mahoroty22

RE-MARRYING in the PHILIPPINES as a USC

12 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! Just have couple of questions that has been troubling me for some time. Hopefully i can get answers through here and possibly help not only me but also others in the same situation as mine. 😊

Heres my situation:

I was married in 2014 in the Philippines with a filipina, i was only still a greencard holder that time (Filipino citizen). Then by 2016 she started to have a change of heart and to make story short, wanted to have her own separate way with another person. In 2017, i was granted my US citizenship. After trying my best to work things out with her, I ended up filing for our divorce here in the US (some people said i didnt really have to but i just want things to be clear and done).

*she still in the philippines and still a filipino citizen.

*i heard about the recognition of divorce in the philippines, but someone told me i dont need to go through that since I am already a USC.

My questions:

1. As a current USC, is it possible for me to re-marry someone in the Philippines in the future? (Wanted to get married in a catholic church, if possible)

2. My ex-wife and I havent spoken to each other for a yr, but from what I heard, she's threathening me to make my life miserable. Is there any possibilities that she can sue me for anything after our divorced? And/or after marrying someone in the Philippines?

THANKS FOR THE HELP EVERYONE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

1. You can marry whoever you want

2. What would she sue FOR? She can be a b**** all she wants, but its unlikely to actually DO anything, other than being a pain in the rear. Many people have exes who are full of idle threats and nothing more than an annoying gnat flying around you. You live here, she lives in PH. not like she can show up at your doorstep.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

22 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

1. You can marry whoever you want

2. What would she sue FOR? She can be a b**** all she wants, but its unlikely to actually DO anything, other than being a pain in the rear. Many people have exes who are full of idle threats and nothing more than an annoying gnat flying around you. You live here, she lives in PH. not like she can show up at your doorstep.

Thank yoy very much debb.. from what i heard she would try to sue me for bigamy once i try to marry someone. That part i dont understand since she was the one who asked for all of these but anyways; i am really considering re-marrying in the philippines and im starting to like this girl from the Philippines. i just dont want that police would come my wedding day and put me in cuffs. Philippines has a no divorce law.

Philippines is a really strict country with divorces. I'm not sure how you would need to proceed - you might need a divorce recognized by the local government before you can get married. From what I've seen on forums, it's expensive and takes a lot of time. VJers with more experience could provide more answers.

Also - did you do the divorce by the book? Was there a division of assets?

Edited by GreatDane

Filed: Timeline

The Philippines recognizes that you as a US Citizen are divorced and free to marry since you were a US Citizen when you filed for the divorce.

Your ex-wife cannot marry someone in the Philippines until she get the Foreign Divorce recognized which is a process that can take months despite only needing 3 court dates.

If you are a dual citizen then you can inquire with a lawyer in PH to see if you can file for the recognition but generally the foreign citizen spouse can't be the petitioner.

As for getting married again in PH, as a US Citizen you will need to get the Affidavit from USEM instead of a CENOMAR. I don't know if this is complicated if you are a dual citizen.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 hours ago, mahoroty22 said:

Hi everyone! Just have couple of questions that has been troubling me for some time. Hopefully i can get answers through here and possibly help not only me but also others in the same situation as mine. 😊

Heres my situation:

I was married in 2014 in the Philippines with a filipina, i was only still a greencard holder that time (Filipino citizen). Then by 2016 she started to have a change of heart and to make story short, wanted to have her own separate way with another person. In 2017, i was granted my US citizenship. After trying my best to work things out with her, I ended up filing for our divorce here in the US (some people said i didnt really have to but i just want things to be clear and done).

*she still in the philippines and still a filipino citizen.

*i heard about the recognition of divorce in the philippines, but someone told me i dont need to go through that since I am already a USC.

My questions:

1. As a current USC, is it possible for me to re-marry someone in the Philippines in the future? (Wanted to get married in a catholic church, if possible)

2. My ex-wife and I havent spoken to each other for a yr, but from what I heard, she's threathening me to make my life miserable. Is there any possibilities that she can sue me for anything after our divorced? And/or after marrying someone in the Philippines?

THANKS FOR THE HELP EVERYONE

"  some people said i didnt really have to but i just want things to be clear and done "          You need a divorce or an annulment to marry a 2nd time... hopefully you don't listen to some people very often.

1)   Being your divorce took place after you were a USC you can get it recognized in the Philippines  ... UNTIL you get the divorce recognized in the Philippines (RTC court process) you can marry any place in the world EXCEPT the Philippines.        

Catholic church .. hmm ... don't know that it accepts divorce .. that church may very likely require an annulment, you will have to check with your church.

2)   She can't make your life as miserable now as she could have  ...   you may of dodged a bullet.   :girlwerewolf2xn:

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

7 hours ago, Hank_ said:

1)   Being your divorce took place after you were a USC you can get it recognized in the Philippines  ... UNTIL you get the divorce recognized in the Philippines (RTC court process) you can marry any place in the world EXCEPT the Philippines.        

Asking for a little clarification on this one.

I was married in PH in 2009 and divorced in US in 2013, great woman just didn't work out.

I recently married another woman in PH without issue, no ROD was ever filed on the first marriage.

From what I understand as a USC even if I lived in PH I couldn't file for the ROD.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, You Don't Know Me said:

Asking for a little clarification on this one.

I was married in PH in 2009 and divorced in US in 2013, great woman just didn't work out.

I recently married another woman in PH without issue, no ROD was ever filed on the first marriage.

From what I understand as a USC even if I lived in PH I couldn't file for the ROD.

Without the divorce being recognized in the Philippines your 1st marriage is still on the records would be my thinking.

I gather when you married this 2nd time all you did was get the affidavit of legal capacity from the embassy and were not asked for a CENOMAR ...     

I would suggest talking to an attorney in the Philippines.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

On 10/11/2018 at 9:49 AM, Hank_ said:

Without the divorce being recognized in the Philippines your 1st marriage is still on the records would be my thinking.

I gather when you married this 2nd time all you did was get the affidavit of legal capacity from the embassy and were not asked for a CENOMAR ...     

I would suggest talking to an attorney in the Philippines.

Adding to what Hank said "You should talk or find an attorney (a TRUSTED AND RELIABLE ATTORNEY).   My friend had horrible experience after spending a lot of $$$ and time, the attorney just disappeared.  Also it's a lengthy process.  

N-400 (Online - Seattle Field Office)

(00days) 2018-10-01 Filed ONLINE - received Payment Confirmation the same day - paid by Credit Card

(04days) 2018-10-05 Received NOA by mail

(05days) 2018-10-06 Received email - Biometrics appointment is scheduled

(09days) 2018-10-10 Check my online account and my Biotmetrics Notification is attached and available

(11days) 2018-10-12 Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed - Walk-in no problem; saved 2 weeks (Original appointment date is Oct. 26)

(436days) 2019-12-11 I am US Citizen now!!!

17 minutes ago, The Conqueror said:

Adding to what Hank said "You should talk or find an attorney (a TRUSTED AND RELIABLE ATTORNEY).   My friend had horrible experience after spending a lot of $$$ and time, the attorney just disappeared.  Also it's a lengthy process.  

Here's an article online:

http://philfaqs.com/marriage-nationality-and-divorce

N-400 (Online - Seattle Field Office)

(00days) 2018-10-01 Filed ONLINE - received Payment Confirmation the same day - paid by Credit Card

(04days) 2018-10-05 Received NOA by mail

(05days) 2018-10-06 Received email - Biometrics appointment is scheduled

(09days) 2018-10-10 Check my online account and my Biotmetrics Notification is attached and available

(11days) 2018-10-12 Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed - Walk-in no problem; saved 2 weeks (Original appointment date is Oct. 26)

(436days) 2019-12-11 I am US Citizen now!!!

I would say per this article and PH SC Ruling you are free to marry in the Philippines.

https://carpiodelacruzlawoffice.wordpress.com/2015/03/05/local-adoption-requirements/

"The Court, thus, recognized that the foreign divorce had already severed the marital bond between the spouses. "

If anything you might want to see if the PSA will allow your CEMAR to be annoted that the first marriage is null and void using your US Divorce..

Edited by You Don't Know Me

Timeline
34 minutes ago, You Don't Know Me said:

I would say per this article and PH SC Ruling you are free to marry in the Philippines.

https://carpiodelacruzlawoffice.wordpress.com/2015/03/05/local-adoption-requirements/

"The Court, thus, recognized that the foreign divorce had already severed the marital bond between the spouses. "

If anything you might want to see if the PSA will allow your CEMAR to be annoted that the first marriage is null and void using your US Divorce..

That would require the document be ... RECOGNIZED in the Philippines.  ;)  

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.