clumsden

Non US Resident with Pending Visa Bringing Future Fiance to US

27 posts in this topic

Here is the situation/context of the assistance I am seeking... I am a Canadian citizen and I am being considered for a job in Wisconsin in early 2019. As I evaluate the opportunity professionally, I am concerned about the impact personally and I am trying to get an assessment on what steps/what chance of success/how long equation to determine next steps and how serious I am about this.

Essentially, if it is 1) it's clear what needs to be done (documents, steps), 2) there is a high degree of success (75% or greater) and 3) the timeline is reasonable (1 YRish) then I should continue to consider this opportunity. However, if 1) it's completely murky what needs to be done (documents, steps), 2) there is a low degree of success (50% or less) and 3) the timeline is long (2 YRS+); it is going to be too disruptive to my personal life and I will excuse myself now from consideration...

About my situation: I am current in process of getting a divorce (expected to be granted Feb/Mar 2019) and am getting engaged around XMAS this year to my girlfriend (also a Canadian citizen). She is a soon to be fiance, but she cannot be my wife for at least a few months (the basic city hall/court house). So in summary, I am a Canadian citizen who will be sponsored to work in the US by the firm, and given that she is a Canadian citizen too, and for the next 3-6 months effective Jan 2019, will be my fiance, but not wife, and who is not sponsored to work in the US - do I go for this or walk away?

I hope that was clear enough context, variables and detailed information about both to provide the forum with guidance and recommendations...I am open to any and all suggestions. Thank you in advance. :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
3 minutes ago, clumsden said:

Here is the situation/context of the assistance I am seeking... I am a Canadian citizen and I am being considered for a job in Wisconsin in early 2019. As I evaluate the opportunity professionally, I am concerned about the impact personally and I am trying to get an assessment on what steps/what chance of success/how long equation to determine next steps and how serious I am about this.

Essentially, if it is 1) it's clear what needs to be done (documents, steps), 2) there is a high degree of success (75% or greater) and 3) the timeline is reasonable (1 YRish) then I should continue to consider this opportunity. However, if 1) it's completely murky what needs to be done (documents, steps), 2) there is a low degree of success (50% or less) and 3) the timeline is long (2 YRS+); it is going to be too disruptive to my personal life and I will excuse myself now from consideration...

About my situation: I am current in process of getting a divorce (expected to be granted Feb/Mar 2019) and am getting engaged around XMAS this year to my girlfriend (also a Canadian citizen). She is a soon to be fiance, but she cannot be my wife for at least a few months (the basic city hall/court house). So in summary, I am a Canadian citizen who will be sponsored to work in the US by the firm, and given that she is a Canadian citizen too, and for the next 3-6 months effective Jan 2019, will be my fiance, but not wife, and who is not sponsored to work in the US - do I go for this or walk away?

I hope that was clear enough context, variables and detailed information about both to provide the forum with guidance and recommendations...I am open to any and all suggestions. Thank you in advance. :)

if you were to get the job, you can only bring the spouse to USA not a fiance, if she is able to come across to visit that is one thing however she would not be allowed to stay in USA as she would only be a fiance.

@ Khallaf, thank you. Assuming she would be my wife at some point say mid next year, is it like a long time/complicated process for her to then join me? If I were a US citizen and married a CAD citizen I think that path is clearer but as a CAD citizen, living/working in the US, who is looking to bring his CAD wife to the US to live (at the start, but at some point work too) is that going to be a hellishly long and complicated thing with low chance of success, or is it like easy-peasy, slam dunk?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, clumsden said:

@ Khallaf, thank you. Assuming she would be my wife at some point say mid next year, is it like a long time/complicated process for her to then join me? If I were a US citizen and married a CAD citizen I think that path is clearer but as a CAD citizen, living/working in the US, who is looking to bring his CAD wife to the US to live (at the start, but at some point work too) is that going to be a hellishly long and complicated thing with low chance of success, or is it like easy-peasy, slam dunk?

hahaha nothing about immigration is an easy-peasy slam dunk.

it took over 17 months for my husband to get a visa approved to come to the USA, and I was born and raised in America.

I do not know the specifics of a work based visa for a spouse, but I can tell you it isn't a fast, easy process, and takes time, money, and paperwork.

edit--

and Patience lots and lots of patience.

Edited by Khallaf

@ Khallaf, that's exactly what I was looking for...17 months and not easy (and expensive)...and you are a US citizen so a Canadian like me is looking at at least that long and more...I don't want to be too gushy/love struck, but I don't want to risk my relationship with her at this critical junction over a job. Hmmm, lots to consider...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I see no path for her to accompany you as a fiance.  If you are the holder of an H1b (for example) visa, she could accompany you as your spouse (H4), but she would not be authorized to work.  A Green Card holder can petition for a spouse, but the processing time is about 2 years.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 minute ago, clumsden said:

@ mushroomspore, 99% sure it would be the H1-B Visa, slim slim chance for the TN Via.

Ok that's what I thought. This is really a matter you should bring up with the company since they will be filing your papers for you and your future spouse's papers depend on yours. Your girlfriend's application is not something separate or something you take on by yourself. Can't provide insight into timing but you can't do anything til your divorce is done and you marry her anyways.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, clumsden said:

@ Khallaf, that's exactly what I was looking for...17 months and not easy (and expensive)...and you are a US citizen so a Canadian like me is looking at at least that long and more...I don't want to be too gushy/love struck, but I don't want to risk my relationship with her at this critical junction over a job. Hmmm, lots to consider...

honestly if you love each other, than really no matter of distance or time, or space will cause a rift in any relationship, as there is a chance she can still come to visit you, and you can go back and forth.

my husband isn't coming into USA until Feb 2019 so we are still apart, our relationship was new, and we made it work, it takes love, honesty and respect, as well as dedication when it comes to being miles apart.

our distance is over 6K miles, and a travel of at least 19 hours one way... just a thought.

5 minutes ago, mushroomspore said:

Ok that's what I thought. This is really a matter you should bring up with the company since they will be filing your papers for you and your future spouse's papers depend on yours. Your girlfriend's application is not something separate or something you take on by yourself. Can't provide insight into timing but you can't do anything til your divorce is done and you marry her anyways.

@ mushroomspore, understood RE: filing and the company's role. Thanks.

Just now, clumsden said:

@ mushroomspore, understood RE: filing and the company's role. Thanks.

They will be able to provide better insight into timing and the process of filing for your spouse when it comes time to. I don't believe you have to file with her at the same time. As in, you can get your H1B first and then file for your spouse after marriage. The company's the one with a legal team taking care of all this so it's best to defer to them directly.

1 minute ago, Khallaf said:

honestly if you love each other, than really no matter of distance or time, or space will cause a rift in any relationship, as there is a chance she can still come to visit you, and you can go back and forth.

my husband isn't coming into USA until Feb 2019 so we are still apart, our relationship was new, and we made it work, it takes love, honesty and respect, as well as dedication when it comes to being miles apart.

our distance is over 6K miles, and a travel of at least 19 hours one way... just a thought.

That's true...she seems to be up for it as an adventure; I just want to make sure our experience together is amazing and not seeing each other for weeks or months at a time (when we have seen each other every day for the last year) would be a major adjustment. It's a good job for sure - so something to consider with great seriousness. Thanks for your kind words.

Just now, clumsden said:

That's true...she seems to be up for it as an adventure; I just want to make sure our experience together is amazing and not seeing each other for weeks or months at a time (when we have seen each other every day for the last year) would be a major adjustment. It's a good job for sure - so something to consider with great seriousness. Thanks for your kind words.

As Canadians, you'll have a significantly easier time visiting each other during the separation period. I'm Canadian too and I never appreciated it as much as I have until the past year. We don't have to apply for a tourist visa just to come visit the US. Almost everyone else have to and denial rates are high in many places. Lots of other couples literally cannot see each other until the foreigner gets a fiance(e) or spousal visa.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, clumsden said:

not seeing each other for weeks or months at a time (when we have seen each other every day for the last year) would be a major adjustment

US immigration is an extreme adjustment for most of us.  Some of us have spent a year or more (some much longer) without seeing our spouses.  It is not a pleasant process.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.