sy_ny

Passport Expiring in less than two monts of travel

7 posts in this topic

My son’s passport is expiring on May 19, 2019, his interview is December 10, 2018 now he wants to travel on March 20 to USA to finish his school... on IR2 visa. Is that ok?

Naturalization

03/16/2011 - Package sent to Dallas, TX Lockbox

03/22/2011 - Check cashed

03/25/2011 - Received Notice of Acceptance letter

03/31/2011 - Received Biometrics Appointment letter

04/20/2011 - Biometrics Appointment done

04/26/2011 - Case forwarded to Local Office

04/30/2011 - Received Interview appointment letter

06/02/2011 - Interview in Albany Field Office -- successful

Petition for Sister in Kuwait

03/27/12 - Mailed I-130- Day 1

03/30/12- NOA1

04/04/12 - Cashed check

US Citizen since June 2nd 2011

1/19/2018   - Sent I-130 package for son in the Philippines

9/26/2018   - Received the Case Number and Invoice Number - NH Field Office

9/27/2018   - Submitted documents online

10/9/2018   - Received a note saying we have an incorrect form, submitted the correct one same day

10/31/2018 - All documents are approved and ready to schedule interview

Just now, sy_ny said:

My son’s passport is expiring on May 19, 2019, his interview is December 10, 2018 now he wants to travel on March 20 to USA to finish his school... on IR2 visa. Is that ok?

The passport must  be valid for at least 6 months before expiry date at the time of the interview. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
43 minutes ago, sy_ny said:

Get it renewed

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
48 minutes ago, sy_ny said:

The passport must be valid for 6 months beyond the date of the trip

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/faqs.html

47 minutes ago, Ann&James said:

The passport must  be valid for at least 6 months before beyond expiry date at the time of the interview.   date of the trip.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/faqs.html

"Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met.  Consider the following scenario: A country requires that you have at least six months of validity on your passport. You currently have seven months of validity on your passport.  However, your trip is two months from now. At that point, you will only have five months of validity remaining on your passport which is not enough to satisfy that country's entry requirements. In this situation, you would need to renew your passport before you can make your trip."

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

• 2 months later...
On 11/13/2018 at 6:25 AM, Hank_ said:

The passport must be valid for 6 months beyond the date of the trip

"Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met.  Consider the following scenario: A country requires that you have at least six months of validity on your passport. You currently have seven months of validity on your passport.  However, your trip is two months from now. At that point, you will only have five months of validity remaining on your passport which is not enough to satisfy that country's entry requirements. In this situation, you would need to renew your passport before you can make your trip."

Thank you we ended up renewing his passport! Got the new passport and now rescheduling, the new passport number is different though, I scheduled the new appt with the new passport number is that going to be an issue? Do I call anyone to have them note the changes?

thank you again! So helpful

Naturalization

03/16/2011 - Package sent to Dallas, TX Lockbox

03/22/2011 - Check cashed

03/25/2011 - Received Notice of Acceptance letter

03/31/2011 - Received Biometrics Appointment letter

04/20/2011 - Biometrics Appointment done

04/26/2011 - Case forwarded to Local Office

04/30/2011 - Received Interview appointment letter

06/02/2011 - Interview in Albany Field Office -- successful

Petition for Sister in Kuwait

03/27/12 - Mailed I-130- Day 1

03/30/12- NOA1

04/04/12 - Cashed check

US Citizen since June 2nd 2011

1/19/2018   - Sent I-130 package for son in the Philippines

9/26/2018   - Received the Case Number and Invoice Number - NH Field Office

9/27/2018   - Submitted documents online

10/9/2018   - Received a note saying we have an incorrect form, submitted the correct one same day

10/31/2018 - All documents are approved and ready to schedule interview

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 hours ago, sy_ny said:

Thank you we ended up renewing his passport! Got the new passport and now rescheduling, the new passport number is different though, I scheduled the new appt with the new passport number is that going to be an issue? Do I call anyone to have them note the changes?

thank you again! So helpful

1st  Bring BOTH passports to the interview.   

You got your interview rescheduled you should be fine.  You can make mention to the CO at the interview about the new passport so he can do any updates (if needed).

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.