Jump to content
DivineAngel

Parking tickets under citation on N-400

14 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, CJlove said:

Hmm... When I applie for N400, I didn’t include parking tickets or traffic tickets because they were not criminal offense. 

Hmm, but Part 12, Q23 on the N-400 is: 

 
“Have you EVER been arrested, >cited<,or detained by any law enforcement officer (including any immigration official or any official of the U.S. armed forces) for any reason?”
 
So I’m assuming traffic citations should be mentioned. And maybe even parking tickets? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, DivineAngel said:

Hmm, but Part 12, Q23 on the N-400 is: 

 
“Have you EVER been arrested, >cited<,or detained by any law enforcement officer (including any immigration official or any official of the U.S. armed forces) for any reason?”
 
So I’m assuming traffic citations should be mentioned. And maybe even parking tickets? 

Yes true.. To be safe, you should disclose them? For me, when I was applying at the time, I didn’t think it was a criminal offense so I didn’t disclose them (more like I didn’t know!) and I had no issue getting my naturalization. Go with your best judgment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a citation, so yeah it needs to be disclosed on the application.  The part you don't have to worry about is sending evidence/documentation regarding it.

 

It won't be an issue  with your N400...not disclosing it, and it coming up later on through their databases can be a HUGE issue, however, as the IO will then wonder what else was omitted on your application.  A lot of that depends on how stringent the IO adjudicating your case wants to be.

 

Mention in the explanation section very clearly that they are traffic citations, and bring proof of payment to your interview incase asked for.  The IO will be more concerned that you have no outstanding fines when it comes to traffic tickets (for example, if you never paid multiple parking/traffic tickets it can affect the Good Moral Character requirement).

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

 

Applied for US Passport - requested Routine/ Regular Service

Oct. 27, 2017 (Day 00) - Submitted Passport Application, filed in person at Post Office

Oct. 30, 2017 (Day 03) - Online tracker shows application has been received and is under processing

Nov. 08, 2017 (Day 12) - Online tracker shows "in final stages" and projected completion time of 11/13/2017

Nov. 09, 2017 (Day 13) - Passport received in the mail.

Nov. 10, 2017 (Day 14) - Naturalization Certificate received back in the mail.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Going through said:

It is a citation, so yeah it needs to be disclosed on the application.  The part you don't have to worry about is sending evidence/documentation regarding it.

 

It won't be an issue  with your N400...not disclosing it, and it coming up later on through their databases can be a HUGE issue, however, as the IO will then wonder what else was omitted on your application.  A lot of that depends on how stringent the IO adjudicating your case wants to be.

 

Mention in the explanation section very clearly that they are traffic citations, and bring proof of payment to your interview incase asked for.  The IO will be more concerned that you have no outstanding fines when it comes to traffic tickets (for example, if you never paid multiple parking/traffic tickets it can affect the Good Moral Character requirement).

Thanks a bunch! It’s really helpful. How about parking tickets? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DivineAngel said:

Thanks a bunch! It’s really helpful. How about parking tickets? 

There is no harm in disclosing a parking ticket. If you have taken care of it by paying fine or have got it dismissed, just take the proof of payment or dismissal to the interview n show it if asked. That's it. No point stressing or thinking about it too much!

Edited by love_my_wife

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, love_my_wife said:

There is no harm in disclosing a parking ticket. If you have taken care of it by paying fine or have got it dismissed, just take the proof of payment or dismissal to the interview n show it if asked. That's it. No point stressing or thinking about it too much!

That’s true. Just trying to avoid unnecessary, redundant paperwork and me digging through my files for weeks, which has been the case. :) And my case is not even complicated. I giggled that USCIS estimates 9 hours for filing N-400. I wish!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, love_my_wife said:

There is no harm in disclosing a parking ticket. If you have taken care of it by paying fine or have got it dismissed, just take the proof of payment or dismissal to the interview n show it if asked. That's it. No point stressing or thinking about it too much!

On a second note, is it NECCESARY to include parking tickets under citations? Or is it OPTIONAL? Thanks a bunch! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DivineAngel said:

On a second note, is it NECCESARY to include parking tickets under citations? Or is it OPTIONAL? Thanks a bunch! 

Again, there is no written rule about this. So it is upto to applicants to disclose it or not. To be on the safe side and not create any complications, it is advised that you disclose any traffic ticket...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"by any law enforcement officer", I would think parking tickets are issued by parking enforcement (city officers), not law-enforcement (in most cases, at least).. Unless you're someone who collected 10's of parking tickets, I would not worry about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2018 at 10:25 PM, SamMaj said:

"by any law enforcement officer", I would think parking tickets are issued by parking enforcement (city officers), not law-enforcement (in most cases, at least).. Unless you're someone who collected 10's of parking tickets, I would not worry about it.

Very good point! That’s what I was thinking too that it’s not by “any law enforcement officer”. Based on this link it sounds like it’s parking officers not law enforcement officers, right? 

 

https://www.bellflower.org/depts/safety/parking/default.asp

 

I’ve only had 2 parking tickets basically one week apart, 5 years ago. Since then no parking tickets thankfully. 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2018 at 10:25 PM, SamMaj said:

"by any law enforcement officer", I would think parking tickets are issued by parking enforcement (city officers), not law-enforcement (in most cases, at least).. Unless you're someone who collected 10's of parking tickets, I would not worry about it.

Very good point! That’s what I was thinking too that it’s not by “any law enforcement officer”. Based on this link it sounds like it’s parking officers not law enforcement officers, right? 

 

https://www.bellflower.org/depts/safety/parking/default.asp

 

I’ve only had 2 parking tickets basically one week apart, 5 years ago. Since then no parking tickets thankfully. 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×