Ben & Katy

Crossing US/Mexico border by land CR-1 green card

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I have a question.

My spouse was issued her temporary residency on October 12th,2018 at the Juarez Consulate.  The same day we crossed to El Paso just so we could get all the paperwork at the POE done before we headed to our new home in Tucson on 10/13/18.  We headed back to Juarez that evening because I had a hotel reserved that I could no longer cancel, otherwise we would have headed to Tucson that day.  On 10/13/18 we cross the Juarez/El Paso boder again to head to Tucson.  

On Saturday, October 27th we went from Tucson to Magdalena,Sonora,Mexico to visit her folks and pick up things we had left behind (hadn't completed the move yet).  When we went to cross the border that same evening she crossed by foot and I crossed the car by Sentri in Nogales.  She told me that the agent thought that her visa was for tourism only because it looked similar to the tourist visa stickers that they put in the passport.  After conferring with another officer he said "Oh ok CR-1 category ok you can cross now." 

This past Saturday we had to go back to Nogales,Mexico for a doctors appointment at 10:30 am.  We crossed by car, went to the appointment, had breakfast, she then took a taxi to the other port of entry (Mariposa) to cross by foot since they had alot less foot traffic.  I proceeded from the restaurant to cross the car by Sentri again and then headed up to the gas station by Mariposa port of entry where she was going to cross.  

This time an agent gave her a bunch of ####### that under this visa she was limited to cross in and out, made a bunch of drama, conferred with another officer and then they let her cross.  We were only in Mexico this past Saturday for 2.5 hours.  She was told at the consulate during the interview that she could cross back and forth as much as she wanted as long as she continues living in the USA.  What is the real truth about CR-1?  Can you cross as much as you need?  We don't plan on crossing alot it is just that she has a doctor over there for her special treatment and needs to go back every now and then for appointments.  

We have to go back one more time next month for her follow up doctors appointment.   The good thing is that this Saturday she received her plastic green card and will become a trusted traveler (Sentri) next weekend.  Will these two things help her or were the agents just inexperienced?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

She was granted a CR1 visa at CDJ, not a temporary residence. Her residence will be the GC that you should get in the mail in a few weeks. 

If she has only the passport and visa stamp then she can't abandon the US, visa is one time entry only. After getting the GC she can go visit Mexico without issues.

NOA 1 *NEW* USCIS website: March 01, 2018

RFE USCIS website: September 26, 2018

RFE Hard copy: October 01, 2018

RFE Response Sent:  October 10, 2018

RFE Received by USCIS:  October 16, 2018

NOA2!!!!! *NEW* USCIS website: November 2, 2018

NVC Received: November 14, 2018

NVC Case Number: November 29, 2018

NVC In Transit: December 11, 2018

NVC Ready: December 13, 2018

Medical: February 18, 2019

CAS (Biometrics): February 19, 2019

Interview: February 20, 2019 - APPROVED!

CEAC Issued: Februery 27, 2019

VOH: March 12, 2019

POE: March 23, 2019

Marriage: May 10, 2019

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Forgive me if there is something I don't understand buy why aren't you crossing together? Her passport stamp should act as her greencard, her visa is no longer valid.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Daniela M_______ said:

She was granted a CR1 visa at CDJ, not a temporary residence. Her residence will be the GC that you should get in the mail in a few weeks. 

If she has only the passport and visa stamp then she can't abandon the US, visa is one time entry only. After getting the GC she can go visit Mexico without issues.

Thank you for the information!

Yes it was the mexican passport, CR1 sticker in passport and passport stamp.  This Saturday she got her Green Card in the mail and will get Sentri next week to cross faster.  

Wow I did not know that you could not go back and forth on the mexican passport/visa sticker.  Alot of friends and family have done it while waiting for their GC in the mail.  Good thing the agents didn't do anything to them LOL. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
1 minute ago, Ben & Katy said:

Thank you for the information!

Yes it was the mexican passport, CR1 sticker in passport and passport stamp.  This Saturday she got her Green Card in the mail and will get Sentri next week to cross faster.  

Wow I did not know that you could not go back and forth on the mexican passport/visa sticker.  Alot of friends and family have done it while waiting for their GC in the mail.  Good thing the agents didn't do anything to them LOL. 

I'm pretty sure you are not supposed to but I might be wrong. Looks like that was the issue... Anyways, she should not have any problems now that she has a GC

NOA 1 *NEW* USCIS website: March 01, 2018

RFE USCIS website: September 26, 2018

RFE Hard copy: October 01, 2018

RFE Response Sent:  October 10, 2018

RFE Received by USCIS:  October 16, 2018

NOA2!!!!! *NEW* USCIS website: November 2, 2018

NVC Received: November 14, 2018

NVC Case Number: November 29, 2018

NVC In Transit: December 11, 2018

NVC Ready: December 13, 2018

Medical: February 18, 2019

CAS (Biometrics): February 19, 2019

Interview: February 20, 2019 - APPROVED!

CEAC Issued: Februery 27, 2019

VOH: March 12, 2019

POE: March 23, 2019

Marriage: May 10, 2019

Timeline
Just now, ThomasNC1988 said:

Forgive me if there is something I don't understand buy why aren't you crossing together? Her passport stamp should act as her greencard, her visa is no longer valid.

Here in the Southwest where all the border states with Mexico are, the lines are very,very long to cross.  

I have a fast pass (SENTRI card) to cross the border in minutes while others way hours to cross by car.  She doesnt have a fast pass yet so she cannot cross with me in the fast lane.  So she walks across where it is alot faster and I go by car through the fast lane (sentri-trusted travelers).  By next week she will also have a Sentri Card and will cross with me from then on.  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Ben & Katy said:

Here in the Southwest where all the border states with Mexico are, the lines are very,very long to cross.  

I have a fast pass (SENTRI card) to cross the border in minutes while others way hours to cross by car.  She doesnt have a fast pass yet so she cannot cross with me in the fast lane.  So she walks across where it is alot faster and I go by car through the fast lane (sentri-trusted travelers).  By next week she will also have a Sentri Card and will cross with me from then on.  

Ahh, makes sense. They should be concerned with her 551 stamp which acts as a greencard for 1 year not her visa. Doesn't matter now that she has her actual greencard. Important to remember that they can refuse her if they feel she has abandoned her status for any reason and only US citizens are guaranteed entry, but very unlikely they would.

Timeline
1 minute ago, ThomasNC1988 said:

Ahh, makes sense. They should be concerned with her 551 stamp which acts as a greencard for 1 year not her visa. Doesn't matter now that she has her actual greencard. Important to remember that they can refuse her if they feel she has abandoned her status for any reason and only US citizens are guaranteed entry, but very unlikely they would.

The thing that stinks about going to mexico by land is that they have no way of knowing when you left the USA for Mexico.  (At least in Nogales, Lukeville/Sonoita ports).  Cant speak for the California and Texas ports. 

So for example they would not be able to see that my spouse and I were only in Mexico for 2.5 hours for a doctor's appointment and then we returned to Arizona.  She has one more doctor's appointment this weekend and after that no more Mexico until New Year's eve to visit the inlaws. 

When you leave the country in an airport its registered.  So they can see if you have abandoned residency or not.  

13 hours ago, Daniela M_______ said:

I'm pretty sure you are not supposed to but I might be wrong. Looks like that was the issue... Anyways, she should not have any problems now that she has a GC

The endorsed visa acts like a green card. Upon endorsement she can travel with her passport. She did nothing wrong by crossing back and forth. 

Timeline
5 hours ago, little immigrant said:

The endorsed visa acts like a green card. Upon endorsement she can travel with her passport. She did nothing wrong by crossing back and forth. 

See this really bugs me that USCIS puts people at the border ports that are so unqualified for the job.  Civilians end up knowing more about the law than the actual agents.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.