Balikpinoy

Getting ITIN for my Filipina wife

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello all.  

From previous posts and search, there seems to be 3 accredited IRS service centers that were able to process W-7 form for ITIN for foreign spouses.  However, the links are now not working.  Has anybody recently tried to acquire an ITIN for their spouse based based in the Philippines.  What's the process now?  

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

you can only apply for the ITIN when you file your tax returns

the spouse will fill out the W7 (labeled for 2018 when it tax forms are available)

you send this to IRS with tax returns and copy of marriage certificate and proof of birth

process is a US IRS process / not related to Phillipines

I did it for my 2010 returns as i married in that year

he arrived in US in 2015

also check the box on the DS 260 for her new SS #/ saves a lot of time and stess later

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-alien-spouse'

follow the IRS site for all info (as things do change)

Edited by adil-rafa

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have heard from a few others that they were not able to get an ITIN from those sites for their spouse in the Philippines.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

16 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

I have heard from a few others that they were not able to get an ITIN from those sites for their spouse in the Philippines.

I've been trying to do this too.  So far I've run into brick walls.  One issue is that I am taking Rose to Hong Kong and Macau on my next visit to the Philippines.  I have her passport with me but they are claiming as many as 14 weeks if I send it in.  They have agents (usually tax attorneys or H&R Block) who can file without sending the passport to the IRS but the cheapest I've found so far is over $500 just to file.  I may try again after this visit so I may eat this year's deduction and file 2019 taxes when she is with me and has an SSN.

Edited by John & Rose

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I sent my husbands passport off with the ITIN application and the tax return.

When I went back to see him I took the passport back with me.

of course that is by far the easiest thing to do, a friend of his brought it to the USA and mailed it to me, and I sent it off with the signed ITIN

42 minutes ago, Khallaf said:

I sent my husbands passport off with the ITIN application and the tax return.

When I went back to see him I took the passport back with me.

of course that is by far the easiest thing to do, a friend of his brought it to the USA and mailed it to me, and I sent it off with the signed ITIN

My problem is they say it takes 14 weeks before I get her passport back if I mail it in.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
2 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

My problem is they say it takes 14 weeks before I get her passport back if I mail it in.

it can, I sent in a letter with mine, and a self address stamped envelope with tracking that was an express, asked them to please processes ASAP and let them know I was going back to see my husband and he needed his passport back, I got it back in 3 and a half weeks.

7 minutes ago, Khallaf said:

it can, I sent in a letter with mine, and a self address stamped envelope with tracking that was an express, asked them to please processes ASAP and let them know I was going back to see my husband and he needed his passport back, I got it back in 3 and a half weeks.

Thank you for the information!  That is great to hear!

IMG_5168.jpeg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.