rome? because we complained to the District Office Rome about the Sub-Office Frankfurt..it took too long for our petition to be approved)...now waiting for the interview letter from the Consulate

05/18/2007 E-mail from IV Frankfurt, our interview was scheduled for May 29th

05/19/2007 Packet 4 in the mail: ja ja ja interview letter

05/29/2007 Interview at 7.30 a.m. APPROVED Thank you, God!

06/01/2007 Visa arrived !

06/03/2007 Mayday on the plane POE Cincinnati

Living in Maryland

06/21/2007 Welcome Notice from USCIS

06/29/2007 Applied for SSN at the local Office

07/07/2007 Green Card arrived

07/09/2007 Another 2 Welcome Letters from USCIS...God, they really love me! :D

07/20/2007 Social Security Card arrived

Living@working in Maryland :)

01/18/2009 PCS-ing to Stuttgart Germany

Feb 2009 Received letter from VSC to start removing conditions.

Getting ready the packet for Removing Conditions I-751

03/12/2009 Mailed the I-751 packet to Vermont Service Center

• 15 years later...
Timeline
On 5/19/2007 at 12:56 PM, malka said:

Hi, all. We've started DCF in Sofia, Bulgaria, and all is well so far! If you're curious, here's how it's going:

We got married here in Sofia last month, and it was lovely. Except that the translator we hired got a little confused and just translated in a whisper to my parents, so I didn't totally catch all the details of the ceremony. But, still - it was fabulous and the day couldn't have been happier. My advice to anyone getting married here in Bulgaria is to get all your documents together well ahead of time and to make absolutely sure that all the name translations from English to Cyrillic alphabets are perfectly consistent. The ladies at the marriage hall knew exactly what they were doing and were sweet and helpful at every step. We had no problems.

THE DCF PROCESS:

As of last week, I've been living here in Sofia for 6 months, so I called the embassy Monday and set up an appointment for Wednesday and we took our I-130 petition and supporting documents over to the embassy and filed there. Again, all went well. I have dual citizenship - USA and France; since Bulgaria is now part of the EU I got a Bulgarian permanent resident card back in January simply by showing the foreigners office my French passport and by having my (then) fiance sign a form that he would support me, we would live together like family, and that I wouldn't be a burden on the country. I am sooooooo glad I have that card.

Some things that the Sofia embassy does differently:

They require that all document translations be done by a certified translation company. (There are dozens in Sofia, and each document cost between 12 and 40 leva to translate and legalize. To get the legalization done, you have to get an official duplicate of the document and then take that duplicate to the translation agency, and they will translate it and get it stamped and Hague-apostilled and satisfactorily covered with all sorts of official this and thats. If you don't want to pay for rush service for the legalization part, translate these documents 2-3 weeks before you need them.) We used a company called Scandinavia Consult and were totally satisfied.

The embassy requires that the marriage certificate and beneficiary's birth certificate are legalized, but other documents (like the up-and-coming police certificate and statement of marital status) just need to be translated.

They only accept cash (leva or dollars)

We arrived at the embassy with $190 in cash, all our documents in a folder (the originals on one side and the copies on the other), an envelope of photos of our wedding and showing us together over time, and our passports. We had a "back-up" file of additional evidence like congratulatory cards, library cards, more photos, etc., that they never looked at.

The first thing we did was fill out a DHL form for the future visa delivery and paid our petition fee. Then a lady called us up to the window, looked over our forms, asked us a few questions, gave us information (including a packet in Bulgarian) about what we need to do for the next interview (proof of ongoing relationship, medical exam (they gave us a form to give to the clinic), police certificate, marital status certificate, $380 fee, DS-230 and I-864 forms, birth certificate, etc.), and then she told us to sit and wait for the consular officer to call us. When he called us up a few minutes later, he again looked over our forms, asked us how we met and what our plans are, flipped through our pictures and spent some time discussing my residency status, since it was the first time he'd seen the new EU residency card (which is kind of insubstantial looking). Then he said he saw no problems and that everything looked just fine.

YAY! :dance:

He told us to contact the embassy again in no less than ten days to schedule our next interview, gave us back our originals, and sent us on our merry way. We were at the embassy less than 45 minutes. I guess they're doing my Adam Walsh name check now.

We're now collecting the next set of documents, which are inexpensive but require some footwork. We tried to set up a medical appointment at one of the clinics, but they said that we have to wait until we have an exact date set for the second interview. They promised they could schedule the exam for the next day, if need be, so we'll just a week or so on that. I fretted to the consular officer that we didn't have much proof of the ongoing relationship, but that we do have a shared credit card. He said that the credit card and some snapshots should be just fine.

So... so far, all is going very, very well and we are hopeful that it stays that way! :star:

I know this is a super old post but WOW I am so upset because when I called them and asked about doing a DCF in Bulgaria (I've lived here for 5 years!) the lady on the phone said I can't do that. I have to submit everything through USCIS. 

Then after submitting the I130 I was offered a job in the US and contacted the embassy to see if they can take our case, they said that since I already filed with USCIS they cannot do that. But otherwise yes, I would have been able to.

So the original person I spoke to totally misinformed me and now we are stuck waiting (probably 1-2 years) to go through the regular process. 

USCIS 
01/08/2022 - Married in Bulgaria

02/12/2022 - Submitted I-130 online 

02/12/2022 - NOA 1 (Nebraska Service Center) ➡️ Transferred (Potomac Service Center)

05/23/2022 - Sent K3 Packet

05/26/2022 - K3 Receipt Notice (Potomac Service Center)

06/21/2022 - Status Update (Case is being actively reviewed by USCIS)

02/22/2023 - Approved 🎉 (notice came from NBC Service Center) 

Total: 375 days

NVC

03/01/2023 Welcome Email

03/01/2023 Paid Fees

03/03/2023 Submitted NVC paperwork

03/18/2023 Documentarily Qualified 🎉

04/04/2023 Received Interview Letter

Total: 34 days

Embassy - Sofia, Bulgaria

04/27/2023 - Medical

05/09/2023 - Interview (Approved)

USA

05/12/2023 - Arrived in the US

06/30/2023 - Received Green Card in the mail

12 minutes ago, Alex&Nayden said:

I know this is a super old post but WOW I am so upset because when I called them and asked about doing a DCF in Bulgaria (I've lived here for 5 years!) the lady on the phone said I can't do that. I have to submit everything through USCIS. 

Then after submitting the I130 I was offered a job in the US and contacted the embassy to see if they can take our case, they said that since I already filed with USCIS they cannot do that. But otherwise yes, I would have been able to.

So the original person I spoke to totally misinformed me and now we are stuck waiting (probably 1-2 years) to go through the regular process. 

DCF the old way stopped being an option around 2019.

You can check the pinned post at the top of this forum. 

Some US Consulates allow you to file DCF if you have exceptional circumstances (and short notice job relocation) is one of the circumstances they accept. But, it is on a case by case basis. 

Timeline
14 minutes ago, ROK2USA said:

DCF the old way stopped being an option around 2019.

You can check the pinned post at the top of this forum. 

Some US Consulates allow you to file DCF if you have exceptional circumstances (and short notice job relocation) is one of the circumstances they accept. But, it is on a case by case basis. 

I hope you are right! hah it does make me feel better. 🥰

USCIS 
01/08/2022 - Married in Bulgaria

02/12/2022 - Submitted I-130 online 

02/12/2022 - NOA 1 (Nebraska Service Center) ➡️ Transferred (Potomac Service Center)

05/23/2022 - Sent K3 Packet

05/26/2022 - K3 Receipt Notice (Potomac Service Center)

06/21/2022 - Status Update (Case is being actively reviewed by USCIS)

02/22/2023 - Approved 🎉 (notice came from NBC Service Center) 

Total: 375 days

NVC

03/01/2023 Welcome Email

03/01/2023 Paid Fees

03/03/2023 Submitted NVC paperwork

03/18/2023 Documentarily Qualified 🎉

04/04/2023 Received Interview Letter

Total: 34 days

Embassy - Sofia, Bulgaria

04/27/2023 - Medical

05/09/2023 - Interview (Approved)

USA

05/12/2023 - Arrived in the US

06/30/2023 - Received Green Card in the mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It does not sound like you had exceptional circumstances when you asked.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.