5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm currently finishing the K1 process but I have a question about the AOS medical.

I had my medical in London on 05/09/2018 so at the time it was out of flu season and therefore they didn't give me a flu vaccination. My interview isn't until 17/10/2018 (which is in flu season) so I emailed the medical centre to check and they basically said that now it is flu season I will need to get one or be prepared to get one for AOS. Therefore, I got the flu vaccination done in the UK on 13/10/2018 so that I'm ready but since it is after my medical it's not on my DS-3025. I have got evidence from the pharmacy that gave me the flu vaccination to prove I've had it though.

So my question is whether I will need to see a civil surgeon in the US before we submit the AOS documents to get them to sign off on the form i693 that I've had it? I wanted to be able to use the results of my medical in the UK for my AOS (as I told them at the medical so they would ensure everything is ticked off) but it seems they might have overlooked this. Has anyone else had this and found out what USCIS want you to do? I don't want to pay to see a civil surgeon if I don't need to, but I also don't want to exclude it from my application and then get a RFE later down the line because of it, so I was hoping someone might be able to help!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

18 minutes ago, nikki1992 said:

I'm currently finishing the K1 process but I have a question about the AOS medical.

I had my medical in London on 05/09/2018 so at the time it was out of flu season and therefore they didn't give me a flu vaccination. My interview isn't until 17/10/2018 (which is in flu season) so I emailed the medical centre to check and they basically said that now it is flu season I will need to get one or be prepared to get one for AOS. Therefore, I got the flu vaccination done in the UK on 13/10/2018 so that I'm ready but since it is after my medical it's not on my DS-3025. I have got evidence from the pharmacy that gave me the flu vaccination to prove I've had it though.

So my question is whether I will need to see a civil surgeon in the US before we submit the AOS documents to get them to sign off on the form i693 that I've had it? I wanted to be able to use the results of my medical in the UK for my AOS (as I told them at the medical so they would ensure everything is ticked off) but it seems they might have overlooked this. Has anyone else had this and found out what USCIS want you to do? I don't want to pay to see a civil surgeon if I don't need to, but I also don't want to exclude it from my application and then get a RFE later down the line because of it, so I was hoping someone might be able to help!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

This question plagued me and there are a few threads on the topic but I have no clue how to find them. 

The just of it is this:

The I485 instructions regarding the I693 make mention of having a choice to redo your medical in the US prior to your interview or holding off until you receive advice for a new medical to be completed right before your interview or holding off entirely until after your interview and a checklist has been issued to you requesting a new medical be completed.

The threads I referred to above state that if you got your vaccinations done during non-flu season you are exempt from getting it even if you apply for AOS DURING flu season or have your interview DURING flu season. You medical is considered complete and valid as long as you apply for AOS one year from the date of your medical regardless of when your interview happens (which may occur after your medical is no longer valid) as long as you received all of the other required vaccines.

The ONLY thing that supercedes this is if the IO at your interview makes a request for you to redo the medical AT the interview.

So you have a choice to shell out the big bucks and redo your medical/find a US Civil Surgeon that will simply fill out the I693 with your updated flu vaccine record (which is hard to come by btw as most want you to redo the whole medical so they can charge you)

ORRRRRRRR

you can wait it out and see what they say at the AOS interview.

You have to keep in mind that those threads would NOT have been posted had not ppl gotten approved at their interview with a valid medical minus the flu vaccine and either applied for AOS during flu season without having the flu vaccine or were interviewed during flu season without having the flu vaccine.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
8 hours ago, nikki1992 said:

So my question is whether I will need to see a civil surgeon in the US before we submit the AOS documents to get them to sign off on the form i693 that I've had it?

Look at your DS-3025. The last column has codes for waivers. Is the influenza line marked F for "Not flu season"? If so you got a waiver and didn't need to get a flu shot. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
1 hour ago, Wuozopo said:

Look at your DS-3025. The last column has codes for waivers. Is the influenza line marked F for "Not flu season"? If so you got a waiver and didn't need to get a flu shot. 

Yes it is marked F so sounds like it might be okay. Thanks both of you for your advice. I won’t see a civil surgeon unless they require me to do so at the interview or at another stage of the process. 

My other query since doing some research last night is that it seems the DS2053 (I think that’s what the medical report is called) gets sent in the packet for POE and has a tick whether I have all the complete vaccinations. Then this is sent to USCIS for AOS?

The reason I ask is that when I went for the medical I was told I would need Td booster for AOS because I needed to have had one in the last 10 years (my last one was in 2007). When I went for the medical I had a really bad cold so the nurse advised against giving it to me at the medical because of the symptoms it might give me. So she said to go away and when I was better to go to my local GP to get the vaccination. She said they would hold my application until I’ve sent them the evidence I’ve had it so that it was all sent to the embassy complete for AOS. However, they didn’t do that and sent it 3 days before I had the shot in a ‘clinical error’ 🙄🙄

They sent me an updated copy of the DS-3025 after I raised to them that they have made a mistake but I had to argue with them to send the update to the embassy as they were saying it didn’t matter for k1 but for my peace of mind I wanted everything to match up. Especially since the date next to the signature on the form was over a week before the date for my last vacinnation so it just looks like I’ve written it in 🙄 they eventually sent it to the embassy but I don’t know if they would have ticked ‘US vaccinations complete’ on the other pages of the medical report. Do I ever get a copy of the full medical report so I can make sure it has been ticked off. Just concerned that they wouldn’t have ticked it off because they sent it to the embassy before I had the AOS required shots. Although on my DS-3025 they put B (insufficient time interval to complete series) for that shot so I’m hoping they would have ticked that it’s complete anyway. 

I’m probably over paranoid about the whole thing because they have been awful. They have made so many mistakes on my application and they don’t realise it until I tell them so. I just don’t trust them to do the right thing anymore since they can’t seem to get it right. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

All of this boils down to what your officer says on the day of the AOS interview. Not all officers even know what their manual says about K1s. People are told many different things at interviews that contradict each other. You have done everything you can so drop the paranoia because no matter how many stories you read, it could go differently for you.

So the scenario is this.--

You may get a notice before interview to bring an I-693 if not already submitted. That is a generic form letter and not specific to you because somebody has reviewed your file. Consider yours submitted because you had a medical and the shots.  Go interview, show your new form, and tell your Knightsbridge story if you are said to be missing shots. At least you actually understand the shots and waivers and can make your points. You may be fine, or could even be told your medical has expired. So the best case scenario is all is accepted. The worst case scenario is you have to go get a medical exam. You go spend your money then after it is clear what your officer wants from you. Then the results go straight back to your officer and he finishes off the approval. It is a short delay and really after you wait almost a year for a greencard, two more weeks without one is nothing.

Ask your London interviewer about what papers he's got in the file. You won't get to see them after that. Ask your questions of him. He's Dept of State and not USCIS, so not super up on AOS rules but he has your medical file before him.

Edited by Wuozopo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.