bf__

I-129F Divorce Proof

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We have a previous marriage in our case.

All we have (and all we sent to USCIS) is the "Judgement of Divorce" for Michigan.

From the paperwork:

IT IS ORDERED:

1. Absoloute Divorce. The marriage is dissolved and the parties are divorced.

I'm not totally sure what the procedure is for Michigan, but to me this means we are legally free to marry.

I'm not sure if this will be enough for our case. Has anyone else had any experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Just looked at what my fiance brought me recently while visiting. Well, we are at NOA1 stage yet as well, and we filed the same document, Judgement of Divorce, which on its back bears a stamp "Filed" (actually two of them from different states). My fiance is divorced twice, so he knows what certifies a marriage dissolution. I think it's the proof.

Edited by HP+IC

Timeline
10 minutes ago, HP+IC said:

Just looked at what my fiance brought me recently while visiting. Well, we are at NOA1 stage yet as well, and we filed the same document, Judgement of Divorce, which on its back bears a stamp "Filed" (actually two of them from different states). My fiance is divorced twice, so he knows what certifies a marriage dissolution. I think it's the proof.

Perfect. We have a similar stamp, just in Michigan (the ex husband lives in Virginia).  The stamp says it's the same copy that's on file at the courthouse. 

Thank you for your reply :)

12 minutes ago, HP+IC said:

We needed the judge signed "Dissolution of Marriage".  They also required a signed copy of the MSA for us.  I don't think everyone has that request though.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, John & Rose said:

We needed the judge signed "Dissolution of Marriage".  They also required a signed copy of the MSA for us.  I don't think everyone has that request though.

Every state is different but the only constant is that it is the document signed by the court

YMMV

Timeline
4 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Every state is different but the only constant is that it is the document signed by the court

I think the issue lies in that every state has a different name for this document.

I have received a message from another Michigan based filer who's said that what they sent was the same as ours, and they received approval.

The three basic points are:

• It's signed by the judge
  • It's stamped and marked saying it's the same as the one on file in the court
  • It rules "Absolute Divorce" 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, brandonflude1 said:

I think the issue lies in that every state has a different name for this document.

I have received a message from another Michigan based filer who's said that what they sent was the same as ours, and they received approval.

I was thinking I was hearing an echo until bullet point three.  Nowhere on my document is the word "absolute " used.

Different state,  different form, different words.  Judge signed and decree entered 

YMMV

Timeline
2 minutes ago, brandonflude1 said:

U can either have a "certified" copy of divorce decree. Or copy of divorce decree. 

As I only sent my most resent divorce decree with my petition. I received a rfe for my first marriage. Who would think that u need to prove ur first marriage was dissolved in order to marry a second time.

anyways. 

Went to court house and asked for a copy of first divorce. 

event.png

https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do OLD SITE

https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/ NEW SITE

https://www.house.gov/representatives US Congressmen 

https://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm US Senators 

IN REGARDS TO WHICH DATE TO USE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

noa1 date is actually they date on ur hard copy. Sadly if u reach the magical 220 day u must wait till 225 to contact Uscis. They use what the new site says. Even if ur paper says X date. 

They added 5 days onto everyone’s accepted on NOA1

Timeline
8 minutes ago, BJ & Christine said:

U can either have a "certified" copy of divorce decree. Or copy of divorce decree. 

As I only sent my most resent divorce decree with my petition. I received a rfe for my first marriage. Who would think that u need to prove ur first marriage was dissolved in order to marry a second time.

anyways. 

Went to court house and asked for a copy of first divorce. 

The instructions to the form are explicit:

4. Termination of Previous Marriages If either you or your beneficiary were married before, submit evidence that all previous marriages were legally terminated. Evidence of termination of previous marriages may include a divorce decree, annulment, or death certificate issued by a civil authority

YMMV

Timeline
Just now, payxibka said:

The instructions to the form are explicit:

4. Termination of Previous Marriages If either you or your beneficiary were married before, submit evidence that all previous marriages were legally terminated. Evidence of termination of previous marriages may include a divorce decree, annulment, or death certificate issued by a civil authority

Sorry had to switch devices as ipad is a POS.

ANYWAYS  

Here is what uscis wants word for word. No more guessing.

20181026_155650.jpg

event.png

noa1 date is actually they date on ur hard copy. Sadly if u reach the magical 220 day u must wait till 225 to contact Uscis. They use what the new site says. Even if ur paper says X date. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, BJ & Christine said:

Sorry had to switch devices as ipad is a POS.

ANYWAYS  

Here is what uscis wants word for word. No more guessing.

20181026_155650.jpg

But the title of the document will vary from state to state

"Dissolution of Marriage" for JohnandRose

"Judgement of Divorce" in Michigan

and mine is titled "Stipulated Findings Of Fact, Conclusions of Law, Order For Judgement and Judgement and Decree"

YMMV

Timeline
3 minutes ago, payxibka said:

But the title of the document will vary from state to state

"Dissolution of Marriage" for JohnandRose

"Judgement of Divorce" in Michigan

and mine is titled "Stipulated Findings Of Fact, Conclusions of Law, Order For Judgement and Judgement and Decree"

Since original post the person was from Michigan and I happen to be from there also. I was giving them the info that pertains to them....

event.png

Timeline
5 minutes ago, BJ & Christine said:

Since original post the person was from Michigan and I happen to be from there also. I was giving them the info that pertains to them....

Fair enough,  however,  this will be read by hundreds of members not all from Michigan who may have the same question,  so providing broader based info is beneficial as well 

YMMV

Timeline
7 minutes ago, BJ & Christine said:

So what did you send to USCIS for the divorces? Did you send a "Judgement of Divorce" for both, or did you get something else?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

BTW, no 'absolute divorce' wording on either of our judgements. Just 'marriage dissolved' due to irreparably broken relationship bla-bla-bla and back to pre-marriage names. I believe, this is state-specific. And one of our copies seems to be 'certified' because it bears a specific statement to that effect.

Edited by HP+IC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.