visabee

B2 Visa for spouse of citizen

10 posts in this topic

Hi,

Im an expat based in PH, married to a local. While I live full time here  I would like to go with the family to visit the USA for a vacation. I have heard some bad stories about spouse of citizen getting denied tourist visa. My question is the following:

I dont mind to file for an IR 1, however I dont think I should because the truth is I have no plans to move to the USA. How can I convince the embassy to issue a tourist visa for a spouse? I know it sounds funny but can I somehow go through the IR-1 process and just say I want a tourist visa. See I dont mind waiting a year, paying the fee's and jumping through whatever hoops they want but I also wont lie and try to get a visa (ir -1 ) that I simply wont be using.

Any advice, guidance or tips would be helpful as its a bit of a stressfull situation. (we have traveled all over asia for over 10 years)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You do not do not anything for a Tourist Visa, down to your Spouse.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Apply would be the first thing.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

If you've traveled all over Asia for 10 years, and your wife has clear ties to the Philippines, she might get a tourist visa. I don't know what stories you've heard, but everyone's circumstances are different. Can't hurt to try. 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: Timeline

You don't do anything to convince anyone.

Your spouse has to overcome immigrant intent, just like every other B2 applicant around the world, by showing ties to their home country.

They apply online, go to the interview and answer any questions. That's all there is, pretty simple process.

Timeline

How will you show domicile, IR1 is for a Legal Permanent Resident.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

IR-1 is to immigrate and live permanently in the US, so that does not apply in your case.  Only option is B2.  Apply and see what happens.

17 hours ago, visabee said:

I see, let me ask this if we get denied for B2, can we apply for Ir-1 and just tell them the intent is to temporarily stay?

Please don't do this. There are couples who are waiting in the queue and they genuinely want to be together. Taking the spot in the queue will take away someone else's. 

The green card is not for temporary stay. Her main residence is in the Philippines therefore she would sooner or later abandon her US residence and the green card with it. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.