hyommysone

Jury Duty mail received while on Green Card

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I received a mail that states official jury notice. I never claim US citizenship nor registered to vote and I know jury duty should be restricted to US citizens only (not sure). 

To people who received this mail and while on green card (permanent resident), do you just ignore this or do you respond that you are not a citizen?

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
19 minutes ago, hyommysone said:

Hi,

I received a mail that states official jury notice. I never claim US citizenship nor registered to vote and I know jury duty should be restricted to US citizens only (not sure). 

To people who received this mail and while on green card (permanent resident), do you just ignore this or do you respond that you are not a citizen?

Thank you!

It's best to return it and say that you are not a citizen. Technically, they can issue a warrant for your arrest for not appearing for jury duty, but very rarely if at all. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Keep at least one copy of whatever you return to the court when you describe your ineligibility!  Put it with your important immigration papers.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Thank you for the helpful responses! I will respond and make a copy that I am not a US citizen.

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

I got one many years ago. On the form they had options for not being able to serve. But for some reason, immigration status was not on there. So I called the bailiff, explained. They told me to write it on and send it back to them. It never  happened again. I think in my case, this was before they updated everything at the DPS here in Texas. Now you have to show greencard and all that when you renew the driver license. I was able to renew online in the past until they changed that. So I guess they send it to me shortly after I moved back to Texas. 

Yes, right way to respond. I wouldn't just ignore it. 

I remember I was all exited about getting it. Even if I couldn't serve of course. Still. 😀

I got one last summer. I just called and told them I was a lpr and not a US citizen. She said OK you're good. And that was it. I never had to send anything back. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.