Jump to content
ypsirccim

Changing last name in origin country?

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

So we have filed for the AOS and just got done with our Biometrics. next step is to wait for the interview date, and we figured we should take the time to change my wifes last name in her origin country (Japan in this case). 

My question is, will this have any negative effect on the i485 paperwork? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, ypsirccim said:

So we have filed for the AOS and just got done with our Biometrics. next step is to wait for the interview date, and we figured we should take the time to change my wifes last name in her origin country (Japan in this case). 

My question is, will this have any negative effect on the i485 paperwork? 

 

 

Why would it have a negative affect at all? This is just another sign that you two are in a legitimate relationship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ypsirccim said:

So we have filed for the AOS and just got done with our Biometrics. next step is to wait for the interview date, and we figured we should take the time to change my wifes last name in her origin country (Japan in this case). 

My question is, will this have any negative effect on the i485 paperwork? 

 

 

The only thing I see is if you filed her AOS with her maiden name, in that case at the interview you would be required to bring proof of legal change and any other ID she would have used in the process such as passport with maiden etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Why would it have a negative affect at all? This is just another sign that you two are in a legitimate relationship. 

Not sure, that's why i'm asking. 

 

2 hours ago, bad4tatt said:

The only thing I see is if you filed her AOS with her maiden name, in that case at the interview you would be required to bring proof of legal change and any other ID she would have used in the process such as passport with maiden etc.

We filed everything with her new last name... and just put her maiden name under the "previous last names" section. Sounds like we should be good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×